1. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

Let's Talk Comics! Purchases and Reviews: 02/08/12

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by Jin Kazama, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Jin Kazama

Jin Kazama Hawkguy
    Staff Member Moderator

Welcome to "Let's Talk Comics!" for 02/08/12!

Every week, in this thread, you can:

1. Discuss what you're buying this week.

2. Discuss what you've read this last week.

3. Discuss current news and rumors in the comic book industry that you've heard!

If discussing something potentially spoilerific, then use your common sense and cover the text with the spoiler code (or provide spoiler space).

Forget what's coming out this week? TFAW has weekly updated list of all new releases!

Special Guest Pick of the Week:
    [​IMG]
    Scarlet Spider #2
    Selected by Spider-Man, Winner of Marcos Martin Week

If you have any feedback/comments/suggestions... just contact your neighborhood friendly comic moderators!

2. Gregatron

Gregatron Member

Black Panther had a great finale. I'm kinda bummed that the book is over, but on the other hand I'm glad because I get to save some money. I'd like to see what's next for T'Challa.

Other books I really liked this week are Secret Avengers #22, Venom #13.1, Batman and Robin #6, and Deadpool #50.

Man Venom's everywhere now. He's going to be in Carnage USA #4 (and likely #5), Secret Avengers #23, and he has his own book which has this mini event. I wonder which book(s) he's going to be in next.

3. Vyse

Vyse Active Member

Got seven books: Wolverine & the X-Men #5, WatXM: Alpha & Omega #2, Scarlet Spider #2, New Mutants #37, Batgirl #6, Green Lantern #6, and Grifter #6. WatXM, Scarelt, and maybe GL will be in their own threads, but short answer is I liked them.

Batgirl, I'm dropping. The 6th issue was good, but it wasn't enough to sell the series overall for me. TomatoSurprise did say give it a shot because Gail was not going to screw it up (paraphrasing), but in the end, it just wasn't working with me. It's good, but it was boring me. And, no matter the intent, the line Bruce said to Barbara near the beginning of #6 was the final nail. Art was serviceable and good, just not mind-blowing. I did enjoy it, but it was middle-of-the-road and probably for the best I drop it here to get ready for Marvel to steal my money.

Grifter was also good-but-not-great. We get the Black Curate, but he did nothing but let one of the Daemonites take a human hostage. I do want to see how Nathan Edmondson ends his run on the title, as he proves to be a good writer. Enough for me to might check out one of his earlier works or pick up Dancer when it launches.

Wolverine & the X-Men: Alpha & Omega continues to be sorta interesting. I like the stuff involving Quentin as he tries to hit on a girl with the fact that he created a "construct" in his mind (the same one Wolverine & Armor are in) and I do like the world of the construct (especially the art), but I want to see how Berserker Wolverine plays into this after getting him on the cover to this issue. The character only gets 2 pages of screentime. It's good, but not $3.99 good.

New Mutants is the best X-book you are not paying attention to. If you are tired of seeing the X-Men not interact with the rest of civilization, then pick issue #37 up as we get Magma dating Mephisto (yes, THAT Mephisto). Here's what it has in spoilers, in no particular order...
    Seriously, this is great and has some of my favorite facial expressions and lines in a comic.

4. Mattashell

Mattashell Before punk,there were NUGGETS

Wolverine and the X-Men: #5
    Suicide Squad: #6

I have not been reading single issue comics or any mainstream superhero titles for a few years now. I've been keeping up with Fables and reading a scattershot of TPBs/GNs, mostly Vertigo and indie stuff. I missed keeping up with them and especially discussing Wednesday's haul here on Toonzone in the Comic Book Culture board, so I asked a friend of mine (who happens to own a shop in another state) to recommend the best books right now, but not too many because funds are limited. This week I got caught up on the two titles up above.

