1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Local Station Opt-Outs.

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by Steve Burstein, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Steve Burstein

Anybody else out there ever get REALLY mad when your local station opted out of airing a networked Saturday morning cartoon, and you either missed it or you tried to watch it on a snowy out-of-town channel?

2. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

That hasn't happened in my area since the 70's-early 80's. At the time, network affiliates saw there was more ad money to be made running syndicated shorts, like for example Popeye, rather than network shows they felt weren't going to be successful. And while they were right a lot of the time, there were likely a lot of complaints from parents, leading to the termination of this practice, especially after the affiliate switches at the end of the 70's.

3. Steve Burstein

I'm old, so I'm thinking of the 60s(and very early 70s). Another thing that steamed me was when the station(WNAC in Boston)delayed some cartoons from Saturday to Sunday(Warner Bros. cartoons, or example), and ran them IN BLACK AND WHITE! Later on somebody said that might have been a condition that ABC laid down.

4. Steve Burstein

What made me mad was they'd show local news instead of the cartoons(I guess we all have to grow up sometime).

5. Dennnis Toppenberg

Dennnis Toppenberg New Member

Here in Puerto Rico, Cable TV of Greater San Juan (now Liberty PR) has carried both Chicago's WGN Superstation and New York's WPIX-TV, both of which ran Kids' WB!, with the only difference that the former ran the block on Sundays instead of Saturdays.

6. Steve Burstein

I remember two Saturday Morning series that never ran in Boston, THE BEAGLES and ARCHIE'S FUN HOUSE. Years later, CBS-owned WBZ opted out of late 90s cartoons like "That loveable Turtle "Franklin".

7. superdude

superdude king of cool

KDKA (CBS Pittsburgh) never aired Beethoven, skeleton warriors or Jim lee's wildcats. They aired tale spin at 8:30 & iron
    man/fantastic four @ 11.

Sent from my A466BG using Tapatalk

8. stephane dumas

stephane dumas Well-Known Member

WPTZ (NBC Platsburgh NY who airs in Northern New York State and also carried on cable in Quebec province) did a different opt-out in the early 1990s when NBC decided dropped their cartoons to go with Saturday edition of Today. Instead of showing Today, they showed some cartoons reruns like the Jetsons and Rescue Rangers.