1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Linkara's "Atop The Fourth Wall" Reviews Talkback (Spoilers?)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by HellCat, Jun 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HellCat

HellCat Lesser spotted Brit
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

When a comic just really sucks, there's only one man for the job (and trust us, HE IS A MAN!). So sit back and prepare to be educated and appalled.
    http://atopfourthwall.blogspot.com/

2. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Let the bonfire of bad comics be ignited!

3. Comics_the_QB

Comics_the_QB My common sense is tingling

I've been following his videos (and others at TGWTG) for a while now, and Linkara's videos are one of my favorites.

I'm looking forward to seeing what he has next. :anime:

4. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

Um shouldn't this be the link you posted HellCat?:sweat:

5. HellCat

I was trying to bring Doug teh moneyz.

Link fixed.

6. Linkara

Linkara Member

Mah monehz! :eek:

7. Racattack!Force

Racattack!Force 私は、ああ、くそっバットマンなんだよ !

No it not. Still links to TGWTG.com...does it really matter anyway? Linkara still gets his moneys, right?

8. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

God. An Angry Nintendo Nerd for comics. I hate the very existence of this.

Edit: I watched some to see if my earlier impression would change. Nope, still awful. I thought comics as a print medium would be out of the reach of this "do a lame video insulting the worst of the crop" fad, but I guess I was wrong.

Is there one for books out there, yet? I'd really like to see a nine minute video where some guy talks about how reading Dean Koontz was like eating a litterbox full of diarrhea or something. Or somebody complaining at length about the torment of reading Ayn Rand.

Hi, Linkara.:)

9. Linkara

Linkara Member

Except I don't curse nearly as much nor do I introduce fecal matter into my videos... also he hasn't called himself the Nintendo Nerd for a few years now.

10. HellCat

Ok, link is now definetly fixed. Everyone has monies!

...except for me... *cough*....COMICS!!

11. Shawn Hopkins

You should curse more. Keep the poop out of it, though.

Edit:

Okay, I feel bad. I can't help that I hate the video and the underlying fad, but saying it to your virtual face the way I did was asinine. I'm sorry Linkara.

#11 Shawn Hopkins, Jun 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2009
  12. Mini Garbonzo

Mini Garbonzo Do you like my eyes?!?!

I don't think that Linkara needs to curse anymore than he already does, IMO he's perfectly fine without a large amount of swearing.

13. Shawn Hopkins

Swearing is funny, though. James would be nowhere without swearing and you know it.

14. Kazuya Prower

Kazuya Prower Keeping it Tails since 2005

Linkara can still be funny even without swearing. He's really popular from reviewing things his own way.

15. Tomato Surprise

Tomato Surprise Uni-Baby Will Save Us All!

YAY!!!!

He's finally sold out. Bit the big one. Made the ultimate sacrifice. He's finally reviewing something so AWFUL that he will cower in fear. It's immune to the awesome power of the manpunch, and makes Youngblood look like Watchmen.

6/29 – Countdown Prologue
    7/6 – Countdown Part 1
    7/13 – Countdown Part 2
    7/20 – Top 15 Worst Moments of Countdown

You must REALLY like us. Linkara! Don't just burn this comic, crucify it! By the way, is the video you're doing with Doug on this list? If not, when will it be out?

Tomato

EDIT SURPRISE: It's incredibly cool that my 52nd post was in the Comic Book Forum. Go Booster, Question, and Renee Montoya

16. Kazuya Prower

Kazuya Prower Keeping it Tails since 2005

Four weeks of Countdown bashing!? I'm really looking forward to seeing this.:evil:

17. Linkara

Linkara Member

Apology accepted.

Actually I have reviews scheduled months in advance. XD

18. Tomato Surprise

Tomato Surprise Uni-Baby Will Save Us All!

That was sarcasm, Linkara. Because complicated attemps to convey afflection online are kewl.

Tomato

19. Temple Fugate

Temple Fugate Active Member

I agree and then I disagree.

First, swearing in excess is definitely funny, if you're into jokes that take things way too far and revel in themselves. I admit AVGN's swearing can put me in stitches from time to time.

But James also has other things going for him, such as the very valid and sometimes thought-provoking points he makes on the games he reviews. Sometimes he comments about the game on its surface, but there are many times where he'll go ahead and make suggestions on how the game could be improved. There are also the hilarious skits within the reviews, such as the Klingon appearance during "Star Trek: 25th Anniversary (NES)". "You want Genesis? You can have Genesis."

Finally, yes I agree he wouldn't be as popular as he is right now if he didn't swear a lot. There's a gigantic base that formed around him specifically because violent gamers respond well to angry reviews. But don't discount the other merits of his reviews. I think he would still have a smaller but loyal group of fans if he didn't swear or use poop jokes as the backbone of his routine.

I hate the toilet humor very much, and the swearing sometimes gets a bit obscene even for my tastes, but beyond all that, if James was forced to review something without any swearing at all, he could still make a darn good show of it. Look at his YouTube videos when he's not in AVGN character mode and you can see what I mean.

I should bring this post back around to Linkara, so I will segue like this: Swearing works for some, and doesn't work for others. I don't think it would work for Linkara. Just keep a good wit about the comics you review and get deeper into the material than a surface-scratching "This comic's plot sucks just cuz and its artwork makes my eyes bleed." Insightful comments like "If the team's entire purpose is procreation of a better species, WHY DID THEY LET A GAY GUY INTO THE GROUP?" enhance a review more than "This is so bad it BLEEPs! It's so BLEEPing BLEEP it BLEEPs!"

Actually, it's 50/50. Either the sarcasm is so exaggerated it's obvious to everyone, or confusion will result. I didn't notice the sarcasm either.

20. PC!

PC! lolwut?

Yeah, excessive swearing can be funny, but isn't completely necessary. Doug has cut back on the swearing a lot since he started out, and he's no worse for the wear now. I think Linkara's lack of swearing in his reviews is actually one of his more endearing traits. It gives him a certain...unexplainable classiness about him that other reviewers lack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.