1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Legion" Season One Talkback

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Yojimbo, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Agreed, she's really flexed her acting skills with the different roles/versions throughout these 6 episodes. I was surprised to see Oliver come to the rescue but poor Kerry.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Chapter 6

3. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Lenny as the Shadow King is pretty creepy to be honest, but in a good way. Same with the Division 3 agent stalking Kerry and the surprise appearance at the end. I was wondering if we'd ever see the Interrogator in episode 1 again, since we didn't see him as a 'villain'.

I was surprised Ptonomy had such a small role for whatever reason, but everyone else had some strong moments like Melanie, Cary and Oliver working together, Cary's 'phone booth' chat with Syd or Kerry's fear and anger at Cary. Pretty much any scene with Cary! :p

Xavier's wheelchair appearing, the blackboard animations and hearing Amahl Farouk/Shadow King's name were definitely impressive/fun. David's origins being explained by himself was a solid way of revealing the story.

The previous episode felt like a reboot of episode 1's hospital scenes in a way. This episode felt like a thrill-a-minute escape from David's mind/the Shadow King, especially with the dialogue in text on the screen like old-school movies. That was also fantastic. Great stuff and the finale will be interesting to see.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

My goodness, this was such an awesome and satisfying episode for those who stuck with the show!! From totally confirming Shadow King, to Professor X's chair, to the chalkboard backstory, David's rational self helping out -- of course he's British :D, Oliver, Cary and Syd having a hilarious scene in the phone booth -- glad that Eye guy got creamed and they didn't glaze over Kerry's anger at Cary for leaving her alone. Not so tough after all. Funny, it was sort of a relief to see Division Three wasn't totally wiped out. Would have been a waste. And to top it off, yeah, that interrogator is back but rather messed up. I loved it when Oliver took one more sip despite being surrounded by the Division tac team. Oh yeah, and love how they keep surprising us with genre - here with the silent film.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Moss Piglet

Moss Piglet New Member

I absolutely love this show. However, one thing troubled me with Chapter 7. We have seen that Melanie and Cary were unable to move the bullets or David and Syd in the "gunshot room." How, then, is Cary able to move the Halo device in order to place it on David. I know I am probably being overly picky, but it bugs me.

Again, let me say, Legion is by far my favorite of all the current comic based shows on television. Netflix, eat your heart out.

• Like Like x 1
    #25 Moss Piglet, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  6. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

I think the bullets were too hot to touch, so that's why they couldn't move them. And I definitely think this show is one of the best comic book shows on TV as well. It makes me wonder how they can top it in season 2. :)
    Yeah, I chuckled at the moment with Oliver and his drink and the silent film stuff was very effective. That whole sequence with Lenny's finding Syd and Kerry was pretty creepy and one of the few times this show's freaked me out a bit. :p

EDIT:
    Noah Hawley talks about Legion and its casting process, connections to the X-Men, the length of season two and more. There's some pretty interesting information in this interview about how hard it was to shoot the show, which really makes me appreciate it more.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #26 Greg91, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Chapter 8

8. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

That was a pretty strong finale. I'm glad it wasn't really an action-packed finale, but it wasn't all talking either. I really enjoyed the opening where we got to see what Clark was doing after episode one and his family (which was really cute). He definitely doesn't seem to be as malicious as the previous Division 3 agent who was after the team. Returning to modern day, the opening sequence wrapped up surprisingly with last episode's cliffhanger ending on an anti-climatic and humorous note that strangely worked.

At first, Syd seemed to be a bit overly concerned about David's well-being while the team was trying to remove Shadow King from his mind, but I understood where she was coming from after awhile and I'm glad Melanie let Syd help David. Melanie's relationship with Oliver likely came to her mind when Syd was trying to save David. It's too bad he couldn't remember her until the end of the episode.

The interactions were really strong from Ptonomy, Cary, Syd, David, and Melanie's discussion about dealing with Clark to Clark's multiple chats with the different protagonists (like Cary and Kerry). I'm glad Kerry forgave Cary after the ordeal with Shadow King. It was too bad Amy missed out on the finale.

Shadow King messing with Syd was really well done and it made sense since Syd and David shared their own space in his mind (or whatever it exactly was). Aubrey Plaza did a fantastic job when Shadow King didn't show his true self. Of course she looked much nicer at the end of the episode.

I was surprised the big showdown was between David and Kerry (taken over by Shadow King). Clark even gave Kerry a good hit. The ending made it clear that Shadow King is not out of the show (unless they're done with Oliver and Shadow King for whatever reason). I also liked the inclusion of a mid-credit scene!

Legion has been a really good show that had to prove itself to those who didn't like that it wasn't part of a shared universe or focused on a more popular Marvel character. I'm glad the cast and crew proved them wrong. I have to admit I wasn't sure about Legion when it was announced, but I was willing to give it a chance. So glad I didn't pre-judge it like so many others.

Out of all the songs that played during the credits, Hyperactive has to be my favorite, followed by Children of the Revolution.

• Like Like x 1
    #28 Greg91, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I had a feeling Shadow King would end up in one of the show's other telepaths. I'm wondering what or who he's searching for at the end there with Oliver. Professor X? David's mother?

It was a nice addition to focus on Clark at the beginning and see his change in heart as he took on Shadow King with the others. It'll be interesting to see if Summerland and Division Three can work together long enough to take him down next season presumably.

Yeah, that was my one gripe. No room for further resolution with Amy.

I'm also glad I stuck it out and watched the show start to finish.

Mid-creditis scene was a great "WTH just happened?!" Good thing they got renewed. :D

EDIT 4/4: Neat theories about the orb.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #29 Yojimbo, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017