1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Least favorite Disney Animation/Pixar film

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by SparkleMan, Jul 19, 2016.

1. JaredCap43™

JaredCap43™ Cringey Network

Little Einsteins: Our Huge Adventure, saw it on DVD as a kid, and IT WAS A WASTE OF MONEY, UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

2. AlexDisney

AlexDisney New Member

Chicken Little

3. ToonReel

ToonReel Active Member

Well there are SOME good direct a video sequels, it's also worth noting some theatrical sequels were originally intended for DTV until Disney decided to boost their marketing and funding (eg. Toy Story 2, The Tigger Movie, Return to Neverland, Bambi II in Europe). I need to rewatch a lot of them to be sure (a few 'films' are just glorified TV pilots which likely aren't very good), though some are actually my favourites.

Would it be horrific to say I actually didn't really like the Lion King 2 that much? I mean I do notice it tries a fair bit more than some of the other earlier DTV range, but it invented plot and characters connected to the original out of nowhere, and I think a lot of the characters from the first suffered and act rather cringeworthy (e.g. turning Simba into the harsh control freak dad for the sake of cliche rebel Kiara's limelight, and Timon and Pumbaa's comic relief having been badly wore down).

The Jungle Book 2 was also pretty poor to me, just an clunkier more forgettable rehash of the first film. Almost anything that didn't bore me made me cringe. Out of all the DTVs that got promoted to theatrical, they could have chosen a better one.

#23 ToonReel, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  4. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

Simba's being harsh was reasonable. For one, he was just being protective of his daughter, which is something most dads do in real life, and two, the Lion she was falling for was part of a pride that was loyal to Scar. So of course Simba was gonna be distrustful of him since the pride could be up to something, which they were since Kovu was set as an assassin to kill Simba.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

I agree with Light Lucario regarding The Good Dinosaur. Comparing it to The Lion King doesn't seem quite right, otherwise we should start comparing every post-94 movie where a parent's death affects the main character to TLK. By that logic, I'm just going to criticize Lion King as a straight Bambi rip-off. (See, it goes both ways.)

My pick for Pixar is Cars 2. It came off as a disappointing vehicle for Mater (no pun intended), when he belongs in the supporting role. I hope Cars 3 will be better, but I have to admit I'm really only going to see it because of Paul Newman's posthumous dialogue. I don't understand all the hate that Brave gets, because Brave is so much better in terms of plot and visuals. It better not be because of the fairytale focus because that will get people smacked.

For Disney, I haven't seen all the canon films yet, but so far the only one I've actually truly disliked was the original Jungle Book. I'll take Robin Hood over it any day. Mowgli is just annoying as a lead, the songs are forgettable, and the supporting cast is dull. With the exception of Kaa, I can't help but laugh at Stalker-Pooh. :D

I excluded sequels and DTVs because most of them are terrible.

6. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that his behavior was also reasonable because of his own trauma. Simba loss his father at a young age and spent years thinking he was responsible for it. Even after finding out that he wasn't, I'd imagine that he'd be protective of his daughter to make sure she wouldn't get into the kind of danger he did. Even the beginning of the sequel pointed that out. He realized that Kira was just like him when he was young and Simba didn't want his daughter to put herself in danger.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. ToonReel

ToonReel Active Member

I dunno, something about execution left him kind of cold and like they'd taken out a lot of his original character. Triton in the Little Mermaid and the Great Prince in Bambi II were better cases of the knight templar father type because it wasn't the only characteristic they had and even then we saw a lot more emotional conflict in them that didn't just feel exposition-y. Despite being assured they were right they very obviously didn't like hurting their child.

To compare I never really felt that with Kiara and Simba's arguing, they always felt more adamant on putting the other in their place all the time, and it got kind of obnoxious (ie. Simba going back on his word and telling Kiara she's a dumb child who doesn't know any better, and Kiara running away for the billionth time).

I think the Lion King II's script as a whole was in 'early draft' state, and they should have had a bit longer to work on stuff like nuances and the background of the villains making more sense. Then it might have actually been a great film.

8. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

Brave didn't really stick out (title didn't help), But I liked it and it's undeserving of so much hate. It was nice seeing Scottish folklore and it would've been great to see some more of it and Irish folklore as well.

9. Draco Dracul

Draco Dracul New Member

For the Disney Animated Canon, my least favorite would be Chicken Little. For Pixar it would be Brave, though I have not seen Cars 2, Cars 3, Monsters University, or The Good Dinosaur and have no plans on seeing any of them.