1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Looney Tunes Platinum Collection Coming to Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by SpongeJosh, Jul 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpongeJosh

SpongeJosh A Bold Kid

From a panel listing for the San Diego Comic-Con:

And you thought The Looney Tunes Show coming to DVD was news. If this release is anything like what we've heard about the Tom and Jerry Golden Collection -- uncensored, restored from original elements, in chronological order -- we're in for a real treat.

2. chalmers

chalmers Role Model

Really now? Hmm... Well, we'll of course need more information, but if it's anything like the T&J set, and it has new content and not just double dips of shorts we already have on DVD, I'll be quite pleased.

Also, I'm assuming it'll be like the T&J set and have both a Blu-Ray and a DVD release.

3. Angilasman

Angilasman Active Member

Oh, please let this be what The Golden Collection turned out not to be: a complete Looney Tunes set. They can even keep costs down by combining new-to-DVD shorts and ones already restored for the Golden Collections.

Can't wait!

4. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

Bugger, it'd be nice to have new shorts, but then Warner would be asking me to ultimately convert to Blu-Ray and a purchase half-composed of re-releases.

5. speedy fast

speedy fast Active Member

I would expect the point of this set to be to get Looney Tunes on blu-ray. I'd expect this set to primarily contain stuff from the Golden Collections (and maybe Super Stars sets). I'll be surprised if this has any new-to-DVD shorts, and especially surprised if all of it is new-to-DVD.

Then again, was it said if this will come to both blu-ray and DVD, or just blu-ray?

6. Angilasman

Angilasman Active Member

I'm gonna cross my fingers for "Beanstalk Bunny" and "Tom Turk and Daffy"!

:anime:

7. SpongeJosh

SpongeJosh A Bold Kid

I'm also pretty sure this will largely be a retread of the Golden Collection, as the main selling point of the set will be Looney Tunes in HD. That said it will probably be on DVD too. Although the listing only mentions blu-ray, we know that the Tom and Jerry set will also be on DVD, so I'd assume this Platinum Collection will be as well.

8. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I think I read the T&J bluray collections are going in production order, right? If so, I imagine that's what LT will do except mixing those Bosko with Merrie Melodies. I do doubt they will short change the superstars like Bugs and Daffy.

9. SF4Ever

SF4Ever Active Member

More Looney Tunes!!! May WB continue to keep the classics rolling. Next month, I plan to add to my cartoon DVD collection by buying yet another DVD with the classic Looney Tunes on there, maybe one with more of Bugs, Daffy and Porky.

10. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Unless Warner wants this version to die on the vine rather quickly, they'll skip the chronological format for this.

11. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Chronological character sets wouldn't be such a bad idea- they could start with Bugs, then Daffy, and work their way through all the major characters. But chronological sets that would go strictly by year, yeah, I have a feeling only the hardcore fans and animation buffs would bother with the early to mid 30s stuff. They're just not as well known or popular. This is especially true of the 1934-early 1936 era, which had a LOT of one shots and attempts at recurring characters that really didn't take off until Porky hit it big.

12. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Yeah if anything, outside of character oriented discs (which would probably take a billion years to complete anyway), chronology only works if you start at 1939 and eventually work your way back since that first decade's worth is really for the serious diehards.

13. Trevor

Trevor Active Member

Or what they could do is, if they have an enclosed booklet letting you know what shorts are on what disc, just put in brackets beside the short its release year. That way if the person playing the Blu-ray wants to watch the shorts in chronological order they can, but WB wouldn't be putting them on Blu-ray in that order.

14. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

After all, none of us could see 'The Best Of Buddy' on Amazon's top seller list.

15. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

As much as I doubt it will happen, at least getting the complete Bosko and Buddy shorts out and over with would be a dream for completists. Besides, if they were to do it that way it could feature Bosko, Buddy, and Porky spread across five to six discs with 15 - 30 shorts a disc. What I'm really thinking now is if they start with Porky and Daffy first and then lead into Bugs, save the Bosko and Buddy shorts for a prequel set only available through Warner Archive.

16. Angilasman

Angilasman Active Member

The Golden Collections were made too lopsided by having a bunch of classics in the first few sets and later sets that eschewed too much to the obscure to make up for it. I think a happy medium should be reached from the begining.

17. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

I was under the impression that, to make a "Best Of" set, you actually need to have shorts worth watching. :sweat:

18. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

That's exactly what I think they should do.

19. Trevor

Trevor Active Member

Or maybe what Warner Brothers should do is take a page from Disney and release the Black and White Cartoons in 2 or 3 volumes by chronological order and then release the color cartoons in a seperate volume, just like Disney did with the Mickey Mouse in Black and White Volumes 1 & 2/Mickey Mouse in Living Color Volumes 1 & 2.

20. SF4Ever

SF4Ever Active Member

Don't expect that to happen- Warner Bros. could release its old B&W cartoons, if they chose to, but right now, it isn't necessary. WB is making a boatload of money with its DVD sales of those classic Looney Tunes shorts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.