1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Lola Bunny's future?

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by dth1971, Mar 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ivellios1988

ivellios1988 Member

No, the ones I'm talking about are traditional cartoons, not flash-animated movies.

2. looneyfan93

looneyfan93 Member

Well, basically, after Space Jam Lola Bunny appeared in:
    - Looney Tunes Mil-looney-um bumper (1999)
    - Walkers Crisps commercial (1999)
    - Tweety's High-Flying Adventure (2000)
    - various Looney Tunes video games like Operation: Carrot Patch (1998), Looney Tunes Racing or Space Race (2000)
    - Dating Do's and Don'ts (2001 Flash-animated webtoon)
    - Looney Tunes DC comics (occasionally as a pizza delivery girl who delivers pizza for various ancient myth creatures, there are also some European comics with her)
    - Baby Looney Tunes (2002-2005) (voiced by Britt McKillip)
    - Loonatics Unleashed (2005-2007) (not directly, but Lexi Bunny is considered to be Lola's descendant, especially when judging by her looks when she's not wearing her uniform)
    - The Looney Tunes Show (2011-present) (new look, changed personality, voiced by Kristen Wiig)

And that's pretty much all.

3. Printzen

Printzen Member

I don't think there are a future for Lola.

4. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

The way things are going NO Looney tune has a future

5. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

How do you figure that when the character has been used regularly and consistently in Looney Tunes projects since her debut in 1996? That's 17 years of consistent appearances. Regardless of how we may feel about the character in her current dimensions, I think it's safe to assume at this point that Lola has earned her place in the LT roster.

Seriously, where are you getting all this "the Looney Tunes franchise/Warner Bros. Animation/Cartoon Network is doomed" stuff from? There's another LT feature film in the works, and The Looney Tunes Show is actually doing well with its' target audience. You and a lot of your peers may not like it, but the kids whom the show is aimed at are eating it up. You shouldn't make bold statements like these unless you can provide solid evidence to back them up. The WB studio and the LT franchise aren't dying just because they're not doing what you personally want them to do.

6. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

There's ALWAYS a future

7. Rainbow Dash Fan

I would have liked TLTS Lola if she ever developed or we went in depth into the more positive parts of her personality. in all the shows I've seen, including sitcoms, 99& of female characters are strong and independent and all characters developed or were given insight. and there were people who looked up to the old Lola. it's like when they tried to change Wonder Woman to make her more feminist but found out, they made her LESS feminist. but it really is in comparing the two versions of Lola. I think because of the new My Little Pony, strong female characters are expected, speaking of which, Pinkie Pie is the new Lola done right.

8. Silverstar

While I'm all for seeing more dynamic female characters having prominent roles in cartoons, at the same time I'm not down with the notion of all female cartoon characters needing to be Strong Role Models (TM), because that's an unrealistic goal and frankly, kind of a double-standard. Not every male cartoon character is a positive role model, nor are they required to be, so why must we put the same unrealistic expectation on female characters?

Women are people, just like guys they come in all shades, personalities and dimensions, that's what I want to see depicted. True equality will never be achieved until female toons are allowed to be as quirky, kooky, edgy and comically flawed as their male counterparts.

9. Rainbow Dash Fan

probably but the problem is that Lola was taken as a role model by some and that should have at least been considered before changing her personality. that's where that comparison to turning Wonder Woman into a Karate girl comes from. and some of the male Looney Tunes are considered Role Models too. look at the new My Little Pony, it was made by a feminist and almost all the characters are role models.

10. Silverstar

Really? I've never heard anyone cite Lola Bunny or any character from MLP: FiM as their role models. I honestly don't know anyone who looks to animated animals from children's cartoon shows as role models, and frankly I feel sorry for anyone who does. If you're going to base your life or behavior on anything a cartoon character says or does, you're only setting yourself up for disaster.

The Looney Tunes and the Little Ponies aren't role models, nor did their creators ever intend for them to be role models. Those characters are meant to entertain and make people laugh, period.

Anyway, The Looney Tunes Show is over now, so all of this complaining about TLTS Lola is just beating a dead horse at this point.

11. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Yeah, Looney Tunes and the LT characters are just meant to entertain. They're not supposed to be role models or anything. If you personally didn't find that version of Lola to be funny, then that's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but you can't really accuse the character of not being something that she was never intended to be in the first place.

12. Rainbow Dash Fan

no, no, no. the characters of the NEW My Little Pony, at least, were intended to be role models, Lauren Faust made that one of her biggest goals while developing the show since she thought there weren't enough role models in girls shows, she is a feminist, after all. and because of that, strong female characters seem to be expected from kids shows now. and girls did get into basket ball because of Lola, check out this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyjwH1_NAp0

just because you don't personally know anyone who looked up to a cartoon character for some reason or another doesn't mean they don't exist.

13. Silverstar

14. Rainbow Dash Fan

it's just the new MLP set a new standard for female characters, or at least, revived an old standard. even in comedies I've seen, the characters grow and lean.

15. Silverstar

Some do and some don't. It really depends on the character and the show.

Trying to judge the Looney Tunes by the same standards as My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic doesn't really work because the inspirations and disciplines of those cartoons are completely different. You like MLP? Great, but that doesn't mean that every show has to be like MLP, nor does it mean that every female character has to be a positive role model for little girls. It's great if they are, but it shouldn't be a requirement or a necessity. Nobody's saying that Mordecai and Rigby from Regular Show are or have to be positive role models for boys, so why does Lola have to be a positive role model for girls? Is it really so wrong for a female character to just be funny? Why do female characters always have to be model representations of their entire gender just because they're female?

Anyway, the truth is we don't know what Warner Bros. has planned for Lola. All characters evolve; Bugs Bunny started out one way and he went through a number of different changes over the years, so no one can say for certain that TLTS version of Lola is or will be the final or definitive one. She could undergo any number of changes.

I'd personally be fine with kooky Lola, but if we get a smarter, more restrained version of the character that isn't a bland cipher, I'd be fine with that also.

#135 Silverstar, May 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2014
  16. Rainbow Dash Fan

I can name positive male role models or potential role models, particularly in MLP but I don't mention it that much because females are written badly far more often.

17. Goldstar Neo

Honestly, comparing The Looney Tunes Show to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is like comparing an orange to a cement mixer; they don't have enough in common with one another to be compared to each other.
    Anyway,The Looney Tunes Show is done. There aren't going to be any more episodes, so why fret about it now? Perhaps I'm being short-sighted here, but I really don't see the issue with this, nor do I see any reason to be upset.

And Looney Tunes was never about role models. It's about comedy.

18. Rainbow Dash Fan

again, Lola is not the only Looney Tunes character to be looked at as a role model. there's Speedy Gonzoles for one, dead serious. and I bring it up past the show's end because again, this Lola is popular, so, WB might stick with it.

19. Goldstar Neo

Speedy Gonzales isn't viewed by anyone as a role model. He's seen (by some) as an offensive ethnic stereotype. Not the same thing.

You know what? I've literally run out of things to say about this. I'm bowing out of this discussion because it has become circular. I honestly don't know what point you're trying to make here, nor do I know what you hope to accomplish by keeping it going for so long.

#139 Goldstar Neo, May 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2014
  20. Rainbow Dash Fan

no, Cartoon Network took Speedy's shorts taken off the air but a petition by a lot of people of Mexican decent made them put them back on. WB should have leaned their lesson in regards to Lola.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.