1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Live from E3... the WB games!

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by The Mad Hatter, May 18, 2001.

1. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Whyyyyy'sis heead so biiiiiig?

Oh my lord, this is sheer madness, absolutely crackers, I tell you. I may not escape with my sanity, so I thought I'd use the happy lil' press booth to let you know what's going on that's WB-related.

Now, I don't have a lot of time, so I've got to be brief. In fact, DG and others, if you could post this to the other boards I'd be most happy.

Here goes!

First, the bad. There is indeed a Dexter's Lab Game Boy Advance game, but it was only running on video and it looked mediocre. There's a Powerpuff Girls GBA game... but it looks as bad as the GB PPG games.

I got to play a PPG fighting game for the N64 (?) and PlayStation. Oh my lord, this was bad. Almost Superman-level bad. Avoid this one at all costs.

Now for the good. The Nintendo Gamecube stuff was mind-blowing, I'll be happy to blather on about it if you'd like. But apparently, there will be a Batman (not B:TAS, the comic book kind) for the cube by Kemco... there were only pre-rendered sequences at this point.

Infogrames had a ton of great WB stuff. First up is Sheep Raider, starring Sam and Ralph... you know, the sheepdog and Wile E. lookalike who punch in at work and get to the sheep stealing-protecting business. It looked a little rough, but fun.

Speaking of Looney Tunes, there was the announcement of something called "Loons: The Fight for Fame." There wasn't any game footage, though. And, come to think of it, it might be a game version of the upcoming Looney Tune movie (you know, where they get upstaged by annoying, Poochie-like CGI things), so this game might have given us the title of the flick.

Also announced, but with no game shots (again) is a Superman:TAS game. Yes, this is a different company from the first one, and when I talked to the people there, they said part of the motivation for making this was that "the game they did was crap." Woo hoo, a decent Superman game! (this and the Loons game are for PS2)

Over at Ubi Soft, I got to see Batman: Vengeance game for PS2. Err... ya want the good news or bad news first?
    Bad news: It looks like a medium-level N64 game, and the gameplay was pretty rough. Mind you, this is somewhat early in development, but if it comes out this year it'll feel a bit unpolished.
    Good news: Plays better than the original S:TAS game already. You get to fly the Batplane. And, best of all, new CGI story sequences with the original voice cast! I got to see Mr. Freeze do his surly frost thing, Poison Ivy whip around plants, and Harley (with a big ole mallet), the Joker, and the Stooge Gang! There was a bit with Harley speaking, so I can assure you that we'll get a new storyline... and remember, the cartoon people are involved with the plot. So even if the game is a wash, this will be well worth checking out.

One bit of interest: I saw a presentation by Squaresoft, the makers of Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy X looks mind-blowing, and the movie looks great. But then everyone's jaws clanged to the floor with the surprise announcement of Kingdom Hearts. The game stars a prototypical angst-ridden RPG guy ("Why am I here? Why am I doing this?" etc.) fighting the ultimate evil... alongside assorted Disney cartoons. What the?! Donald and Goofy are in your party. The guy rides Dumbo at one point. We're promised trips to the worlds of Aladdin, Peter Pan, Tarzan, etc. mixed in with Square-style demon fighting. Very, very, very, very strange.

That's it for now, got to run. Be happy to blather about anything else you want when I get back (especially the superb Gamecube stuff!)

2. Inque

Inque Liquid Darkness

[color=6666cc] the game cube rocks! down with microsoft and it's x-box... anyways...... after the batman and superman game fiascos, i'm probably going to rent them before i decide to buy them. and if people say that they're really horrible, i'll probably look for an emulator and rom......

they disney rpg thing sounds a little interesting. it reminds me when super mario rpg was about to come out. if it could work for them, then maybe it can work for the disney characters.[/color]

3. Psycho Fox

Psycho Fox Toonix Guru

First, the bad. There is indeed a Dexter's Lab Game Boy Advance game, but it was only running on video and it looked mediocre. There's a Powerpuff Girls GBA game... but it looks as bad as the GB PPG games.

I got to play a PPG fighting game for the N64 (?) and PlayStation. Oh my lord, this was bad. Almost Superman-level bad. Avoid this one at all costs.

Thanks for the warning

Now for the good. The Nintendo Gamecube stuff was mind-blowing, I'll be happy to blather on about it if you'd like.

Figured as much. Any thing on the Crazy Taxi Sega is doing for the NGC?

Infogrames had a ton of great WB stuff. First up is Sheep Raider, starring Sam and Ralph... you know, the sheepdog and Wile E. lookalike who punch in at work and get to the sheep stealing-protecting business. It looked a little rough, but fun.

