1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Lego DC Comics - Justice League: Gotham City Breakout" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by Yojimbo, Jun 21, 2016.

?

"Lego DC Comics - Justice League: Gotham City Breakout" - Rate and discuss this animated feature!

1. *****

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

An all-new Lego adventure pits the Justice League against Batman's rogues gallery!

[​IMG]

Lego DC Comics Super Heroes - Justice League: Gotham City Breakout
    Studio: Warner Bros. Animation, DC Comics
    Release Date: Digital - June 21, 2016; Home Video - July 12, 2016

Synopsis: Fighting crime is a full-time job and Batman NEVER takes a vacation. That is until he finally agrees to let Batgirl and Nightwing take him on a long overdue trip – leaving Gotham City under the watchful eye of the Justice League in LEGO® DC Comics Super Heroes - Justice League: Gotham City Breakout.

When Batgirl and Nightwing take Batman on a trip down memory lane – literally – to visit one of the key mentors from his formative years, it’s up to the Justice League to keep Gotham City crime-free. But neither situation proves to be a “vacation” as the Bat trio encounters old nemeses on their adventure, and the Justice League discovers just how busy Batman is on a regular basis. It’s a brick-tastic battle on two fronts as Batman, Batgirl and Nightwing take on Bane and Deathstroke, while the Justice League – with some help from a few Teen Titans – fends off an assault by many of Batman’s infamous adversaries to ensure Gotham City’s safety.

The cast of Lego DC Comics Super Heroes – Justice League: Gotham City Breakout features Modern Family star Sarah Hyland joining the cast as the voice of Batgirl alongside some of the top actors in the industry voicing a quartet of Justice League super heroes: Troy Baker (Batman), Nolan North (Superman), Grey Griffin (Wonder Woman) and Khary Payton (Cyborg). Eric Bauza (Bane), John DiMaggio (Deathstroke), Tom Kenny (Penguin), Jason Spisak (Joker), Tara Strong (Harley Quinn) and Vanessa Marshall (Poison Ivy) comprise the rogues’ gallery of villains that Batman and the Justice League must confront. The Teen Titans also join the fray, vocally represented by Will Friedle (Nightwing), Greg Cipes (Beast Boy), Scott Menville (Robin) and Hynden Walch (Starfire). Amy Hill adds to the fun as the voice of Madame Mantis

LEGO® DC Comics Super Heroes - Justice League: Gotham City Breakout is directed by Matt Peters and Mel Zwyer from a script by Jim Krieg. Sam Register, Jill Wilfert and Jason Cosler are executive producers. Benjamin Melniker & Michael Uslan are co-executive producers, and Brandon Vietti is supervising producer.

Comments and thoughts? Discuss the Lego DC Comics Super Heroes: Justice League: Gotham City Breakout animated feature in this thread!

Related Threads:
    -Lego DC Comics - Justice League: Gotham City Breakout Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)
    -Lego DC Comics Super Heroes: Justice League: Cosmic Clash Digital/Blu-ray/DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Lego DC Comics - Justice League: Attack of the Legion of Doom! Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Lego DC Comics Super Heroes: Justice League VS. Bizarro League Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Lego DC Comics: Batman Be-Leaguered Animated Special Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Lego Batman: The Movie - DC Super Heroes Unite Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham Video Game Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes Video Game Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Lego Batman Video Game Talkback (Spoilers)

Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

2. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Well, after watching In think we all know who the most diabolical Batman villain truly is--

The Spoon!!

3. Hordesman

Hordesman slashor

is Anarky in it?

4. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

No.

5. Hordesman

Hordesman slashor

Figured as much but I'm sure I'll TiVo or Netflix it at some point down the road.

6. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Here's a clip of the opening

• Like Like x 1
  7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Nice seeing Dick as Robin and in the traditional Nightwing look :).

Interesting they didn't name who the new Robin is. He obviously looks like Damian, but I guess they're leaving it deliberately ambiguous which Robin it is :sweat:.

8. WebMasterSage

WebMasterSage Obey the Pecking Order.

SPOOONN!!!!!!!

9. superspidey2257

superspidey2257 Your Friendly Neighbourhood Forum User

there's more puns in this than there is in 4 seasons of ultimate spiderman.
    it was entertaining but not as good as the previous movies.

10. Jordan Valdés

Okay, let me start by saying that I have not been a fan of any of the Lego DC movies so far. Silly superhero stories aren't really my jam, and I really can't stand a silly Batman. I mean, I hoped to never see the Batusi in any Batman film ever again in my life, and here I am having just watched an entire crowd of characters dancing it. I know Lego movies are never going to have super deep plots or anything, but they could at least be more tonally in-line with the Batman Unlimited films, which while completely prioritizing action over any semblance of an emotionally-impactful story, they aren't silly. That being said, I find it hard to completely dislike any Batman movie, so I do have some good things to say about Gotham City Breakout, and here are my thoughts (both bad and good):

- Gotham City looked fantastic! The architecture of the buildings and the way everything looked really caught my eye in a good way during that Harley Quinn chase at the beginning of the film.

- I think this was the first time Scott Menville has ever gotten to voice Robin alongside Batman. While this was probably Tim Drake Robin instead of Dick Grayson, who he usually voices, Menville has done such a great job as Robin in the Teen Titans for 13 years now, so it was exciting to finally hear him alongside the Caped Crusader.

