1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

List of Dragonball Z primary characters

Discussion in 'Animation Wiki Discussion' started by KYO'NYUU IMOUTO, Nov 8, 2008.

1. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Wow, now that I didn't know...excuse me while I try my best to avoid making up what would surely be a terrible Code Geass joke.

2. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Yeah, it wasn't exactly the most pleasent thing to learn.

He's the kicker, he was voiced by Barbara Goodson.

3. HellCat

HellCat Lesser spotted Brit
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

I think the rename issue might hold more impact with other shows (and worth exploring when we get there).

With something like Buu, I think the official English name is fine. I'm aware of the pun it plays into but even that's not lost- it's just spelt in a way that makes the name by itself look less silly.

I'm reminded of a similar anecdote from Mark Simmons about when he was working on the localisation of Gundam SEED Destiny. A central character had been named Gilbert Dullindal. Given the character's role, Mark felt that that name would sound silly to native English speakers and sucessfully requested the official name in the US at least be Gilbert Durandul (the new surname being a legitimate translation, plus tied to a legendary sword and its actions which he believed the original producers were trying to reference).

4. Mr. Anime

Mr. Anime Active Member

As the original creator of this page, I feel I should add my opinions to this subject. You see since I knew the Dragonball series had a tremendous amount of characters in it, I thought it best to put the characters who had the most importance to the plot in the Main Character Guide (That's why Frieza, Cell and Buu are in it) and everyone else in the Minor Character Guide.

Also I originally intended to work alone on this when I get the time (I'm very busy these days and I still have to finish the Sailor Moon articles first), still I'm glad people wish to contribute to what I started and fully welcome it. However, I feel that all of you are making it far more complicated than it needs to be with arguing over preferred character spellings and organization issues.

5. HellCat

Well, the fact is that's all part of a Wiki project. There's no point in just dumping info or writing what we feel at the time. Otherwise, you might as well just write it down in a notebook or such. The key thing with a Wiki is to always consider if it'll make sense to other people. You're not sharing the information for your own benefit after all, but so that other people looking for it can find it and get the best information possible.

I can understand why you'd include Frieza and Cell, but overall they aren't main characters. They play significant roles (indeed, we learn Frieza has been important even before we join the story) but overall they're one arc characters. They're there to be the big end boss for their respective storylines and never appear again (give or take animated continuity). Compare that to other characters like Krillin, Tien, Picollo, etc. Those are characters who after being introduced are in it for the long run and become part of the central cast.

To give a similar example- I'd class Apollo Creed as one of the main characters of the Rocky films. He's prominent in 4 of the 6 films, going from the primary antagonist to an ally/mentor/friend. In contrast, a character like Clubber Lang is a one hit wonder, a villain who creates the drama which forces Apollo to ally with his former enemy (much like redeemed DB villains) before never appearing again.

6. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Well, Freeza was in both the Trunks/Cyborg arc and the Super #17 arc of GT, not to mention the Barduck special and movie 12.

Just a small update, I do plan on writing up a useable addition to this article soon if not by the weekend.

7. HellCat

I still wouldn't class him as a main character though. Specifically, he's only really at the start of the Cell Saga to prove that Trunks is a Super Saiyan. Toriyama used him much like how he used Raditz- a villain of respectable power who was briefly used to foreshadow a greater threat. Be careful not to be confused by the difference between 'main' and 'noteable'.

I'd really say he belongs in a 'List of Dragon Ball Z antagonists' or a list covering his entire empire. There's more than enough to justify the latter.

8. Kaiser0120

Kaiser0120 Active Member

Antagonists don't often qualify as Main Characters, thus eliminating Freeza as such. This also includes Cell and every other major villain in the show, besides Vegeta who became a Protagonist. Some may say that Fat Buu may qualify as a Main Character considering he became good in the end, but he never really played a huge role, so, in my opinion, he wouldn't qualify either.

9. HellCat

That's an excellent point on Buu and one I'd completely forgot. As such, whilst I still wouldn't count Buu as a main character, you could argue Mr Buu counts for a similar GT article.

10. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Oh, I agree on that. I just figured I'd bring it up.

Actually, I think he was used to show how powerful Gokû had gotten as opposed to Trunks who with ease killed both Freeza and his father. Alas, that is off-topic.

11. The Huntsman

The Huntsman Friend of Toon Zone

I haven’t seen that series in years but I’ll throw in my two cents. Most of what you’ve contributed is an in depth account of the character’s actions throughout the course of the series. Technically, such is a violation of the Toon Zone Animation Wiki’s spoiler policy, though I say “technically” because we haven’t really come to any conclusions as to what is a spoiler and what isn’t. Is it possible to spoil an animated program that has been over for years? Personally, I think some spoilers are inevitable when explaining a character, but you didn’t really explain the character. I’m not really sure what your contribution would be classified as.

If it were up to me, I would create an entire page for the character and have a section on the page where that information can be added. I’m sure that a disclaimer could be inserted at the start of the section to let people know that the section contains spoilers, and then non-spoiler information could be added elsewhere on the page. You could bring up the character’s personality or his relationship with the other characters. As for the “Dragonball Z Main Character Guide” page, you could write up a brief description of the character and link to the more detailed page.

Perhaps GWOtaku or HellCat will have an alternate proposal. We need to hear as many proposals as possible if we wish to make a sound decision.

12. HellCat

I'm a little confused on names. I thought we were using the FUNimation ones, but I see things like 'Kame Senin' as opposed to 'Master Roshi'.

The naming issue is really something we need to hamme out a definitive standard on because believe me it can lead to fights. The usual standard I've seen is that localized names are used although with some of the poorer dubs the fans will often do anything to fight this (like me; no matter how many times you tell me, I'm not calling it Dark Gundam).

13. J'onn J'onzz

J'onn J'onzz Best Male Member '08

I think so. There are always people that haven't seen the show, and may be going to the TZ Wiki to read about it. Having a decent amount of the show spoiled due to a website including too much unnecessary and spoily information may deter them from watching the show.

14. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

I'd certainly be up for making a seperate article for the more detailed information and replacing the current one with a link and briefer description.

So are you saying spoilers aren't allowed even in an encyclopedia or should they be save for a character's seperate article?

May I suggest we rename the article simply 'Dragonball franchise Main Character Guide' or something akin considering how much these characters all sort of fit in all three series?

15. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

That Piccolo info could and should be in its own article, yes. This article is basically an overview, and on articles like this we should assume that the reader is a newbie. Put that on a char page, and there'll be a table of contents and people will have the freedom to read as far info the events of the show as they choose to.

16. HellCat

For Picollo, I'd have a short intro blurb like:

"Picollo is an alien from the planet Namek, possesing green skin and pointy ears. He was created when the negative aspects of Earth's guardian Kame were purged into a seperate body who attempted to conquer the world. He was killed by the younger Son Goku, but split his essence into a clone egg which grew up to renew his ambition. However, as Earth was increasingly faced with even stronger alien threats, Picollo became an ally to once his once hated rival and a trusted mentor to Goku's first offspring, Son Gohan Jr"

Then above that, link to the seperate article

17. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Well, I've cleaned up this thread and moved some posts so that only discussion directly related to the topic is left. It's been awhile since we had our discussions about this, so I would like to know what people think about this article and how to handle it at the current time.