1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Looney Tunes & Merrie Melodies: Print/Transfers Availability Guide

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by Cool_Cat, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Cool_Cat

Cool_Cat Active Member

So, first of all there's a similar thread on toonzone, but it's not entirely the same as this is mostly a quality guide. All the specific differences should go on the other thread.

Before the 80s (and even later actually) many TV stations used to keep 16mms and broadcasted those. Some in Europe were used for foreign dubs and WB usually have these in their archives.

Now, before the first Golden Collection, pre 48 color shorts and Harman Ising MMs were owned by MGM/United Artists (then Turner Entertainment), hence they were mastered in different times.

Pre 48:

The first batch should include all the shorts they had, even the Censored 11. These transfers are really old, probably early 80s, and they used whatever was available at the time. The color correction is really disturbing, some have a heavy red tint on them. It's still the only way to watch some short in their original form, as these were completely uncut.

[​IMG]

Aviation Vacation for an example looks really awful.

Then MGM started to remaster some shorts for home video releases. The first was Cartoon Festivals. list is here: http://looney.goldenagecartoons.com/DVDvideo/VHS/videocarfest.html

These transfers are a great improvement over the previous ones. You can tell they come from this release or later home video releases by looking at the colored borders on the titles.

[​IMG]

Then two more releases came out. One was the Bugs Bunny collection (http://looney.goldenagecartoons.com/DVDvideo/VHS/videomgmbugs.html), and Cartoon Moviestars (http://looney.goldenagecartoons.com/DVDvideo/VHS/videocarmovs.html). Some from the last set didn't have colored borders, but you can tell it's a more recent transfer.

Then after Cartoon Network came out, new transfers were made for Turner entertainment in around 1994. These were not made with the original negatives, but with what was available at the time. Some look REALLY good, some instead are awful as they were sourced from faded 16mms.

[​IMG]

Then in 1995 a track for foreign dubs was made on these versions. They used cues either from pre 48 shorts or music tracks for post 48 shorts to cover the English dialogues. Some were done really well, while some very poorly like in The Unruly Hare. This is when they took these transfers and put an altered ending card with a copyright disclaimer, which upset many people. I'm not sure if these were done before or not, but cuts were made on racially offensive scenes. In particular Confederate Honey had been trimmed by over a minute by cutting all the black slaves scenes.

[​IMG]

Also, the Harman Ising MMs were redrawn in color in North Korea by the same people who recolored Popeye shorts. I personally can't stand these versions.

[​IMG]

Post 48:

First of all, for the Black and White shorts there are usually two existing transfers for each short. One has sometimes an altered intro, while the other has the intro cut. The first ones were used for the computer colorized versions in 1990/1992/1995.

Note that the PAL masters of the 1990 and 1992 batch most of the times have a bad color correction and frame blending.

Before the computer colorized versions, there were (sigh) the redrawn ones from 1968. Transfers were made for these too.

Now for the post 48 shorts, it gets REALLY tough to me to explain, because there's a billion transfers and I have no idea where some of these come from.

First of all, the Looney Tunes Video Show tapes had their own transfers. On the first volume they are very faded, with orange turning into yellow.

[​IMG]

From volumes 8 to 20, they still had faded colors (and I've never seen them on NTSC countries) and mostly they have a very weird telecine, making them impossible to look properly on a modern display.

[​IMG]

Transfers for this batch for an example exist for Gonzales Tamales, Lighter than Hare, Henhouse Henery, Zoom and Bored, Tweet and Lovely, Beep Prepared, Robin Hood Daffy and others.

Then still around this time there are many other transfers which I have no idea where they come from. I'll update this post once I learn on what VHS they were released.

I can list some, like these very messed up blend prints (coincidentally all the shorts I've seen like this are on the Video Show tapes):

[​IMG]

Or these other bad ones with ultra faded colors, with blending on PAL (Half Fare Hare, The Solid Tin Coyote, Merlin and the Magic Mouse, etc exist like this):

[​IMG]

Then the very known Golden Jubilee tapes had new transfers. These usually have colored borders. Depending on the tape, some look REALLY awful, like all the ones on the Speedy Gonzales, Tweety and Wile E. Coyote tape. The ones on the Elmer Fudd, Foghorn Leghorn and Pepe le Pew tapes look pretty nice instead. List is here: http://looney.goldenagecartoons.com/DVDvideo/VHS/videogoljub.html

[​IMG]

What's really wrong with these prints, other than being very faded and dark to the point where they alter the way the backgrounds were intended to look, is the way they were scanned. More a part is light and more it gets grainy, and darker parts look even darker while ligher parts look so light they glow out of the ink lines. Then it feels like they used some kind of bad projector, because on light part there are constant white lines moving vertically up and down (like the one on the picture). Sadly many of these are seen on TV.

Then finally in the late 80s WB made new transfers. These sometimes have black borders on the titles, and for the shorts not released on DVD it's the best way to see them. Some of these were released in Laserdiscs and VHS tapes in the US.

[​IMG]

WB/Turner merge era:

WB released in Europe a new set of VHS tapes with the first fully restored prints. These can appear with or without the 1997/1998 logo. For the shorts on which the music/effects track is lost, they remade the dub track in the same way as the Dubbed versions of 1995. Only some of these were released in the first Golden Collection set. The last batch looks perfect:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then WB in Japan released 3 Tweety DVDs with newly restored transfers. Also only some of these were then re released in the Golden Collection discs.

