1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

List of Merrie Melodies Audio Not on DVD Yet

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by ClassicTVMan1981, Oct 16, 2016.

1. ClassicTVMan1981

Having been inspired by this user's compilation of all the different versions of the Merrie Melodies title theme over the years (1936-64), and also in recognition that we hope Warner Archive Collection will handle the remaining classic Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies shorts as yet unreleased on DVD, the time has come to ask you all this: which title theme audio variants by year are still unavailable on DVD?

My hot sheet - opening versions:
    October 10, 1936 - as heard on Boulevardier from the Bronx and Don't Look Now
    May 22, 1937 - as heard on Clean Pastures, Uncle Tom's Bungalow, Streamlined Greta Green and Sweet Sioux
    July 17, 1937 - as heard on Egghead Rides Again and Plenty of Money and You
    September 25, 1937 - as heard on I Wanna Be a Sailor and The Lyin' Mouse
    January 29, 1938 - as heard between My Little Buckaroo and Cinderella Meets Fella
    September 28, 1940 - as heard between Stage Fright and Bedtime for Sniffles
    December 7, 1940 - as heard between Of Fox and Hounds and Sniffles Bells the Cat
    March 1, 1941 - as heard on The Cat's Tale

Closing versions:
    July 31, 1937 - as heard between Plenty of Money and You and Dog Daze (Speaking of the Weather, while released on DVD, actually erroneously uses the 1941-55 closing audio)
    March 1, 1941 - The Cat's Tale

~ben

2. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

Dog Daze uses a unique ending cue so Plenty of Money and You and dog Daze are slightly different.

Merrie Melodies opening cue differences

1936 Boulevardier from the Bronx

1936 The Coo-coo nut grove

1937 She was an acrobat's daughter-Streamlined greta green

1937 Egghead rides Again-Dog Daze

1937-38 The woods are full of cuckoos-Daffy duck and egghead

1938 Jungle jitters-Cinderella meets fella

late-1938 A-lad-in-bagdad-Count me out

1939-40 Hamateur night-Malibu beach party

1940 Holiday highlights-tortoise beats hare

1941-45 Toy trouble-Life with feathers

These are unlikely to be ON DVD anytime soon due to WB having lack of sales of the platinum collections.

3. ClassicTVMan1981

If it is Warner Archive Collection that's been putting out all these mostly mediocre Hanna-Barbera cartoons (and I am quite happy they finally remastered and released The Kwicky Koala Show, which was Tex Avery's final series to date as a creator), then in the future they should consider releasing the rest of the Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies and classic MGM stuff as well.

~Ben

4. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

Yeah, if they can stick those 60s without a problem, they definitely can stick more LT/MM. Especially the late 1930s stuff because some of their original closing titles are lost due to the Volume 5 release of the LaserDisc and i would be happy to actually see an original print, even if its the Blue Ribbon titles. Example: Streamlined Greta Green