That game has been pushed back soo many times. I remeber when it was called Sheep Dog Wolf and I complined that Wile E is not a wolf

Also announced, but with no game shots (again) is a Superman:TAS game. Yes, this is a different company from the first one, and when I talked to the people there, they said part of the motivation for making this was that "the game they did was crap." Woo hoo, a decent Superman game! (this and the Loons game are for PS2)

Here is hoping that it comes out right.

Over at Ubi Soft

Speaking of Ubi Soft you see Rayman M? It is comming out for the Dreamcast (among other platforms)

There was a bit with Harley speaking, so I can assure you that we'll get a new storyline... and remember, the cartoon people are involved with the plot. So even if the game is a wash, this will be well worth checking out.

Neat, have to keep my eye on that one.

After the batman and superman game fiascos, i'm probably going to rent them before i decide to buy them.

Hmm you have a point

and if people say that they're really horrible, i'll probably look for an emulator and rom......

A) You are not going to find a PS2 emulator any time soon and B) that is kinda illega even if the game is complete crap.

4. The Mad Hatter

>>Any thing on the Crazy Taxi Sega is doing for the NGC?

Nope. But the guy I talked to said that Sega will be "system agnostic," which means that any game they release has a chance of being taken to the Cube, or X-Box, or the PS2. It could happen.

BTW, some company (I forget which) showed a game called "Simpsons Road Rage." It looked EXACTLY like Crazy Taxi, only shoddy.

>>Speaking of Ubi Soft you see Rayman M? It is comming out for the Dreamcast (among other platforms)

Oh yeah, it's looking pretty darn good. Didn't pay attention to which systems it was coming out for, though...

5. Psycho Fox

Psycho Fox Toonix Guru

Well I did hear that Sega is doing a NGC version of Crazy Taxi and it is spose to be more then a mere port but that's is all I know.

I am happy that Ubi Soft is still supporting the DC for one more title. Alot of the others have droped the DC even when their previous releases on the DC sold good like Midway. (Is supporting the DC till the end of the year such a risk for them?)

Recently I remeber back in 1984 Sega bided for Amiga corp to get the Lorraine (Well everyone that was anyone bided on them and wanted it badly) and now I'm wondering what would happen if Sega did get it. Would Sega have been able to command a precene in the PC market if so would that keep the DC alive now? Would SOA having a R&D that had Jay Miner make SOJ work even harder to try and out do them? Would it make the Genny even more powerful thanks to Jay Miner being a f*ing super genious? Would the Saturn be differnet? Of course Lorraine is such a milestone in history that it would change history no matter who (other then Commadore) got it.

Anyway I can't wait for the NGC it looks like it is gona rock.

6. Dante Bunny

Dante Bunny PK ROCKIN!!!

Oh, well.

Well at least the shows are good.

7. The Mad Hatter

To Psycho Fox:

Pretty much everyone has dropped the Dreamcast. Sigh. In fact, the only people showing DC stuff was Sega. I didn't even see confirmation that Rayman M was coming to the DC.... where did you hear that? Maybe I just missed it...

Ah well. Oh Dreamcast, we hardly knew ye...

8. Psycho Fox

Psycho Fox Toonix Guru

Cloudchaser reported it.

9. Brian Cruz

Brian Cruz Surf's Up

Hey guys...

I decided that there was a lot of good info in this thread, so I'm linking to it on the news page. Hopefully everyone is okay with that. I might do this a bit more often in the future, since a lot of important news gets posted around here.

10. Nftnat

Nftnat professor/historian/chronicler

Hatter's report

Folks, if ya'll wanna find out what Hatter saw @ E3, what he liked, what he didn't, etc.; quickly, before Sunday turns to Monday, go to http://www.ardemgaz.com then click on Features. It's currently the 3rd article on the page, which I find odd since in the DemoZette itself the story's the lead on Features, above the fold on the front page & everything. There it's titled High Weirdness, & is illustrated with pix of Bill Gates' Xbox, Nintendo's Gamecube, chars from Jak & Daxter, & what he swears wasn't the weirdest thing there, a char from Monster Rancher. Then if you have any questions he's right here. Hatter, kudos.

11. The Mad Hatter

What? I wasn't the first article listed on Sunday? That knave Phillip Martin got top billing, didn't he? Outrage!

Actually, that doesn't really matter to me, though it is odd. I appreciate you thinking of me there, Nftnat... yet huge as that article was, I had to cut a ton out.

But they didn't put in the picture of the "booth babes" dressed in medieval clothing? It was great evidence that people had breast implants back in the middle ages...