Leaving cable TV behind (discussion for Sling TV, Playstation Vue, HBO Go, etc)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by wonderfly, Nov 14, 2014.

1. SuperFan2024

SuperFan2024 Shoo fly.

Interesting to hear. Thanks! Say, do you prefer watching your shows live with a time-slot, or on your own with the SVOD method?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Both, depends on content and time. Currently in the process of getting used to VOD and slowly migrating towards it, but there are moments and films/shows I prefer to watch on the big screen. Local VOD services in Czech Republic are fairly advanced for the region, I could elaborate if you'd like, but still a lot behind compared to the US/UK for it to become the norm - especially for the elderly for whom TV is the norm.

3. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

In any case, SuperFan2024, let's keep in mind that this is a thread about streaming services, not a "cable/satellite TV is doomed" thread. Just saying. Yes, I know the thread title says "Leaving Cable TV behind", but still.

4. Looney Turtles

Looney Turtles Active Member

Now that the Viacom channels are gone from Spectrum, (which is what I have) I'm thinking of cancelling my subscription with them, and get Sling TV or PlayStation Vue. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of each? Also, can you use a DVR on either of them?

5. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Netflix to produce 80 original films in 2018:

https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/16/16486304/netflix-anime-original-films

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

6. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

7. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

If you're looking for a cheaper streamnig service without sports options, previously college-only service Philo launched wide yesterday.

You can get 37 channels for $16/month or 46 channels for $20/month.

The service doesn't seem too bad honestly. You get full app and web access, plus you're able to stream from 3 devices at the same time for those listed prices as well as a 30-day DVR. Considering what the others like to do when you want to multi-stream or record stuff, this is quite the deal. Of course the limited channel lineup is a detriment depending on your needs. No sports is a given, but there isn't even a US-based news network on here. Also zero Turner networks is a bit disappointing. No clue if they plan on adding to their lineup at this time, but options are options.