"Little Witch Academia" Talkback

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by GWOtaku, Apr 19, 2013.

1. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Toonzone Talkback: Studio Trigger Streams Its “Little Witch Academia” Short In English

This is the talkback thread for Studio Trigger Streams Its “Little Witch Academia” Short In English.

Magical girls, brought to you by young animators & Gainax alumni! If you like the look of this, I'd suggest tracking down Tweeny Witches for another thing (the only thing?) that's close to it. The article link contains the short video + a trailer for all the 2013 Anime Mirai shorts. What do you think?

Fuel for Sakuga speculation, according to Anime News Network's database: Main key animation is credited to Mai Yoneyama, Takafmi Hori and Yusuke Yoshigaki. Other key animators credited are Hisao Dendo, Masaru Sakamoto, Shota Sannomiya, Shuhei Handa, Yuto Kaneko and creator Yoh Yoshinari himself (as if he wasn't handling enough for this thing already!).

I dig this promo art:

[​IMG]

2. GingaDaiuchuu

GingaDaiuchuu Active Member

I wasn't expecting to see any of the Anime Mirai stuff legally streaming for America, so I'm very glad to see this actually happened. Hopefully someone can pick it up for a bilingual Blu-ray release in the near future.

Alright, Trigger's got it. More than Gainax has since these guys left. Obviously they can't compare to Khara's work with these simple little projects, but given some internal money beyond what they got for Anime Mirai, they've definitely got the potential. Of course, Gainax does need to find some impressive new staff and let them do an original series; that's how their masterpieces always come to be.

But yeah, after experimenting with American animation styles associated with children's material (in obvious contrast to the actual content of the project) and Williams Street productions, it's good to see these guys back to this style. It's not that I need them to use a traditional style, but the way this particular group animates when they're not going for as different as possible is a real joy to behold. The elegance and fluidity of the animation is really unmatched by anyone else, and they always nail it. I was glad to see that Yoshinari was in almost complete control of this one since, not only was his involvement in Gurren Lagann impressive even among the likes of Imaishi and the other talents working on it, his Parallel Works video was by far the best.

The content was light but very satisfying for a single episode's length. It doesn't need any more, but if the reception inspires more, I have confidence that these guys will be able to pull more off. Whatever they do, I'm now very excited for Trigger eventually managing to produce something more substantial in the future.

3. Sarada

Sarada Reporter

Well, what do you know. I only counted two fan-service shots! They're so subtle I'm not sure they even count, though.

It's weird. I can really sense Yoshinari is calling back to a pre-moe time in Japanese animation, so it's weird seeing that now brought to life digitally. Still, the seventeen thousand drawings were put to great use. Studio Trigger is well on its way to earning itself a place in the big leagues. Now I hope they can just maintain this level. I could definitely see this being expanded into a full movie format.

4. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Created by Trigger, former employees of Gainax, makers of Inferno Cop is this beautiful short film funded by the Japanese government.

Plot Summary:
    [video=youtube;RBlqxEIJ_Cg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBlqxEIJ_Cg[/video]

The name put me off, expecting the usual extremely-suspect material when it come4s to anime and anything with younger girls, I was pushed by a friend who told me that those concerns weren't true of this and I must say I'm extremely grateful for him showing me this. The animation is just downright splendid. I'm amazed that for such little money they were able to make such a well-animated piece without falling into the typical lazy or sexual traps that befall these things as of late. If you haven't had a chance to see this yet, I'd say give it a chance, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

After seeing this, I can't wait to see what Trigger can come up with next. I wouldn't mind a series based in this world, but at the same time I want to see them continue to explore and progress on their own.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2013
  5. Sarada

Sarada Reporter

Seventeen thousand drawings were used to make this short. Supposedly the short was made on a budget of thirty-eight million yen, too. So, at $387,980.00 for twenty-five-ish minutes you could probably get a full motion picture at a million-ish dollars. Kickstarter-bait if I ever saw one. :p

Although I wonder if Trigger will release this on Blu-ray or not. It'd be interesting to see the Oricon charts for it.

6. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Yeah Matt, there's so much low-grade material of the variety you're talking about that it's easy to get numb to it and wary after awhile. So, it's definitely refreshing to have a really well made anime with magical girls that just plays the whole concept straight and has fun with it. It definitely looks like anime, but it's kinda cartoony and possessing a healthy sense of humor to boot. The short gets down to business so there isn't that much world building, but the characters are fun and it definitely lays down a foundation like any good pilot would. I'd take more of this in any format. Generally speaking, I'd definitely rather see more creativity in the spirit of this short than see the very unique but joyless Madoka Magica set a new trend.

I've been struck by what can be accomplished with 2D animation on a low budget, in relative terms. I'm still more than a little impressed that Secret of Kells got made on a budget of approx. 8 million bucks.

7. Neo Yi

Neo Yi :D

Gave it a watch after seeing tons of GIFs of this short over at tumblr because of the appealing art. It's so gorgeous animated and lovingly vibrant. I love the cartoony appeal of it and I'd say it's the best thing about this short. Like GWOtaku said, it's light on world building, but it's the characters that is where it is. I especially love that Diana isn't the usual snooty girl and is capable of depth beyond it or that Akko may be hotheaded to a fault, but fiercely determined. I could definitely stand to see more.

8. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

Saw this brought up before, and I gotta say it's a pretty awesome cartoon. It's so nice to see more fluid and fun animation. I wouldn't mind seeing a whole movie animated like this.

9. ChildHood90s

ChildHood90s Loves his coffee

This short was so fun. The animation was just so good. The animators at Trigger are great!

10. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume.

Took a quick glance at it and, yeah, this has some pretty nice animation. I'll see if I can watch it all the way through later.

11. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

I'm glad to see other people enjoyed it and coming off of Madoka, this was a nice change of pace. I loved Madoka, but wow did it veer in a different direction as its counterpunch to what magical girl stuff had become vs what Little Witch did which was to just return to just being fun and endearing without including content of the questionable and completely unnecessary variety.

I do hope someone picks this up for distribution in the US who isn't Aniplex. It'd be nice to hear a proper dub and not be gouged for the privilege.

12. Funkatron

Funkatron New Member

Would love to see this either as a series or a full length feature. Awesome work. Was this hand drawn like the good old days?

13. Sarada

Sarada Reporter

The vast majority of modern Japanese animation is still hand drawn. It's everything past the key and in-between animation that tends to be digital (tracing, coloring, finishing). It's only stuff like Naruto Shippuuden's current opening that is actually done digitally in flash.

14. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

15. Dub C

Dub C Just a animation lovin' dude

I watched it about a week ago and I really enjoyed it. I liked it's 'cartoony' stylings and it was a visual treat. I enjoyed that it didn't try to be anything more than what it was as far as the story was concerned, which made it a really fun watch. I'd love them to start a series if they could get it going.

16. Sarada

Sarada Reporter

17. Sarada

Sarada Reporter

18. GingaDaiuchuu

GingaDaiuchuu Active Member

I love how much Trigger is making sure to connect with the English-speaking audience. I'd definitely be a up for a TV series if they had the content to sustain it, although again I can't see myself funding it.

19. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

They'd need some domestic backing for a TV anime, I would think. But hey, if video sales are decent or better, who knows?

LWA was supposed to go off Youtube by now but they're keeping it up longer going into the imminent Kickstarter for the sequel. It'll be on Crunchyroll long term from what I gather.

20. Sarada

Sarada Reporter

The production committee will need to bring in new partners back home, but depending on what Trigger wants to do raising a bare minimum of four million United States dollars shouldn't be impossible if they were okay with doing a twenty-six episode series with an average budget. Gurren Lagann at most $5,400,000, which might not be impossible, assuming the Kickstarter for a second OVA isn't a dud.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2013