1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Lola Bunny's future?

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by dth1971, Mar 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monte

Monte Active Member

Just because a lot of hispanics LIKE speedy does NOT mean they regard him as a role model... Cause really there isn't enough there in his character to BE a good role model. A role model is someone you look up to and try to fashion your own life after; all he has ever been is a fast mouse that beats up a bad guy in a comical fashion. He was meant to entertain and nothing more. Same can be said of all the looney tune's characters; their cartoons were not meant to be life lessons to change others; they were meant to make people laugh. That ability to make people laugh alone is what kept these characters alive for decades...

Its nice when a cartoon character can be a good role model for kids, but not every character has to be like that. That's why its so wrong to compare Looney Tunes, to MLP. MLP was a show designed to tell stories and lessons; it doesn't just want to entertain, but it also wants to tell you something. Looney tunes has never done this; their goal has only been to entertain. They want to make you laugh not tell you how you should live your life. MLP has not changed anything in this regard... even before MLP there have been great cartoons with great characters who could make good role models for kids, but the existance of such characters does NOT undermine the existence of those characters that just want to entertain. In the 90's we had Batman TAS and Animaniacs; Batman was a hero kids could look up too, while Animaniacs were just there to make kids laugh. BOTH shows were great and are fondly remembered.

Heck when they created Lola for space jam, they tried to make her into a strong character and she ended up being the most bland and humorless. She just didn't fit in with all the other characters or the setting which was meant to just make people laugh. None of the looney tunes were meant to be role models, they were meant to be entertainers, and Lola is no different. The Looney tunes have lived for 80 years just making kids laugh... and that's all they need to ever do. Leave the life lessons for the super heroes, the avatars and the ponies.

2. Rainbow Dash Fan

But you can't change a character that was a role model. they tried that with Wonder Woman in the 70s and it didn't work. I did send WB a letter about this but not sure they got it.

3. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

First, Lola is the property of Warner Bros. They own the character, so they can do whatever they want with her.

Second, the point that you're either repeatedly missing or are simply choosing to ignore, is that Lola Bunny WASN'T regarded as a role model by the general public and still ISN'T now. YOU consider Space Jam Lola to be your role model, and that's fine, no one is saying you can't, but the reality is she was only ever intended to be a token female Looney Tune so the Tune Squad wouldn't consist of just guys and so more females would go to the theater to see the movie. A character's not automatically a role model and a hero to kids just because one person says they are. This whole "Lola was a strong role model" business is just something you've created in your head and are now projecting outward as though that was the studio's intention all along, when in truth that was never the case.

Similarly the Wonder Woman analogy you keep making doesn't work either, because WW and Lola belong to 2 different genres and are meant to do completely different things: the former is a super heroine meant to inspire people, the latter is just a silly cartoon character meant to entertain people and make them laugh. You want Lola and the Looney Tunes to teach good lessons and whatnot like superheroes and the Little Ponies, but that's not what they were meant to do; the Looney Tunes were only meant to make people laugh with their zany antics. That's it.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic has become popular and it teaches little life lessons and morals along the way, and that's cool, but there are still cartoons whose only purpose is to entertain and make people laugh, and the Looney Tunes characters fall into that latter category. MLP hasn't "set a standard" or "changed the standard" for anything in this regard. Both before MLP and in the wake of MLP, there have been characters meant to inspire and characters who are simply meant to entertain. This hasn't changed. Just because you've become a fan of MLP doesn't mean that every show and every cartoon franchise should try to emulate MLP. The Looney Tunes have endured for approaching a century just by being funny, zany, wacky toons, and the emergence of MLP: FiM hasn't done anything nor will it or should it do anything to change that.

If you prefer the SJ version of Lola, fine, say that, but you need to come up with a better reason for wanting WB to change the character besides "I and a few other kids on YouTube regarded the Space Jam version as a role model for girl jocks and boys who weren't good at sports". That's not gonna fly with WB execs, 'cause they never intended for Lola Bunny to BE a role model, and the character's prowess on the basketball court is irrelevant outside of the Tunes' connection to Micheal Jordan, which ended 18 years ago. All that matters to them is that the SJ version didn't get any laughs, while the LTS version did. And since the Looney Tunes were created to make people laugh, well....

If you really want WB to alter Lola's character, tell them you don't think the current version is funny. WB isn't going to revert Lola back into the bland version which got no laughs, nor are they going to turn Lola into Rainbow Dash because that's what one Brony wants.

#143 Silverstar, May 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2014
  4. Rainbow Dash Fan

I just want more of the old Lola, I and others can't just go back and watch Space Jam because it is just one movie and the new Lola has an entire show, that isn't fair. the old Lola did have some comics but they're out of print and probably not easy to get.

and down to earth females can be funny. a good cartoon example is Sasha la Fleur from "All Dogs go to Heaven: The Series"(don't care what anyone says, that show was good)

5. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

No one's talking about All Dogs Go to Heaven. That's irrelevant to the topic.

