1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Legion" Season One Talkback

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Yojimbo, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]

"David Haller was diagnosed with schizophrenia at a young age, and has been a patient in various psychiatric hospitals since. After Haller has an encounter with a fellow psychiatric patient, he is confronted with the possibility that there may be more to him than mental illness."

Official website.
    Twitter.
    Facebook.

Chapter 1

2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Oh, man. That was a very strong first episode! The visuals, the structure of the story, the tone, the acting, the angles -- to take such a small time character and create an amazing series seemed improbably but I think Noah Hawley has done it.

Interesting villains - Division and that being with the yellow eyes -- who everyone thinks is Mojo -- that's probably one of David's split personalities that I think took over when Syd was stuck in his body and killed Lenny.

• Winner Winner x 1
    #2 Yojimbo, Feb 9, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  3. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Haven't seen it yet---had to choose between a 90 minute Legion opener and Match Game---but I can speculate on the origins of David Haller getting the name Legion in the X-books back in the day. I think I can trace that to the Gospels, particularly Luke & Mark, where Jesus encountered a man possessed by several demons.

".....My name is Legion, for we are many."---Luke 5:9.

I wonder if Chris Claremont had used the Bible for a lot of inspiration during his X-run, particularly when writing Nightcrawler.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. TFormersMarvel

TFormersMarvel Active Member

Legion did pretty well on FX, scoring a respectably high 0.7 (or 0.69) within the 18-49 demo and a total of 1,622,000 Nielson viewers. The only program that top it was ESPN’s NBA Basketball coverage (0.8 with 1, 958,000 viewers).

So far, it's doing a little bit better than Tom Hardy's Taboo (0.6) and Noah Hawley's critical hit Fargo (0.8 rating with 2.7 million viewers), though some thought that it would hit American Crime Story: The People v O.J Simpson's rare levels of cable ratings (2.0 rating with 5 million viewers, premiere wise) because of its Super Bowl promotions scattered about.

5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Chapter 2

6. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Ok, so I watched episode 2. They're doing the smart thing and bringing the story forward carefully. Only 6 eps remain for the first season. I've read it described as being a parallel universe as opposed to being tied to the MCU or the X-movies. That should be enough to draw casual non-comics fans in, but can it get to 1.0 or higher?

BTW, FX replays the episode immediately after. If I feel up to it, I may watch the replay the next couple of weeks so I can watch Match Game at 10 until it ends its winter run. Otherwise, I may wait for the DVD.

7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Agreed, the out of order structure is well executed and we're learning a little more about David, learning about his powers, the monster, Dad the astronomer, Summerland, and the Divisions. The teleportation of the MRI machine was awesome. Lenny stealing a stove top oven cracked me up.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TFormersMarvel

TFormersMarvel Active Member

Regarding the rating of Chapter Two, it scored a 0.53 rating/viewership in 18-49 demographic with a total of 1,133,000 viewers. Overall, it was 6th place among the Top 25 cable originals on Wednesdays.

According to Show Buzz Daily:

What's more impressive (besides David's trippy telekinetic powers), is the show's DVR performance according to Deadline. The first episode gained a "+102% lift in Adults 18-49 and +101% Total Viewers, the highest ever for an FX premiere", which resulted in "a total of 1.8 rating/viewership in the 18-49 demo and 3.27 million total viewers".

Deadline goes on to further state:

• Informative Informative x 2
    #8 TFormersMarvel, Feb 18, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Chapter 3

10. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

This was a pretty fun episodes with a creepy third act. It wasn't scary in my opinion though because it was compelling to watch. David's yellow eyed 'friend' returned and it was nice for someone else (Sydney) to see him.

It was also cute to see Sydney finally get to touch David through his younger self. That hug was so adorable. Her chase after him in the house followed by that hide and seek moment was pretty compelling.

Melanie getting her hand messed up in that book (kind of) was intense. Speaking of which, the Angriest Boy character from that dark children's book appearing in David's memories just added another creep to scare the pants off him.

David's powers and his relationship with Sydney have been so nicely developed, it's quite intriguing to watch. I just feel bad that his sister has been kidnapped.

This episode really sold me on this show. The first two episodes were good, but I didn't quite latch onto them.

11. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, that yellow eyes has got to be his pent up anger or he really does have schizo and it's a personality that's become too strong because of his powers. Either way, breaking Melanie's hand like that - I mean that was the silhouette behind her right?

I have to agree, those scenes with David and Syd are great. The chat at the docks about when they switched bodies was hilarious. The teleportation and now I think astral projection? Melanie was right, he could be the most powerful if he keeps discovering more abilities.

Nice to get some backstory on Summerland and that weird guy that widdles - Walter - has a connection to them. Though ghost Lenny might have a point about Melanie's secrets having secrets. Hmm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Yeah, it would make sense that he has both schizophrenia and powers. So the devil with the yellow eyes could very well be his anger from over the years. Nice idea! Some people have guessed it could be Mojo or Blob, but neither would make sense in the context of the show or plot.

And yes, the shadow did look like the yellow eyed creature, not the angry boy, even though Melanie was reading the Angriest Boy book.

David and Sydney's conversation about body swapping was great. I think Dan Stevens and Rachel Keller have done a wonderful job portraying this non-touch relationship and their individual character traits.

The Eye (the weird guy looking for David that I like to call Pip the Troll :D) seeing David and Sydney in the interrogation room was pretty interesting and I did expect something to happen while the couple were listening in. There really is a lot to talk about for this show.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Chapter 4

14. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

The ice cube opening just reconfirmed to me not to have any expectations for this show (so I wasn't surprised by a seemingly unrelated opening). I really liked seeing what different characters were going through while David was 'out' for most of the episode. It was sad to see what Amy is going through but at least she found Dr. Kissinger.

Sydney, Ptonomy/Wallace and Kerry's missions were pretty fun to watch. Syd and Wallace were a great team and only furthered my enjoyment of the characters as well as Rachel Keller and Jeremie Harris' performances. David meeting Melanie's husband Oliver was pretty interesting though I was sad to see Melanie didn't have much of a role in this episode.

Kerry's origin was a bit confusing for me and took multiple viewings to really take in. It's interesting that she ages slower than he does because he's out and about more than she is. I like how she described eating, sleep, and 'whatever you doing in the bathroom' as boring stuff. :p

Whenever she appeared out of nowhere behind Cary or something in previous episodes, I thought it was just camera trickery and that her powers were teleportation like Nightcrawler or phasing like Kitty Pryde. It was pretty smart of them to do that until they revealed the truth.

The talk with Dr. Poole led to quite an interesting showdown. It seems like Mr. "Pip the Troll" has powers of his own because Wallace seemed to have his powers drained similar to what Amon could do in The Legend of Korra. The switch sequence was cool and led to an edge of your seat ending with Kerry taking a hit for the team. I hope she and Cary aren't dead.

Near the end of the episode, I correctly guessed who the 'devil with the yellow eyes' really was. Now I'm curious what parts of David's memories are real and what are fake. The montage at the end was plenty of fun though I wanted to see Kerry in action before that. This show keeps surprising me by how entertaining it is. I thought it was going to be good, but I didn't think it was going to be this intriguing to watch.

#14 Greg91, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  15. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Indeed, the seemingly random opening turned out to be Oliver trapped on the astral plane. Guess that's another story. That was intriguing that yellow eyes couldn't get into the cube.

Learning Cary and Kerry's origin/power was unexpected and really intriguing. I was definitely thinking the same things they were wondering.

It was nice to see Syd, Kerry and Ptonomy peeling away the lies and finding out what's real by doing some footwork outside of Summerland -- but fell right into Division Three's trap.

Walter definitely has some strange psychic power. But ultimately no match for Syd. But uh, David ruined it. Still, that effect of him teleporting out of the road was rad as was 'Lenny' appearing behind him. But still no closer to finding Amy...

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Chapter 5

17. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

I felt pretty bad for Amy after what David and Lenny were doing to her in the house. I thought David might be corrupted after seeing him so confident. The ending of the episode certainly had some horror vibes and the lack of audio was a nice touch. I also wonder if Syd feels weird after she and David had some fun in the alternate reality or whatever it was, and then found out his mind was messed up.

The show seems to be hinting that David still is schizophrenic but has powers at the same time or his mind is being used by the Devil with the yellow eyes. If Lenny really is the Shadow King, that would be a very different take on the character. The reveal that David was adopted and Cary's image-in-the-sky communication was pretty cool.

18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, they laid it pretty thick that it's the Shadow King. The best look at what he looks like. Feeding off telepaths, primarily. The made up pet dog named "King." Yellow eyes. Being without a body. Taking a host. The Astral Plane. The Division Three guy saying it wears a human face. It would be rather interesting if King reveals he targeted David because his real father rejected him once...

Rainbow Connection with a banjo, lol. I also dug the sudden mute. Loved the ending. Just when you think you know where this show is going -- BAM. Group therapy at Clockworks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Chapter 6
    Also, today, FX renewed Legion for a second season!

20. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

Good call on "Lenny's" relationship with David's biological father. Good episode that solidified the villain and the stakes before moving on to the last two episodes. Strong work by Aubrey Plaza throughout. She's doing some nice work in this show.

• Agree Agree x 2