1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Lake Bell's "In A World" Movie About Voice Over Industry

Discussion in 'The Voice Actors Appreciation Society' started by BonnieB21:-), Aug 7, 2013.

1. BonnieB21:-)

BonnieB21:-) Active Member

[​IMG]

An underachieving vocal coach is motivated by her father, the king of movie-trailer voice-overs, to pursue her aspirations of becoming a voiceover star. Amidst pride, sexism and family dysfunction, she sets out to change the voice of a generation

Lake Bell stars, wrote, and directed "In A World". I just saw her on The View promoting her movie. She makes a very interesting point about why are there only men doing the trailers for movies. I don't know if there are any other famous voice actors in it. I don't see any mention of animation yet either.

Lake Bell's In a World... Asks: Why Aren't Women Hired for Movie Trailer Voice-Overs? - Page 1 - Movies - New York - Village Voice

[video=youtube;BpFNTvA93iY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpFNTvA93iY[/video]

In A World's official tumblr.

In A World

2. Harley

Harley Embarassment Ninja
    Staff Member Administrator

It's a very smart, very funny film. The entire cast was very strong. There were maybe two or three small parts of the story that I thought were a little cheesy or unbelievable, but they're small. They didn't take me out of the film. One of the problems I have with many films I see is that the person or people writing doesn't know how to write for the opposite sex and I didn't see that here. So, kudos to Bell. It would have been nice to see her doing the voice work for some of the other trailers she said she worked on between the temp track and the quadrilogy trailer she was auditioning for. There are feminist themes here, but they are not so overpowering as to turn people who are typically turned off by that sort of thing away. I do have some mixed feelings on the conversation between the executive and Carol.

I would definitely see it again.