1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Lobo" Live-Action Film Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Wonder Woman, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

From Variety:
    http://weblogs.variety.com/bfdealmemo/2009/09/ritchie-locked-for-lobo.html

Thoughts?

2. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

So which scouse rugby player turned rubbish actor is going to play Lobo? :p

3. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

Cool, looking forward to this.

4. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

I don't think live action is the way to go. Reality can't capture the intensity of Lobo. It would be better animated or CGI.

Also, Lobo is not blue, he's chalk white. And teaming with a small-town teenage girl to stop four alien fugitives is the exact plot from a Keith Giffen Drax the Destroyer miniseries from a while back. That mini even featured Lunatik, Marvel's Lobo and like Lobo created by Keith Giffen, as one of the fugitives. Then again, if Giffen is involved with this project it's possible they are recycling his plot with his permission, but that's kind of weird because the Drax book was a Marvel comic.

Finally, there is nothing about Lobo, the real Keith Giffen Lobo, that is PG-13. They really might as well use another character if they aren't going to use the ultra-violent over the top parody aspects of the character.

At any rate, It's not one I'm too concerned with because it will probably never happen. Deals like this are announced all the time and few of them actually become real movies.

5. LinkG07

LinkG07 Active Member

Sure they can. All they have to do is follow Punisher: Warzone.

6. Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo Chill. It's only an opinion.

That... will be very strange. After watching Rocknrolla, I have no idea how to picture him directing someone like Lobo. In regard to the casting, I hope they go the Hellboy route of using a suit rather than casting some cheesy wrestler to get the muscle bulk. If they do go the Hellboy route, then I'd have to vote for Adam Baldwin to play him.

7. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

8. Ioz

Ioz Master of Mer

I have a feeling this will be about as entertaining as the Ghostrider movie.

9. Manhunter

Manhunter Super-Tech Cat Ninja Guy

10. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Rather odd choice of character to base a movie on. Guy Ritchie directing? Pass, I hate his movies.

11. AerostarMonk

AerostarMonk Member

A movie about Lobo wouldn't even hit right. The aspects of anti-heroism that he's parodying never came to pass in comic book movies.

12. Shawn Hopkins

No, that's embarrassing to watch.

You make the best point so far. Lobo is a parody of something that doesn't even translate to another medium. For most moviegoers he would be completely divorced from context. Of course, this didn't stop Lobo from becoming popular with lots of comics fans who didn't seem to understand he was a parody.

13. Invidente 7

Invidente 7 Active Member

Wrong, Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, WRONG!

What the hell do you mean by that? You're WRONG :mad: That adaptation was INCREDIBLE, I mean the director manage to get the perfect cast for Lobo, and even manage to do a good adaptation with such a limited budget,

and as for the Lobo movie I'm sure that Ritchie will do a good "guy action film" the kind they don't make much nowadays :sad:

and once again, you're WRONG in regards to the Lobo short film

14. Shawn Hopkins

Sorry, I thought it looked like crap. :)

The Lobo casting, makeup and voice was the worst part. He acts like a wrestler.

It's nice that somebody made a low-budget fan film out of a funny comic, but let's not act like it's more than that.

15. DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy Searchin' My Soul

I don't think live action is the way to go. Reality can't capture the intensity of Lobo. It would be better animated or CGI.
    Expect plenty of CGI in this.

If they're not careful with the script though, this could end up feeling like some lame 80s movie along the lines of Masters of the Universe.

16. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

How come we got a Lobo movie before a Wonder Woman movie? :shrug: Don't get me wrong, I like Lobo, but I think WB is moving too fast. One of the big three is sans movie!

17. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

So it'll be some poor schmuck's guilty pleasure?

*Raises hand at MotU*

18. SSJ Jake

SSJ Jake Pony Sue is Pony

I personally believe that just about any comic book adaption could be good if done right, and I've been waiting for a live-action Lobo adaption (not counting that lame fanfilm loosely based off of the Lobo Paramilitary Christmas Special), but why a PG-13 rating? I realize that Warner Bros. has vowed to do no more R rated superhero movies after Watchmen practically bombed, but Lobo isn't a superhero. At all. He's destroyed his own planet and killed many innocent lives for pete's sake. If the PG-13 rating is also for marketability issues, well good luck there seeing as even the much tamer, aside from his short lived webseries if it counts, DCAU version of Lobo was prevented from being created in the Justice League Unlimited toyline.

19. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Why is Warner Brothers making Lobo blue for the movie? Did test audiences find blue more appealing a color than white?

Did anyone else get a flashback to the Beeteljuice cartoon series after reading this part?

20. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member