1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

lois and clark

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by c320, May 11, 2001.

1. c320

c320 Guest

hey just wondering what you guys thought about the old lois and clark series is there any chance of them updating it and what did you'll think about the way it ended i loved every episode and i'm sorry they took it off the air

2. Salvor

Salvor You can't take a picture of it

I didn't like the series at all. It wasn't exactly my type of show...

3. Nightwing

Nightwing WF Old Man

I think they did an excellent job. The show was kind of like a nice live action human way of showing Lois and Clark/Superman's relationship. My only gripe is, after 2 seasons or so the writing got sort of....strange. But Terri Hatcher made a great self absorbed, career driven Lois Lane, and especially Dean Cain made an excellent Superman.

There were a lot of great episodes, and quite a few enjoyable ones. But I don't think they'd be picking it up again. If they did, it'd be hard to stick to the awesome episodes and stories that the first season had, because Clark and Lois are married already, and in the last episode, they stumbled upon a child. Things would have been better with the way things were. That's where the awesome stories are.

Another reason I don't think they'd pick it up again, is Dean Cain's married with a kid. He doesn't have his Superman build anymore, he's a Daddy now. :)

Because of the direction the show eventually got, I'm glad they ended it. Things just got weird. But overall, I loved the show.

How bout a favorite Jimmy? I forgot the specific reason, but Jimmy was recast after like 2 seasons(?) or something. I thought they both did a great job being Jimmy, personally, so I can't chose.

4. I.R Joey

I.R Joey Yep my face got stuck this way

I liked it.

I liked it, I thought they did a good job of portraying the human side of Supes. Clark kent s the real man, but Superman is just there to help sometimes.

5. DR. BELCH

DR. BELCH Member

I enjoyed it also.

Let's face it, Teri Hatcher is a hot little number. I once told a young woman I admired that she was a dead ringer for Hatcher, but she responded, "Oh, I hate that b****!" She'd doing commercials with Howie Long...do I detect a little chemistry in the air with those two? Wink, wink, nudge, nudge? :D
    Unfortunately in the later episodes Lois' character seemed to soften somewhat and the plots became more convoluted and hard to follow (they're on again, they're off again, Lois loses her memory and at one point wants to marry Luthor--?!? Howie Mandel as Mxylzptlk? Then something about a Lois clone?). It hit a low point for me in the episode with H.G. Welles and some villain called Tempus. That's what killed the series for me...the stories went from crisp and exciting to muddled and dull.
    Useless Fact: People gave L&C an A- when the show debuted...they very seldom give marks that high. The only other show I recall that they did that for was Ellen Degenerate's--um, Degeneres ;) --before she announced to the world that her door swings the other way.

6. Russkafin

Russkafin Bringer of Darkness

The first season of L&C was freaking awesome. They still run the old episodes on TNT, and if you happen to catch some of the early ones from the series you are always in for a treat. The second season was pretty solid, as well, but part way through the third season things went downhill fast (you can actually mark it by Teri Hatcher's hair... when she got that really short boyish cut, the show started to slip).

As for the two Jimmy's... Michael Landes played Jimmy in the first season, and Justin Whalen played him in seasons two, three, and four. I liked Landes a lot better.

For more L&C stuff, check out my L&C tribute page at http://www.angelfire.com/ny2/russkafin/superman.html, and the Krypton Club site at http://www.kryptonsite.com/loisclark ! Boo yah!

7. nerdgirl

nerdgirl Tree-hugging hippee

It was a cool show

Hi c320! Hi everyone!

I too like Lois and Clark a lot. In fact, I make sure that I catch it every morning at 8 on TNT. I have the first two seasons on tape, and when the third season starts rerunning later this month, I'll start taping again.

My favorite season is the second one, up to the point where Dan Scardino (the DEA who had the hots for Lois) came in. I'm glad he was out of there by the season's end. However, the worst season was the third one, simply because of the clone/amnesia saga (yuck, yuck, YUCK)! I think that nearly ruined the show! I'd rather forget that mess!

I too loved the focus on the human side of Superman. I thought Dean Cain played a wonderful Clark Kent. I loved the sensitivity and great sense of humor he brought to the role. I also thought Teri Hatcher was terrific as Lois Lane, especially as the smart, independent woman who could fend for herself and wouldn't let anything get in her way, but I agree with Russkafin that after the start of the third season, she did go a little too soft (and I too liked the longer hair). The rest of the cast were great, too. I thought Lane Smith was the best Perry White that I have ever seen (I loved that Elvis fanatic and father figure approach to the character). I also loved Tracy Scroggins as the sexy and hilarious Cat Grant. Chris Demeitris (SP?) as Jack was good, too. It was a shame that they were gone after the first season.

As for the Jimmys, I thought Whalin was a much better Jimmy than Landes. I thought he was funnier, dumber (which is a good thing for the kid), and more energenic and kidlike. He also looked more the part, and he wasn't written as a former juvenile delinquent who wants to get in (all the way) with a family member (i.e. Cat Grant). I was raised on the comics, movies, and the 1950s Adventures of Superman, and the second Jimmy was closer to what I expected of the character.

For those who are looking for a board dedicated to Lois and Clark, I have your answer below. A woman named Zoomway runs a great L+C board. It has almost 500 members, and I post there often. All you have to do is register, and you too can join in the fun!

The Lois and Clark Message Boards
    http://www.lastson.com/boards/ultimatebb.cgi

Her boards are so popular that the ones I gave above are her second boards (just like this site). She had to create them since the first ones are almost filled up. Although you can't register for these, I'll give you the address so you can check out all of the old topics.

The Old Lois and Clark Message Boards
    http://www.zoomway.com/boards/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro&BypassCookie=true

I hope you enjoy!

Have a festive day!

nerdgirl :)

8. c320

c320 Guest

i liked

i liked the second jimmy more mainly becuase the other guy looked like a jerk and hello nerdgirl

9. Joker85

Joker85 Clown Prince

I liked it during their first two seasons, season 3 was just OK and season4 was pretty much horrible!

10. James

James Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

Season 3 + 4

totally agree with Joker85. First two season's were quite good, but series 3 + 4 pretty much stunk. I think by the end of series 4 it deserved to be kicked.

Moral of the Story:

If you put two character's which have sexual chemistry together as a couple you can watch your ratings plummet like a lead balloon.

The only programme I can think of which hasn't suffered ratings decline after putting their main character's in the same bed is Farscape.....

11. Christo

Christo Member

First season was for the most part, amazing. Dean Cain was an amazing Clark (and a decent Superman) and Teri Hatcher was the best Lois ever. John Shea was great as Lex Luthor and Lane Smith was the best Perry ever. The inclusion of The Kents was genius.

But second season got rid of both Cat Grant and Lex Luthor, and they lost so much good romantic tension. Some of the episodes were pretty good . . . but then it Jumped The Shark with Season Three.

I try to forget about Season Four.

12. Nightwing

Nightwing WF Old Man

I agree, but I must admitt I very much enjoyed the first H. G. Wells episode. It was wonderfully done, and it's one of my favorites, even though it's the beginning of a very far fetched line of H. G. Wells episodes. The second one was cool too, but the next two or so crossed the line of weirdness.

John Shea was an amazing Lex Luthor. I think he was the best ever. You just LOVED to hate this guy, and he made sure of it.