Suicide Squad #6: The Hunt For Harley Quinn Part 1
    This book as been a roller coaster ride, and although I'm usually partial to quieter character driven books, this one has me on board and I love it. Writer, Adam Glass has made it clear that no member of this roster is permanent, anyone can get killed off at anytime and Waller will have a replacement ready to go. There's plenty more where those came from. As the title suggests, this arc focuses on Harly, and I've got to mention that one of the things I love about the book is how the artist, Clayton Henry (more so than the writer) really depicts Harley as a dangerous figure. I take one look at her and see someone I wouldn't dare speak with, because I believe she could talk me into hurting myself (if she doesn't just shiv me.) The only character I'm not crazy about is King Shark. He's managed to survive since issue #1 and there's really nothing to him, just a mindless animal. ****

Wolverine and the X-Men #5: Mutatis Mutandis Part One:
    I put a spoiler tag on part of the title, because it really gives away a twist. Now that I'm caught up on this book, I really think the series had a rocky start, with a lot of ballistic, hard to follow action, but its really getting on track now with character stuff, which I love. The current artist is a huge improvement over the artist that did the first three issues, although I have a minor complaint that he crams too much into each panel, I really like his clean style. In this issue, we get an up close look at the x-gene and learn that it's literally "x" shaped. Out of the books that were recommended to me, this is the only one that's four dollars, and I'm not crazy about that, however I'm really enjoying it and I'm not picking up very many books. ****

5. wonderfly

wonderfly Say yes!
    Staff Member Administrator

Mattashell!! Welcome back, man! :) Haven't seen you around here in forever. I think most people unfortunately don't do a weekly "Wednesday Comic Shop" sojourn anymore. But there's still plenty of comics worth reading.

Okay, so I recently read the entire "Fear Itself: Youth In Revolt" miniseries, which is very likely the best thing to come out of the whole "Fear Itself" debacle. It catches up on what's been going on with all of the teen heroes introduced over the last few years: from Gravity to the kids from the "Avengers: The Initiative" book a few years back. The fight between Gravity and Hardball in Issue #4 is one of the best fight scenes between two people of different ideologies since Marvel's "Civil War" a few years back (and it's even better than the Wolverine/Cyclops fight in "Schism!" a few months back)! Gravity, with his naive "Heroes are supposed to be symbols of good" and Hardball with his "Sometimes you have to fight dirty to win the war", it was just classic. Grade: A

6. Mattashell

Mattashell Before punk,there were NUGGETS

Thank you.

I originally stopped coming here because I didn't have access to the internet. That hasn't been the case for a while, but I just haven't been reading comics beyond Fables. I intend to stick around this time.

7. wonderfly

wonderfly Say yes!
    Staff Member Administrator

Oh for pity's sake. I just read Venom #5, and it's quite possibly the best single issue stand-alone story from last year. I definitely should've voted for it in the Year End Awards thread. I have so many Marvel titles that I try and follow, so I have to pick and choose what to read first and put off the rest for later, and it always shocks me when I stumble across a title that I should've been reading more of months ago.

Venom Issue #5 should be reason alone for Rick Remender winning "Best Writer of 2011". Though Dan Slott and Jason Aaron are still a close second.

8. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes PBS: We rock harder than MTV

My comics reading this week:

Kevin Keller #1: Enjoyed the first issue of Kevin's own ongoing (bimonthly) series. Was also nice to see it dispel the jokes about him being "the only gay guy in Riverdale" (as he's seen dating---or semi-bumblingly trying to---in this issue). Archie's "advice" was also rather funny...

The All-New Batman: The Brave and the Bold #16: Final issue of this series; a fun outing with Bat-Mite (plus a send-off for the comic too).

Marvel Adventures Super Heroes #23: Two Fantastic Four stories; the latter one more serious themed than the former, but both were fun. Reminded why I like the Thing.

Amazing Spider-Man #679: Yes, I bought the "real" Spider-Man comic (versus the Marvel Adventures version I usually buy, but is soon being axed). Enjoyed this story (even if I didn't know
    ), and it was (to overuse the word again) fun. Guess I'll give the next few issues a go as well (since I always liked Doc Ock, and need a replacement for the various DCNU books I either dropped and/or got axed).