- It is always a treat to see other Justice League members in Gotham, and this was no exception. I love watching their approaches to taking down Batman's rogues gallery.

- The New 52 costumes! They introduced these a couple of Lego films back, and I dug them in the comics, and I dig them in Lego form.

- Why wasn't Slade allowed to be called Deathstroke in the Teen Titans animated series if he's now been called that in two "kids" animated projects -- here and in Young Justice? Also I gotta say, I much prefer him as a straight-up villain (like in Teen Titans and Arrow) than as an anti-hero like in this movie, so I wasn't a huge fan of his portrayal.

- DickBabs!!! While nothing romantic, we did get a ton of interaction between Nightwing and Batgirl in this, and I loved it!

- Why didn't the Teen Titans come help out in Gotham? I feel like it was misleading to finally put a bunch of them in one of these Lego movies and then kind of relegate them to the side. Even more of a missed opportunity since they got all the voice actors from the animated series to reprise their roles.

- Bane and Poison Ivy were the villain highlights for me. Bane was formidable and had some great action sequences (even though it irked me he was defeated by pulling his venom tubes as usual). Meanwhile, I feel Poison Ivy is a villain who isn't generally used enough, and it was a good call to bring her out against the Justice League, since she has superpowers.

- I love Jason Spisak. His work as Wally West in Young Justice is one of my favorite voice performances of all-time. But why on Earth did they have him voice The Joker in this, especially when they were actually able to get Troy Baker and John DiMaggio on the project? I've never liked Baker as Batman, and DiMaggio was nothing special as Deathstroke, but they've both done phenomenal work as The Joker in other media, so why didn't one of them voice him? Spisak just wasn't right for the role.

11. WebMasterSage

Well for one, It's Lego. It's supposed to be Kid Friendly. As for the Joker, I would rather have Martin Billany as the Joker in this. He's too hilarious to have the Joker screw the rules with Green Hair.

12. Jordan Valdés

Why does it being kid-friendly mean Baker or DiMaggio couldn't do it? Baker voiced The Joker in Batman Unlimited: Monster Mayhem (also kid-friendly). And hmm, I'm not familiar with Billany.

13. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

I'd say that the first part of WebMasterSage's comment was aimed at your own criticism about the silliness of the movie, not about the casting. Complaining about a Lego movie being too silly seems a bit, well, silly in its own right.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. WebMasterSage

As Otaku-Sempai said below:
    There you have it.

LittleKuriboh from Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged? He's the guy who made Abridging as a Genre.

15. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this movie was a lot of fun. While the Gotham City Breakout plot was pretty predictable, Batman's side-story was more intriguing. It was cool seeing the Bat-Family spend some quality time together, in some amusing and kind of unexpected circumstances. Madame Mantis was pretty hilarious, I never even heard of the character before but really enjoyed her in the movie. It was neat seeing more from Batman's past, his training and the friendly rivalry he had with Slade Wilson. In a way it was sort of reminiscent of the recent Beware the Batman, though Alfred was more connected to Slade in that version. The Batface and Strokedeath mentions were nice gags.

The quest for the forbidden move did kind of drag on at times but it was handled pretty well. Bane as the main villain of the movie worked, though Deathstroke's development kind of overshadowed all that. The race of warriors living underground (sorry, I couldn't understand what they were called) were decent additions to the plot. Their politeness was sort of similar to those Goofy Gophers from the Looney Tunes cartoons. The prince and his rushed cliche romance with Batgirl was pretty amusing.

The Gotham scenes were fun as well, seeing some of the world's greatest heroes trying to defeat some of the weirdest names in Batman's rogues gallery (and a spoon). I was expecting the Teen Titans to play a bigger role in the movie though I didn't really mind their absence that much. What we got was good enough. Superman meeting Commissioner Gordon was a great gag highlighting some of the differences between the Dark Knight and this cheery version of the Man of Steel, which I hope will continue to be used in these Lego movies.

Overall, a nice and fun adventure which I found entertaining enough.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jordan Valdés

I'm not saying it has to be Mask of the Phantasm, but as I said, I feel the tone of the Batman Unlimited films could fit the Lego movies well. Those movies are very light on plot and very heavy on action, but they aren't silly.

Never been a Yu-Gi-Oh fan, but ok gotcha.

17. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

Your definition of 'silly' then is a bit different than mine, but that's what makes horse races (as the saying goes).

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jordan Valdés

Exactly, to each their own haha!

19. woantu

woantu New Member

Mantis lady, is my favorite character in the movie. Boss final ^^.
    Favorite movie scenes: Joker prepared soups. Haha, Spices include: Super Man, Super Woman, Cyborg and somewhat water, somewhat Kryptonite ... prepare a soup and bad in the world's funniest superhero.
    soup Super Herose.jpg
    The end of the movie, go back to your favorite games. Also full superhero character, but for now 1 games related to Lego DC Comics.
    Share Lego: DC Mighty Micros games, RPG Batman, Robins, Flash against the bad guys in Gotham City.

20. ashleesmach1

ashleesmach1 Banned

Good movie, I enjoyed it very much!