The fact of the matter is that there are plenty of good female role models out there. Yes, there should be more, but there also should be more female character who are just as funny and just as comically flawed as male characters are. The latter is what I personally think that Lola should be. Lola doesn't have to be all things to all girls. Why should Lola have to carry that particular burden just because she's female?

6. Monte

Monte Active Member

You can't compare Lola to Wonder Woman. Wonder Woman is a SUPER HERO; she is part of a very different genre, one that that is great at taking itself seriously and lends itself better to have more developed characters and stories that are better able to tell us a thing or two about life. Looney Tunes is meant to entertain, its meant to be comedic. To that extent, the SJ Lola was horribly out of place. She was pretty much nothing more than a token female without a single comedic bone in her body in a franchise that was all about comedy; heck she had the same personality as A LOT of other characters in fiction which would make it EASY to find another "role model" just like her. She was a one-note character and the only joke she could muster up was how other characters reacted to her sexualized appearance; and not even in the hilariously over the top way Jessica Rabbit did it. There was nothing to work with; if you seen the joke once you've seen it a hundred times and in this case the joke wasn't even that funny the first time. She was a character in desperate in need of an overhaul because they couldn't work with the old one

Looney Tunes show Lola on the other hand has a unique personality all her own. She's a Zany and hilarious character and is unlike any other looney tune character that came before her. She ADDS something to the dynamic of the others and like other Looney tunes characters she could carry a short all by herself if she needed to. THAT is a looney tunes character; That was a Lola who could entertain the masses and keep them Laughing.

7. Rainbow Dash Fan

I was giving an example of a down to earth female character that worked. and she wasn't immune to being the but of jokes either.

again, Lola can remain the way she is if she only takes responsibility, all other sitcoms I have seen have character development.

and there is still not much of an alternative for people like me as I explained above.

8. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

Guys give it up you are all better then this and you are not gonna change this commenters minds so just leave it dead

9. Silverstar

Why can't you go back and rewatch it? It's on DVD now, you can buy it and watch it as many times you like. Who's stopping you?

OK, now you're coming off like a spoiled child with a false sense of entitlement, and I don't think you want that. TLTS is over now, I don't get why you're still complaining about this. You just keep saying the same things over and over again, but whining isn't going to change anything.

There are much, much worse things that can happen to a person than a cartoon rabbit not being depicted the way they want. Instead of spiting and complaining about what WB is doing with the character that they own, why don't you use that frustration as motivation to create your own original character and make that character the strong female role model that you want so badly, and make her better than anything Lola ever was? The same time and effort that you're spending complaining could be used to make something original.

10. Rainbow Dash Fan

and there's another show I can give that has better female characters, the new Pound Puppies.

11. Silverstar

OK, I'm done with this. You're clearly not listening to anyone and you just want to complain, so I'm outta here.

12. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

Who cares there are some shows with role models and others with none that doesn't make any shows any more or less credible

13. Rainbow Dash Fan

again, the old Lola had only one movie and a few comics that are out of print and probably hard to get. and creating a new character won't solve anything, it has to be a new version of Lola.

and YOU are missing the point that it is mostly in comparing the two versions, the old fans, or at least I, don't want Lola back the way she was because she was a bit of a Mary Sue but still better then TLTS Lola.

and Lola doesn't have to represent all girls, the characters of MLP each represent a different type of person.

#153 Rainbow Dash Fan, May 11, 2014
  14. Monte

Monte Active Member

That's because there was not much WB could do with her. Again, she didn't fit in the Looney Tunes world. Looney Tunes doesn't have much use for unfunny characters. She was a one note character and her one note wasn't funny.

your actually contradicting yourself here. You said earlier that "they can't just change a character", and yet that's exactly what you are saying you would allow for. But its all moot; Looney Tunes is not a show that was even meant to be taken seriously, they were never meant to be role models; they were supposed to be comedians and entertainers. The new Lola fits PERFECTLY with the rest of the cast and even adds something that wasn't there before. New Lola is one of the best modern Looney Tunes character that WB has created.

15. Rainbow Dash Fan

okay, that's my bad but us older fans still want something similar to the old Lola, or at least, more of her. and there are rumors of a Space Jam 2.

and just talking about the TLTS version, Lola does too many morally wrong things to be likable, what she does to Bugs borders on abuse. in other comedies I've seen, even the zaniest characters are good people or at least are willing to change. it's called character development,

and I could write my own version of Lola but it wouldn't be cannon and not everyone would see it.

#155 Rainbow Dash Fan, May 11, 2014
  16. Narfpinky

Narfpinky ~splash~
    Staff Member Moderator

Two Lola threads surface and now a third has shown up.

Thread Closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.