[​IMG]

Then the Golden Collections came. The first volume re used many previous prints and had some remastered, very similar to the Tweety ones. These exist also in HD, mostly without black borders (unlike the SD ones, and unlike what happens from the new ones from volume 2) and sadly have a lot of DVNR, especially in HD.

The second volume re used the Tweety DVD prints from Bad Ol Putty Tat to Snow Business and had new restored transfers by a completely new team. These are pretty over saturated sometimes, and sadly have altered fade outs. This was fixed in volume 3 but...

Since 2012 the new transfers started being very dark and had altered fade outs again. They also had green looking like dark yellow and red being very dark.

• Informative Informative x 1
    #1 Cool_Cat, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  2. victoria nguyen

victoria nguyen New Member

nice thank for the post

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. NewBogus :)

NewBogus :) Plastic Duck Saves the World

@Cool_Cat: You forgot in this article about that:
    1. Some EU Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies 1994-1995 prints has the altered ending cards. For example an EU Print of "The Heckling Hare" kept the Willoughby Dog closing line 'Nyah!', but in this print they changed the 1937-1938 MM closing logo into the 1947-1948 one. Or "A Feud There Was, 1938" in EU Print has altered ending music track and ending card.
    2. In 2005 Turner channels in Europe replaced prints for 4 cartoons (to remastered form, keeping the Turner Dubbed 1995 audiotracks): "Elmer's Candid Camera", "Tortoise beats Hare", "Book Revue" (Cartoon Network CEE and Boomerang CEE in Polish Audio Track muted Polish dubbed songs, which you can see here:
    and "Rabbit Transit".
    3. Some TV channels from 2010 in Europe started to replace the 1995 prints of shorts, which were released via DVD's (Golden Collection, Looney Tunes Super Stars, Looney Tunes Platinum Collection).

4. Dreth

Dreth Member

The 2012 - later prints rarely used black borders, however bluray prints (like "Life With Feathers" which was remastered in 2014) used black borders.
    Sometimes, prints that were restored for GC, were again remasted for Bluray (Like "A Corny Concerto").

EDIT: Some dubbed prints (ie: Detouring America, and the DVD Print of Fresh Hare), left scenes uncut.

5. Cool_Cat

Cool_Cat Active Member

@NewBogus :) This is not a thread on what transfers the TV channels use. Here in Italy for an example I saw the 1995 versions of those shorts as late as 2009.

6. Dreth

Dreth Member

Is there a guide for the B&W Looney Tunes prior to 1943?

7. Daffyrocks

Daffyrocks Woo-hoo-hooo!

8. Cool_Cat

Cool_Cat Active Member

Why does it have to be prior to 1943? It's the same.

9. Dreth

Dreth Member

Because we got Colorized Versions from 1990, 92 and 95 which are WB's "Dubbed Versions" of the cartoons, some of them also got altered ending cards too, (1937-39 Porky Pig Drumroll) replacing the 1939-46 drum ending seen on "Porky Pigs Feat" and "Jeepers Creepers"

10. Cool_Cat

Cool_Cat Active Member

If I had to list all that stuff I'd go crazy. The B&W shorts did have a lot of alterations on the intro/ending card, but in the same time the previous prints look more real to me than the restored versions. The dubbed tracks were made on B&W prints, but they're also there in the colorized ones.

The best prints for B&W shorts which aren't on DVD are the late 80s ones:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. Nodog

Nodog Particle Man

I have an A.A.P print of I Wanna Be A Sailor, 1937 from a P.D videotape. The A.A.P logo looks rather blue and this is not a Turner print.

[​IMG]

12. Cool_Cat

Cool_Cat Active Member

PD tapes do not count.

I'll list the post 48 episodes later.

13. Dreth

Dreth Member

Most of the high quality aap prints have a pink logo.

14. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

The blue AAP is not a Turner print, these are bootleg tapes. The AAP logo looks like the image below originally, as some of these bootleg tapes edit the opening from The Early Worm Gets The Bird onto the cartoon, then editing it so the title appears making it seem like the cartoon got the BR reissue when it really did not.

A Corny Concerto survives with its AAP print but in the mid 80s a bootleg tape used the blue AAP logo and stuck The Early Worm Gets the Bird BR opening then changed to the opening of A corny concerto.

You are right @Dreth. The purple one below is the original logo.

Turner eliminated the AAP logo from their dubbed prints.
    [​IMG]

15. Nodog

Nodog Particle Man

Yeah, back when making this post, I didn't really know any better.

Anyways, the a.a.p print of "The Wise Quacking Duck" used for the "Just Plain Daffy" VHS has borders around it (forgot which color), but the U.S dubbed version (seen on ToonHeads episode "The Many Moods of Daffy Duck" does not have any borders.
    [​IMG]
    If I made another mistake, correct me.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

AAP prints don't have borders @Nodog. It was MGM's 1987 prints that had light blue borders around them. The Turner dubbed versions then had different color borders around some cartoons opening titles.

17. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

Also, some of the prints from the Cartoon Festivals have blue/red borders around open/end titles. Some of these prints are the only surviving ones on the Internet, like A feather in his hare, Inki and the Lion, and Elmer's Pet Rabbit, other than the magenta bordered dubbed version.