1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Kung Fu Panda

Discussion in 'Animation Wiki Discussion' started by MonkeyFunk, Jul 24, 2009.

1. MonkeyFunk

MonkeyFunk Kids and grown-ups love me so

Discussion thread for Kung Fu Panda. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

This article comes under TZWikiProject Oscars

I'm at a bit of a disadvantage here since I... er... haven't actually seen the film. Someone else should probably handle plot synopsis and characters - any takers?

2. MonkeyFunk

Okay, most of the reception section's up. The controversy subsection is for allegations of cultural insensitivity from China and the vote-rigging issue at the Annies. Anyone here feel like handling that?

3. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I can take a crack at both the plot summary and the controversy sections, but probably not until after San Diego. The China thing was about a very small minority of Chinese complaining about it opening in China right after the Sichuan earthquake (and the impact to the panda preserve), followed by a lot of head-scratching to ask, "Why can't we make movies like this?" (Answer: Because you throw people in jail for saying things you don't like, which kind of stifles the creative impulse, dumbasses, but I'm not going to say that in the article.)

There was a fair amount of coverage from Toon Zone News about both, and you could probably cut and paste a reasonable synopsis from Alex Weitzman's review of the movie and mine of the Blu-ray.

4. MonkeyFunk

Added release section (which cribs pretty heavily from Ed's DVD review, hope that's okay).

Where's the accepted source for film credits (aside from the film itself, of course)? Up til now I've generally been falling back on Jerry Beck's movie guide, but that wwas published in 2004 so obviously it's no good here.

5. MonkeyFunk

I added soundtrack info.

By the way, the Wikipedia article claims that Timbaland was involved in the soundtrack. It did provide a source, but the article was written before the film's completion and I couldn't find any other sites mentioning it (besides ones copying from Wikipedia), so I decided not to include that particular tidbit.

6. cartoonscartoons

cartoonscartoons I cant help it, if I'm lucky

I fell asleep during this movie...

7. MonkeyFunk

Any chance you were awake for long enough to remember who was in it? We still need a character section :)

8. MonkeyFunk

Phew. Okay, so I finally got a chance to watch this film and was able to finish off the article. We've managed to get ourselves an article on a major animated release that can measure up to its counterpart at Wikipedia.