Legendary Pictures' "Godzilla" Pre-Release Discussion

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by DarthGonzo, Aug 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Ten Years on TZ!

2. SuperMegaHyper

SuperMegaHyper ...I don't even know anymore.

3. Don_East

Don_East A regular character.

Well, I hope Legacy Pictures doesn't screw it up like Tristar did.

4. DarthGonzo

This is such a bad idea. People are going to have a knee jerk reaction to this, immediately remember the Tristar film and how everyone always makes fun of the Japanese Godzilla and will avoid this on principle.

There's no market for giant monster films in this country. Cloverfield only did ok because the marketing brought people in. Attendance dropped the second weekend when people realized it was just Blair Witch meets Godzilla.

Gigantic pass if this actually get made. Thought it probably wont.

5. Jeff Harris

Jeff Harris Creator/Webmaster, TXB

Because somebody (probably Toho) thinks that one of these days, they're going to get it right.

Hell, I'm probably one of the minority that feels that the Zilla animated series that followed up the '98 movie was WAY better than it should have been and proved that in the right hands, Zilla (Toho's name for the American Godzilla) could be a great character, something the filmmakers failed to do.

Also, and here's the thing that a lot of people tend to overlook, the Godzilla movies were kind of cheesy and well aware of their cheesiness. The deification of the Gojira movies in this country as something bigger and better than they are is kind of an off-shoot of the fringe otaku element that kind of ruins Japanese animation for the rest of us. Toei knows that the Godzilla property is a famous one in this country, but they want to legitimize it beyond people in rubber suits stomping on model buildings.

Unfortunately, the core of the fringe don't want to see changes to the franchise and will instantly hate whatever comes their way, especially if it comes from America.

6. macattack

macattack I see you!

Because they can learn from the previous one's mistakes.

Still, I smell a recipe for disaster.

7. SuperMegaHyper

SuperMegaHyper ...I don't even know anymore.

Yeah, but so far it looks pretty good, and I think it will do moderately well, The Host did okay, and can we merge since having two topics is a little redundant.:sweat:

8. DarthGonzo

I meant it too, mainly cause it stinks.

And Toho makes Godzilla movies, not Toei.

9. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

Hmm, I haven't really seen any Tri-Star films except Jumanji, so I don't know what to expect.

10. Mesousa

Mesousa Biggest Hinata Azuma fanboy

It still grossed really well, you know, especially in January standards.

11. DarthGonzo

Well yeah, because it's budget was really small. I've heard someone say that it's second weekend box office drop was practically record breaking.

12. soundmonkey44

soundmonkey44 Melancholic Man.

Godzilla Is Toho's Starchild! They should'nt let Paramount Buthcer him again, I admit I enjoyed the 98 movie cause well who doesn't love a movie with a giant dinasour destroying stuff, ecspecially when your a kid, but even back then I was all like "Thats not godzilla!" "Godzillas Green!" & even though i enjoy the nostalgia i may get from the movie overall I still Prefere the one & only ORigional Godzilla yes he's chessy & his enimies look like puppets most of the time but theres somting charming about it all.

Not to mention i loved the how Big-G killed the US Copy Cat in Final wars, now if we can get a US Zilla thats accurate to his roots I'll be thrilled to see it! If not let the 1st be the last. IMO that is.:sweat:

13. Scirel

Scirel WHY SO FRIENDSHIP?

IIRC, Yoshimitsu Banno, the Director of the clearly Drug-influenced Godzilla vs. Hedorah(Smog monster) was helming this.

As long as they don`t change godzilla's design too much from the Iconic Early Heisei design, have him be killed by freaking MISSLES, and make him a pregnant Lady, you know, like they did last time, it should be fine.

14. sdp

sdp God

I like Godzilla 1998, yeah it has its flaws but come one it gets far too much hate. Its far from being the worst Godzilla movie its not like the japanese godzilla films are all great they range from good to so bad its good to so bad its horrible.

15. DarthGonzo

No, Banno was working on his own project which was to be a 3-D, IMAX mini-movie. But he couldn't find a financial backer so it looks like the project is dead.

This will be a different project entirely. Assuming it gets made.

16. Sarada

Sarada Reporter

I really see no reason for another American film unless it is highly respectful of the original Gojira character, themes, and the like. Most films seem to piggy-back off of the original film, essentially creating alternate timelines, each stemming from the same source, which I think would be the only logical choice. It's not like the original needs to be retold, nor is there really any need to continue from the '98 film, unless Zilla Jr. is going to be used as fodder for the grandpappy of 'em all to slap around again.

17. macattack

macattack I see you!

American Godzilla can be done right, with a good budget, a decent director, and a writer that is both respectful of Godzilla but is also mindful of American sensibilities.

Plus it would help if the dialogue matched the actors' lips this time. I noticed that during a rerun, not all of the spoken dialogue matched the mouths of the actors. That excusable in a live-action dub, but most definitely not in a big-budget Hollywood movie.

And I'd like the 100-piece orchestra not exploding in my ears, please. Dark Knight, as great of a movie as it was, got nearly intolerable in parts because of the orchestra being really frickin' loud with no discernable melody or theme. The American Godzilla was a predecessor of that.

18. DarthGonzo

What? That's supposed to be funny right? Because it's natural for a dubbed version of a Japanese film to have awkward lip syncing.

Why would a Hollywood movie be dubbed?

19. JAG

JAG New Member

I...wow. This is a surprise. Half of my mind is nauseous at the thought, while the other half is (very) cautiously optimistic. It could concievably work, but...I don't know. Another American take on the King just doesn't feel right. It's more than likely just going to be Transformers with Kaiju, you know?

As for Godzilla himself, we're going to be looking at full CGI, of course. Not the same as the suits, but certainly has its advantages. I think a workable redesign could be something like this:

[​IMG]

It's very faithful to the source material, while still being slimmed down and generally restructered enough to move and fight in a slightly quicker, more flexible, saurian manner. That's one problem that the Japanese version usually has: he really can't do much other than sumo-style fighting. This guy can more easily bite, slash, kick, tail-whip, etc.

Now, I think it goes without saying that King Ghidorah needs to be in this movie. Seeing him portrayed with high-end Hollywood effects would be awesome. But we'll see. Frankly, I'll be shocked if this project actually happens at all.

20. DarthGonzo

I fear this. I won't be surprised if this ends up being nothing but a bloated, mindless, CGI eyesore. Because that's Hollywood for ya.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.