1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Long Time "Simpsons" composer, Alf Clausen has been fired.

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by JTOONSAnimation, Aug 30, 2017.

1. JTOONSAnimation

JTOONSAnimation Active Member

Just revealed a couple hours ago, "The Simpsons" composer Alf Clausen has been fired after 27 years.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/simpsons-composer-alf-clausen-fired-1202543183/

For those who don't know, Alf Clausen was the show's composer from 1990-2017, over the years he has received multiple Emmy nominations for his work. His most recent scoring was for the season 28 finale, although he probably composed the music for a few season 29 episodes prior to today.

The only given reason we got for his firing was,"“Simpsons” producer Richard Sakai that the company was seeking “a different kind of music”".

There may have been other reasons to it but Fox currently refuses to release anymore information.

I believe that this was unfair to Clausen, has has been with "The Simpsons" since it began and removing him for new talent seems unfair, and to tell him over the PHONE!? That seems very fowl.

What do you think about this?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. DeanBurrito25

DeanBurrito25 Well-Known Member

That's...strange....and questionable.

Will there still be an orchestra in general? The show wouldn't feel the same without it.

3. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Just more reasons to cancel the show or at least not watch it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Zeether

Zeether Victory!

Cancel the show already. At this point it's becoming a horrendous mess.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Cartoon_Kid

Cartoon_Kid Customized

why should they cancel it, it's still a good show.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. M622

M622 Member

....interesting....I expect a reboot.

7. dothesmartthing

dothesmartthing Me too.

Well now, that was uncalled for.

8. fsaenz0125

fsaenz0125 Active Member

Well, that's it. All the hopes we have for seasons 29-30 is naught.

Clausen had been with the show since season 2. (Season 1 was composed by Richard Gibbs; the music there sounded very bland. Season 2 started off with three different composers before Clausen got hired starting with Treehouse of Horror)

I said it before and I will say it again: Modern Family Guy >>>> Modern Simpsons. (Heck, I'm even looking forward to FG's 16th season)

Good job continuing running the show, Al Jean. You should've let Matt Selman showrun the show starting with season 22, or even Ian Graham Maxtone during the last few years in the SD era.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Definitely have to agree here.

This firing definitely feels like a cost-cutting move in order to ensure more seasons of a show that should have ended many years ago.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. wiley207

wiley207 Well-Known Member

I actually gasped when I saw the news. I wonder if the new composer brought in will re-do the Simpsons opening and closing themes, as Alf Clausen did for the show's third season in 1991?
    Then again, compared to in the 90s and early 2000s, there hasn't been a lot of background music in the series. During the Mike Scully era, nearly every establishing shot typically began with one of Alf Clausen's stock music cues prepared for use with establishing shots. Nowadays the establishing shots are mostly silent, and even when an episode begins after the opening titles!

11. MegasMilo379

MegasMilo379 Active Member

Wow. I'm truly surprised.
    He (and his orchestra) truly was one of the best elements of the series (even after its Golden Age). His compositions definitely make watching this series feel like either a comforting check-in or a must-watch event, depending on the episode or even scene.
    Now that'll be gone with him. And I'm saddened.
    But at least we'll have his work across the earlier seasons (especially 2-10) to look back on and enjoy with love and honor.

12. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

That is disappointing, but I suppose his role as lowering over the years, and to be honest none of the background music has been good in the last few seasons its really boring. Though Its unfortunate to see Alf get fired after all his time.

13. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

This is not a great time and I have a feeling that fans blame a lot of problems that made the show to decline during the last decade on Al Jean.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

15. 19MagiswordLane

19MagiswordLane Toonzone's Crooner of Carnage, babe!

The entire 35 piece orchestra has also been let go:

16. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

I smell Fox meddling and trying to make the show for less money. Seth MacFarlane better watch his back, or rather Walter Murphy's.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Anyone know what episode is Alf's final? I might tune in just to witness the end of an era.

18. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

Alf Clausen, such an awesome composer for his great music for The Simpsons, so strange/uncalled for which that's so an unfair jerk move from Fox, poor Alf, his great music will be missed:(.

#18 Radical, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  19. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Nah, I'm betting this is on Fox. It's classic for them. Make huge budget cuts and have the producers be forced to decide what gets cut so the NoHomers blame them entirely. Fox WANTS me to blame Sakai for this. I'm not falling for it.