1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Leaving cable TV behind (discussion for Sling TV, Playstation Vue, HBO Go, etc)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by wonderfly, Nov 14, 2014.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

That article says that Sling has so far signed up at least 100,000 subscribers. If the number is around 100,000, then I would hope it's a little while before they reach the 2 million subscriber mark.

I say that because I'm still holding off on subscribing for another month or so. Then again, since I did register with their website (I just dropped it once my one week trail was over with), I wonder if I count towards their 2 million subscriber cap. They probably only count those actually paying currently...

2. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

I guess Bloomberg TV is there now, but I don't know when it was added. I scrolled to the area I normally ignore and it was there.

Still waiting on Viacom.

3. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

4. BartWinkle

BartWinkle Active Member

We recently got cable back after eight months without it. I now have it again in my own room after years of having had to go downstairs.

5. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 She rocks both ways.

6. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Heads up -- this weekend all Sling TV customers get HBO Go for free. You get access to the feed as well as every show they've ever made. I'm spending some time with Silicon Valley.

In August they gave everyone Epix for free for one month, but that channel was terrible.

7. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

They announced today Sling would be getting another channel added to the basic package -- ESPN3. It makes business sense since ESPN is a big reason people are paying for this, but I'm still waiting on some big holes to be filled....

8. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Lord Vader

Hmm, cool. Though I was able to access espn3 content through the WatchESPN app anyway with my SlingTV login. Or at least some of the content. But this should make it easier.

I've been running SlingTV on my Ipad and mirroring it to AppleTV. I'm tempted to get the Amazon fire stick, since I think it has a SlingTV app.

9. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Sling has some new channels; none of them are ESPN3....instead they're all weird experiments that would suit the internet better. Like "Newsy," which consists of just six one-minute news reports, and "Local Now," which is similar only it also has brief tweet-sized text reports of news. Sling claims stuff like this will appeal to Millennials, which is rather insulting.

For those with a PS4 or a PS3, Playstation Vue has launched as of today. Its most basic package is $10 more than Sling's, but 55 channels for $30 is an insane deal, and then there's the DVR capabilities, which Sling currently lacks. I'll have to think about this.

What makes me hesistate are two things: one, the basic package doesn't include IFC, and two, I have no way of knowing if the Cartoon Network feed is on East Coast time. Sling's is, and I like having Toonami start at 9 PM.

10. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Lord Vader

Me too. That doesn't sound bad at all. Thanks for posting that info.

11. wonderfly

Oh wow. It's got most of the stuff that "Sling TV" does...plus the Syfy Channel and other NBC channels (like the USA channel).

This might be the way to go...though $30 is starting to get a bit expensive.

12. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

It doesn't sound like it's overpriced given the volume of channels you get. Does it cover cable login-required pages for online streaming and on-demand viewing from channel webpages though? Sling doesn't do that from what I remember, so you're stuck with what they feature only if you want to watch something you may have missed at its scheduled time.

13. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Early, 2-in-the-morning impressions of Playstation Vue:

Well, this is so much better than Sling it's hardly even fair. There's way more than $10 worth of extra content here. Stream is 720p, but Sling was 720p.

Here's the crazy way the cloud DVR works: you don't pick the time a show comes on. You put a show on your favorites list, and it saves EVERY SINGLE TIME THAT SHOW COMES ON all the way back to a month. So if you want to DVR Gumball, you wind up with five tons of Gumball repeats which you'll have to sift through to find the one new episode. Note that this is not space on your PS4 hard drive; it's the cloud. I figure Sony just saves every single thing every channel broadcasts and then lets people pick from that.

The on-demand is also much better than Sling's was; I put One Piece in my favorites and they have the eight previous Toonami episodes available.

My biggest problem is that unlike Sling, it doesn't set everything to East Coast time. I tried putting in a New York zip code but it was too smart for that. Can anyone think of a workaround? I want Toonami at 9 PM....

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. wonderfly

Geez, I'm sooo tempted. Wish this had come out last year, in time for some Syfy series I was hoping to watch.

If I buy this and start DVRing things like crazy though, when will I find time to watch Netflix and Hulu anymore?

EDIT: Hey, can you watch Playstation Vue on your PC? I mean, MUST you watch it on your PS3 or PS4?

15. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

The list of compatible devices is: PS3, PS4, IPad, IPhone, Fire TV, and Chromecast. So no PC (or Roku) yet, but I would expect them to expand the list.
    This is actually a concern of mine as well; with Sling I was paying only for as much content as I had TIME to watch, which still makes sense. It's the DVR that pushed it for me. Now I have too much, but I no longer have to be home exactly when all these shows come on, and that was worth the extra $10 a month to me. I'd probably pay $10 just for the DVR.

One interesting thing: Vue doesn't have any of the A&E networks(Lifetime, Viceland, Used To Be About History Channel), even in the most expensive package. But who cares since those channels are awful.

Vue doesn't have El Rey Network anywhere. Is that an A&E channel? Since it doesn't suck, I don't know.

Sony is promising that they are working on acquiring local channels. I don't need them since I live in the city and my antenna gets them all. As a temporary compromise Vue has ABC, Fox and NBC on demand, which is basically their Hulu content.

Vue does not have HBO yet; Sling does. On the flip side, Vue has Showtime and Sling does not.

Disney XD is on the basic Vue package; on Sling it costs $5 extra. Too bad I'm so behind on Star Wars Rebels. On the flip side, IFC is on the basic Sling package while it costs $5 extra on Vue.

Sportswise Sling has just ESPN and ESPN2, while Vue also includes NBC Sports and both channels of Fox Sports Network. However, people have reported that some live events are blocked out depending on their region and what the rights are. Sling had the same problem. There is something about streaming that needs to be legally fixed.

I have both a PS3 and a PS4 plugged in and have tried the Vue app on both. It runs slower on PS3 than PS4. Not that noticeable on the main screen, but slow as a slug on the schedule page.

Whenever you turn Vue on you can rewind certain channels back a few hours in case you missed something. You're allowed to rewind Disney XD, TNT, Science Channel, Animal Planet, Discovery Channel, Destination America, Disney Channel, Disney Junior, DIY, Food Network, Fox News, Fox Business, HGTV, Investigation Discovery, National Geographic, NBC Sports, OWN, Oxygen, Pop, TLC, and Travel Channel. No idea why you can rewind TNT but not TBS if they're from the same company.

Food Network, TV Land and Travel Channel have both East and West Coast feeds....which is useless. I want East Coast CN!

16. wonderfly

With Playstation Vue's DVR function, my thought process is kinda like: "Hooray! Now I can start DVR recording 'One Piece' on Toonami! Oh wait...I'm 300 episodes behind everyone else..."

English dubbed anime (complete seasons) should be available via streaming on services like Netflix/Hulu. That's what I really want.

17. wonderfly

18. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Lord Vader

I decided to cancel SlingTV and give PlayStation vue a try for at least a month.

My biggest issue was that I was mirroring SlingTV from my iPad to Apple TV, and it rarely seemed to be a smooth process to get it going. If it's smoother using it through the Amazon fire stick, then maybe that's the way I should go. But for now, I think I'll give Vue a shot.

19. wonderfly

I was reading this recent article on Sling TV, and there's a section on there where they mention that most people are watching Sling TV content "On Demand".

I'm still new to all this: Where exactly is this "On Demand" content at on Sling TV?

20. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator