Let's Talk Comics! Purchases and Reviews: 03/28/12

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by Jin Kazama, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Jin Kazama

Jin Kazama Hawkguy

Welcome to "Let's Talk Comics!" for 03/28/12!

Every week, in this thread, you can:

1. Discuss what you're buying this week.

2. Discuss what you've read this last week.

3. Discuss current news and rumors in the comic book industry that you've heard!

If discussing something potentially spoilerific, then use your common sense and cover the text with the spoiler code (or provide spoiler space).

Forget what's coming out this week? TFAW has weekly updated list of all new releases!

Highlights of the Week:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Mega Man #12/Star Trek #7​

If you have any feedback/comments/suggestions... just contact your neighborhood friendly comic moderators!

2. suss2it

suss2it New Member

3. Mattashell

Mattashell Before punk,there were NUGGETS

Daredevil #10

Daredevil #10: Underground Crime
    See the talkback thread for my comments.

4. Villano

Villano New Member

Daredevil #10. Great as usual.

Captain America & Bucky #628. I started collecting this series back before the "& Bucky" was added to the title, when Cap was believed dead and Bucky took over the role. I thought it was really great. Then they brought back Cap, gave Bucky his own Winter Soldier series, and focused this one on the duo's exploits during WW2. I also thought that was great.

Unfortunately, all good things come to an end. They moved the series to the present day and Brubaker is leaving the book (he only plotted the current story arc). The series is also going to be a Cap team-up book, changing its title to reflect the guest star (next issue it's "Captain America & Hawkeye" and after that "...& Iron Man").

The current arc, which ended this issue, concerned the return of Adam, the robot that killed the 2nd Captain America (the one who replaced Cap when he was frozen). I just wasn't feeling it. It was okay, but hampered by some terrible art, or more accurately, terrible coloring. Someone decided that it was a good idea to color it in that style where you don't color every object in different shades of different colors, but slap down big sections of a single color. You know, you get a panel where all the characters are orange and they are standing in a room which is all blue. That sort of thing. I hate that.

Anyway, I was planning on dropping the title, but I'm holding off until after the next arc. There's a new writer and Stegron is going to be in it. Hey, what can I say, I like Stegron. :D

5. Chaos Yoshi Mage

Chaos Yoshi Mage The Lonely Raven

Joker sale on Comixology, should I buy anything? I probably shouldn't keep buying stuff (Bought the first 5 Venom issues from the recent run and the first Lock and Key collection) since I don't get payed for two more weeks, but I'm really curious about those Batman and Robin issues...

6. VictoryStar

VictoryStar "Here is your first present~"

If you haven't already read it "The Killing Joke" is a great single issue comic that never stops being good. It even makes you feel bad for Joker after all the evil he did in that issue alone. Emporer Joker was a bit so so (and fair warning, its actually a superman tale) but shines for making Joker a bit more sympathetic also.

Going Sane is a great story on the relationship of Batman and Joker and shows how one couldn't exist without the other (which also makes you wonder why Batman doesn't retire or leave the identity behind for a greater good, a sane Joker) though it was a bit wordy.

And at a dollar for each issue it's a great deal. If I didn't already own the ones I just mentioned I'd get them this weekend myself.

7. Chaos Yoshi Mage

The Killing Joke isn't part of the sale. I got Mad Love, The Man Who Laughs, and the first fifteen issues of Grant Morrison's Batman and Robin. Spent a little more than I should've, and I really need to stop making these impulse purchases on digital comics, books, and games, but it's really hard to pass this stuff up. Hopefully, I'll be worrying about it less in two weeks when I get paid.

Anyway, recently I also picked up the fourth and fifth, Walking Dead collections and the first issue of a new Star Wars comic, Dawn of the Jedi. The Walking Dead really gets more messed up than I thought, and Dawn was really cool for a hardcore Star Wars fan like me.

8. VictoryStar

Odd, they said it was on DC's blog.

9. Chaos Yoshi Mage

I couldn't even find it on Comixology, let alone in the Joker Sale section.

10. Villano

Villano New Member

EDIT: Sorry misread the post.

But, you're right, no Killing Joke on Comixology

11. suss2it

suss2it New Member

I got a ton of stuff from the Joker sale too. All the stuff you got, except for Batman and Robin since I already have those, and other stuff like all the "Under the Hood", "A Death in the Family", "Going Sane", Joker: Last Laugh, a "No Man's Land" issue of Detective, "Emperor Joker", the stuff Paul Dini wrote with Zatanna in Detective, "The Laughing Fish" some Gotham Central‚Äč issues, and "The Clown at Midnight". Can't wait to read all this stuff.

12. Chaos Yoshi Mage

Some of those Detective Comics issues had Zatanna stories written by Paul Dini? Dang it! I need to be more up on my comics...

13. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Wallcrawler

I visited one of my LCS this weekend and noticed they had AVX #1 for sale and quickly snatched up a copy. It is not supposed to be released until tomorrow night but it seems like this retailer didn't know. Brief spoiler-free thoughts - A basic set-up with nice art and good writing but nothing too special. It is essentially what you expect it to be. I actually went to my LCS to pick up the recent hardcover release of The Punisher by Greg Rucka and I'm really glad I did. The art was great and the writing was superb. Such a great approach to Punisher. Although I thought Punisher was just recently this Frankenstein type creature in the Marvel Universe. How did they undo that?

I also managed to pick up the first three trades for Locke & Key and Daredevil Vol. 1 by Mark Waid. A great visit to the comic shop!

14. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes PBS: We rock harder than MTV

This week's purchases:

Life With Archie #18
    : If you've been following this title up until this point, you *definitely* want this issue. :p (Yes, SPOILERS on my more full-fledged review link)

Marvel Adventures Spider-Man #24: I'll miss this title. At least they incorporated Chat into the mainstream Marvel Universe, though she's apparently got not much of a connection with Peter/Spidey...

15. VictoryStar

Went to my local comic store yesterday and they were having a backlog sale so I managed to get all 26 copies of Gotham City Sirens for a dollar each and I have to say it was a wise purchase, it was a really fun series that I wish hadn't gotten cancelled because of the reboot.

I also got 890-899 of Action Comics (already have 900 and they were sold out of it anyways) it was a really great arc and I liked the tie in it had to Sandman which is one of my favorite comic series of all time.

I plan on going there later in the week to see if I can find any other series I'm interested in.