LEGO Unikitty

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by Cosmo, Mar 30, 2017.

1. SuperFan2024

SuperFan2024 Shoo fly.

The Simpsons first produced episode was actually it's 13th episode. Unfortunately, because the animation was so bad originally, they stalled the episode to reanimate, and made it become the last episode of season one. Fortunately, the Christmas episode was already done, and it was around the time of Christmas, so Fox just aired the Christmas episode first and just made that episode the first episode of the series. Though, production wise, episode 13 is actually the first episode.

Back to topic, the show isn't really meant for me since i'm a teen, but i'm sure the lil kids will love it. It's a fast paced show, full of bright colors, and is based on a popular movie. CN should air The Lego Movie right before this premieres though. Or, they should be like; "Remember UniKitty from The Lego Movie? Well, now she has her own TV show!" Kids might not remember her from the movie, so CN should get her back to speed by using the movie as promotion.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

They’ll need to get the rights back first. Nick is airing it next month.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yum

Yum Active Member

The animation is bright, colorful and smooth, the pacing is quite tight...I spy Kate Miccuci as the Fox scientist thing...and Grey Griffin's the dog...I snickered at the dark creature and the spooky game...very tight pilot...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Carlos Gutierrez

What were Unikitty and Puppycorn going to say just as the preview ended?

5. Robin44

Robin44 Active Member

This show actually looks really good, yeah the title cards aren’t creative but the show will be good I’m sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Toonatic

Toonatic Active Member

Already a winner!

You got the great duo of Tara Strong and Grey DeLisle, Phil Lord and Christopher Miller executing producing, in a word, awesome. :)

7. 2-D chirox

2-D chirox Active Member

It's not TTG, and it's not MLP. It seems to be doing it's own thing based on the footage. The humour also seems to work very well. I only have 2 problems. Puppycorn sounds kind of annoying. His voice just has that annoying kid sound to it. The animation also looks.... odd in some places. Mainly with the walking animation for unikitty herself. I get it's Lego and all but the stiffness makes things look unnatural and almost painful looking for the characters.

Some people seem to be comparing it to TTG but I don't know if they've even watched a full episode of TTG. One of the main killers of TTG is it's mean spirited tone. Something that doesn't seem to be as present in this show (it wouldn't make sense if it was anyway seeing as it's a character all about positivity).

Overall it looks alright and I am very motivated to give it a chance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

Will be definitely be checking this out

9. PinkiePie97

When the show was first announced, I saw people comparing it to TTG because of the art style (which I agree looks similar, but I don't think that's really giving the show a fair judgement, especially since I've never actually heard a lot of complaints about TTG's art style).

10. Robin44

Robin44 Active Member

Well keep in mind, Aaron Horvath is a producer on Unikitty, really anything could happen. But I wouldn’t really compare it to Go, it’s much better imo from the 2 minute clip we just witnessed. Also I love the astronauts in the beginning and now they’re in Lego Movie animation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

It does have a TTG vibe. Somewhat. I can see it eventually becoming big if supported.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Toonatic

Toonatic Active Member

Plus, TTG is rated TV-PG whereas UniKitty is TV-Y7.

To me, I get it why it reminds people of TTG; the style is familiar and why not; it's made by the company and apparently Aaron Horvath as producer but regardless I find it will by WAY different from TTG.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #152 Toonatic, Oct 25, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  13. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user and expert in cartoons

All I've seen in the comments is that some Japanese band called Babymetal did the theme song.

14. Robin44

Robin44 Active Member

Cause they don’t care about the actual series

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. TheMisterManGuy

TheMisterManGuy Active Member

This actually doesn't look bad. It's similar in visual style to TTG!, but it actually feels like a different show. I hope this becomes a hit, if only because I just want TTG! to end ASAP. Though if it becomes a success, then CN will spam it like they spam TTG!, but at the very least, I'd rather have a show like this spammed than the former.

• Like Like x 1
  16. DeanBurrito25

DeanBurrito25 Well-Known Member

Sure, it shares the same Flash animation pipeline as TTG - doubly so considering they're both made by WB Animation - but based on that clip alone it doesn't feel derivative. The animation looks nicer in some places and the intro sequence is also catchy and fun. There doesn't appear to be much of a mean spirited edge here like in TTG, either.

It's a shame that Alison Brie couldn't reprise her role as Unikitty, but oh well.

17. PinkiePie97

A promo aired after the sneak peek last night.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. Gear3dGryph0n

Gear3dGryph0n Active Member

I'm loving the expressiveness of these characters, who knew this little Lego blocks could be some of the most expressive cartoon characters on today? There's a certain energy and chemistry to them that's very enjoyable. It sort of reminds me of early MLP in the way that they could do any story that's been done before but still be entertaining off of the strength and originality of their characters. I'll be looking forward to more and hoping this doesn't become the next Franchise Zombie.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Yum

Yum Active Member

I don't really like how that 'Hawk-o-dile' character is designed; it seems to be made of arbitrary shapes that don't really flow along the character's construction. Unikitty's lighter pink cheek region doesn't raise when the character smiles. The mouth seems just pasted on the face with no attention to facial detail. The character designs here are the literal definition of what John Kricfalusi hates about modern animation: characters made from broken shapes standing straight up and down, My Little Pony colors, and catchphrases no one in their right mind would say. The animation is very smooth and expressive and bright, neon girly colored, it also kind of ruins the whole LEGO aesthetic that this show is obviously going for. LEGO's, by nature, aren't known for having smooth, fluid animation outside of the company's CGI shorts, you're always accustomed to put them in stop-motion.

[Edit] Oh wait, Unikitty's cheek region does raise a little when she smiles, but it still looks pretty lazy.

20. Gatordragon

Gatordragon "In the end, I will reign supreme"

Here's a new Unikitty clip for y'all.

• Like Like x 2