Location of Springfield revealed?

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Peter Paltridge, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

That's what Yahoo thinks:
    http://tv.yahoo.com/news/-simpsons--springfield-location-revealed.html

But they're yahoos. I don't see how they missed that he said the name came from "Father Knows Best" and thusly was never a real place even though he admits the Oregon connection. There are also these factors:

1) I live in Oregon and while we have a Springfield, we don't have a Shelbyville
    2) Homer has to take a plane to get to Oregon in a past episode
    3) That gag in the Simpsons Movie confirms that Springfield is in an area that can't really exist

However, we are the only state to have a mountain, a beach and a gorge all within driving distance. So if you think of it that way, we come closest.

2. dothesmartthing

dothesmartthing Happy's happy. Are you happy?

Does anyone remember the episode "Hurricane Neddy," where a hurricane rips through Springfield and Ned goes ballistic? I don't ever recall Oregon getting hit by a hurricane.

3. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!

Springfield exist the heart of every man, woman or child that enjoys a good laugh.
    Who ever appreciates brilliant satirical humor carries Springfield with them.
    Where ever someone is willing to laugh at a drunk strangling his kid, you'll find Springfield.

Oh, never mind carrying Springfield in your hearts folks.
    It's in Oregon.
    That's right, no longer in the land of magical enchantment. It's in northern, northern California.

It's strange he would ever pin it down. Not while the show is still in production. And it will never go out of production.
    Not that there aren't about a hundred continuity reasons why it couldn't be in Oregon.
    But I guess it's more of a "based on" type of thing.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2012
  4. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

The Oregonian's A&E section declared The Simpsons (with Matt's blessing) the state's first family back in 1999 so this isn't exactly news. The city is based heavily off mid-60s Portland (particularly the Nob Hill/Goose Hollow area) with some other refferences for PacNW'ers (the Nuclear Power Plant for instance is clearly a nod to the now demolished Trojan reactor in nearby Rainier). Also if you were to read a map of the city, you'll see a lot of familiar names.

Officially though... they're in "North Tacoma".

5. Lord Dalek

I think the national weatherboard retroactively considers the Great Storm of 1962 a hurricane. I know they do for the one that hit five years ago... which I just missed, hooray.

6. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

Yes, but the records only go back to 1978, when the Hall of Records was mysteriously blown away.

7. Sparticus

Sparticus Should be drawing right now...

I used to live in the Goose Hollow neighborhood! Walked by Lincoln High (where Matt Groening went to high school) on my way to Fred Meyer all the time. I knew about all the street names being character names (Terwilliger of course; Flanders was on my way to my college - which was just a block from Lovejoy, which is where my favorite cafe is; further explorations in the Nob Hill/Alphabet District revealed Quimby), but I didn't know there was an actual Evergreen Terrace. XD Had to Google that. But I guessed right that it was in the neighborhood around the Japanese Garden. Proximity to the high school kinda gave it away. X)

Also, yes Oregon does occasionally get hurricanes. They're not particularly powerful though. I actually slept through one freshman year. X) I'd say the snow is a bit more unusual. We get snow here, but it's... well this kind of sums up the usual Portlandia reaction: http://youtu.be/wPuupEtPSrg

Obviously Springfield isn't a carbon copy of Springfield Oregon or Portland. XD

8. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes PBS: We rock harder than MTV

No Shelbyville in real-life Oregon, but guessing Vancouver, WA (right across the border from Portland) might fit the "town next door"/"rival town" Shelbyville conveys.

Not surprised of Springfield mainly based off of where Groening grew up... besides the heavy number of west coast/Pacific NW elements in the Simpsons' Springfield (despite other regions' aspects present, of course, per the running gag), one aspect of cartooning seems to be a tendency to base cartoons' settings off of where one grew up or lives. "Peanuts" seemed to reflect either Minnesota or California (the two primary places of influence on Schulz's life), while "Garfield" sometimes reflects aspects of Indiana (where Jim Davis lives) and Superman's Metropolis was loosely based on (besides New York) Cleveland and Toronto (the cities Siegel and Shuster lived). So wouldn't surprise me to see a heavy influence of Oregon on Groening's favorite fictional town.

But yep, to me, the Simpsons' Springfield is in the fictional state of North Tacoma. Now where *that*'s located... (I'd vote where Calisota's located in Don Rosa's Duck stories). ;-)

9. Pustulio

Pustulio New Member

Groening said this:

OK, why do the Simpsons live in a town called Springfield? Isn't that a little generic?
    Springfield was named after Springfield, Oregon. The only reason is that when I was a kid, the TV show "Father Knows Best" took place in the town of Springfield, and I was thrilled because I imagined that it was the town next to Portland, my hometown. When I grew up, I realized it was just a fictitious name. I also figured out that Springfield was one of the most common names for a city in the U.S. In anticipation of the success of the show, I thought, "This will be cool; everyone will think it's their Springfield." And they do.You've never said it was named after Springfield, Oregon, before, have you?
    I don't want to ruin it for people, you know? Whenever people say it's Springfield, Ohio, or Springfield, Massachusetts, or Springfield, wherever, I always go, "Yup, that's right."

How do these journalist morons read that as "The Simpsons' Springfield is definitely in Oregon!"?

10. Lord Dalek

Frankly I always felt Shelbyville was Groening's dig at Gresham and Milwaukee, OR, considering both are kind of the armpits of greater Portland.

11. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!