1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Leaving cable TV behind (discussion for Sling TV, Playstation Vue, HBO Go, etc)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by wonderfly, Nov 14, 2014.

1. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

And did The Princess and the Frog air recently on that network?

2. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Yesterday. ABC Fam usually runs Disney movies all weekend.

3. Moto Pete

Moto Pete We Bare-ly Pete's

Ok so.

This Month i got Sling TV , Netflix and Basic Cable ($39.97/mo combined) vs $69.99/mo Cable ( getting my missing channels) and $8.99 Netflix

Sling TV- has almost everything i need. ( Comedy Central FX, FXX, Local Network Channels?) $20 is pretty reasonable. I agree with the Promo thing but it is pretty standard on streaming service. Also wish i worked on more the one device at a time

Netflix - Has great shows that you can binge watch thru..... but is pretty uneven after that. I think i may subscribe on occasions when a show i like comes out but not year round.

Basic TV - Gives me CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, RT, France 24 , Old TV Shows/Movies for $11 something a month.....

The hidden cost is still having to have WiFi $45/mo

So in the end i miss some shows which i can watch online and save $40 a month... which is worth it

4. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

I'm not sure if "hidden" is the right word - that's kinda the whole point: you have to have Wifi for any of this to work. Or a hdmi cable running from your PC to your TV screen (like I used to do)...but at any rate, paying monthly internet fees is all part of the package, right?

Moving on:

I got to studying my PS4 a bit more, and it seems "Playstation Plus" is where the "Powers" TV show is, not "Playstation Vue". So I have access to the show afterall, which I'm going to start watching. Having said that, "Powers" is the only free show on there, every other show on there you have to buy either the seasons or the individual episodes. Kinda like what you can do at Amazon - except they also have "Amazon Prime", which allows you to stream anything in their library, which is like Netflix. "Playstation Plus" seems to only have the "buy the individual episodes/seasons" format. Except for "Powers". I like "free", so I'll just watch that.

EDIT: So just to make sure my head is fully wrapped around it: "Playstation Vue" is a streaming service like Sling TV. Watch cable shows live, rewind to the start like a DVR, etc. "Playstation Plus" is an entertainment rental/purchase service like Amazon.

5. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

A&E is in the Basic Package as of today. And so are both versions of the History Channel, if that mattered since HC is worthless now.

6. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

What company owns those channels?

7. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

A company called A&E Networks, which runs ten channels including the History Channel and Lifetime. Lifetime is in Basic as well; I just didn't see it since it's at the end of the list. You get quite a lot of channels now for $20.

EDIT: Oh for crying out loud. You can pause and rewind the A&E-owned networks. The one place you can do it and it's on channels I'll never watch.

Viacom is still holding its breath, so no Comedy Central or Nick yet.

8. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Disney actually owns A&E. Co-owns them anyway.
    Check to see if you can pause and rewind the other Disney channels.

9. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

A-nope.

10. RandomMe

Disney owns one half of A+E Networks, Hearst owns the other half.
    I assume that the "pause and rewind" function will slowly be rolled out by company.

11. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Well, this is a first: IFC is blocked today from 3 to 9 PM because "rights are restricted" to some movie they're showing twice. A&E is blocked right now and has been blocked for periods of time in the last few days.

There was a write-up about this here, and the interesting thing is that in the comments, no one was dumb enough to blame Sling. They all hurled insults at the cable companies.

12. RandomMe

This is strange, reminds me of first runs of movies and sporting events on the "start over" functions on the terrestrial channels relayed by our TV providers that have constrained broadcasting rights.

13. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Sling will get HBO Go soon. It'll be the same cost that it is on Apple devices ($15). $15 is also how much it costs to get HBO on a cable subscription. So it's premium wherever you turn. They ain't budgin'.

14. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

ABC Family broke itself tonight. I was watching Back to the Future Part II, the movie got to where Jennifer is hiding in the closet, they cut to commercials....and, half an hour later, they still haven't cut back. It just keeps replaying the same network promos in an endless loop.

Now I bet someone tells me it's not a glitch and that ABC Fam runs 30-minute ad breaks all the time.

15. RandomMe

I presume that it's a mere glitch and it must be related to constrained broadcasting rights of at least part of a movie.

16. Dodokoce

Dodokoce Master

Sometimes on MTV Adria, they cut to the ads to early, or they just cut to the show in middle of ad. Mostly happened on VMA'S when it was like sometimes 2-3 mins of black screen, or just cutting of ads..

17. RandomMe

That sometimes happens on the actual channels... Sometimes...
    Like I've said before, I assume that Sling TV decided not to show parts of scenes from a movie due to rights issues.

18. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

No, that makes no sense. You can't buy "part" of a movie; it's not an installment plan.

19. RandomMe

But still, did anyone else watch BTTF 2 on ABC Family and noticed if there was a half-hour promo block or if that was just a Sling TV glitch?

20. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator