"Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness" News & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Bryan, May 16, 2009.

1. Bryan

Bryan TZ Schedules Admin

Nickelodeon to Launch New CG Animated Kung Fu Panda: The Series from DreamWorks Animation SKG

Series Based on Academy Award-Nominated Theatrical Blockbuster Set to Premiere in 2010

BURBANK, Calif., May 14 /PRNewswire/ -- Following a record-breaking ratings premiere of The Penguins of Madagascar, Nickelodeon today announced that it has ordered 26 episodes of its second co-production with DreamWorks Animation SKG, Inc. (Nasdaq: DWA), Kung Fu Panda: The Series -- a new CG animated comedy series adapted from the studio's 2008 blockbuster film. Today's announcement, which strengthens the strategic alliance between two of the world's most prolific producers of television and feature film animation, was made by Brown Johnson, President, Animation for Nickelodeon and MTVN Kids & Family Group.

(Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20090514/NY17075 )

Today's announcement comes just six weeks after Nickelodeon's unprecedented March 28 debut of the hit CG-animated series The Penguins of Madagascar, which ranked as the most-watched series premiere in the network's history, drawing 6.1 total million viewers (P2+). The half-hour premiere also delivered more kids 6-11 than any other Nick animated series premiere, averaging an 11.0/2.3 million K6-11. Since then, The Penguins of Madagascar has already become a top program with kids on all of broadcast and cable television, averaging nearly 13 million kids 2-11 each week and also averaging nearly 28 million total viewers (P2+) every week. The series is currently the #2 program (live action or animated), only behind only SpongeBob SquarePants, with kids 2-11 and 6-11 and is the #2 kid-targeted program (live-action or animated) among total viewers (P2+) on all of broadcast and cable television.*

"Our seamless collaboration with DreamWorks Animation has now reached an anticipated 78 half-hours of unparalleled television CG animation," said Brown. "With the pick-up of Kung Fu Panda: The Series, we are thrilled to be bringing to our audience the rich stories and energy-packed character and action sequences Po the panda delivered on the big screen."

"We are thrilled to extend our ongoing collaboration with Nickelodeon, whose creative expertise in producing hit TV series is second to none," said Ann Daly, Chief Operating Officer of DreamWorks Animation. "The characters and worlds we originally created for Kung Fu Panda are particularly well-suited to be further developed and explored in new and exciting ways."

Kung Fu Panda: The Series, is based on DreamWorks Animation's hit feature film, Kung Fu Panda which has grossed over $630 million at the worldwide box office and became the studio's most successful original feature film ever. Kung Fu Panda garnered an Oscar nomination for Best Animated Feature Film of the Year and a Golden Globe nomination for Best Animated Feature Film.

The series will chronicle the further adventures of Po, the energetic, enthusiastic, always hungry martial arts panda. He is aided by his mentor Shifu and the Furious Five: Tigress, Mantis, Crane, Monkey and Viper. Anointed "Dragon Warrior," Po protects the Valley of Peace from threats of all kind. Kung Fu Panda: The Series will be executive produced by Cheryl Holliday (King of the Hill, Still Standing, Father of the Pride). The show is being produced at the Nickelodeon Animation Studios in Burbank, California, currently the largest producer of television animation in the U.S.

Kung Fu Panda: The Series joins Nickelodeon's successful slate of animated series including pop culture phenomenon and number one ranked SpongeBob SquarePants (coming up on its 10th Anniversary this July), Emmy Award-nominated The Fairly OddParents from animation veteran Butch Hartman, The Mighty B! co-created by and starring actress/comedian Amy Poehler and Back at the Barnyard from the creative mind of box-office chief Steve Oedekerk.

About DreamWorks Animation SKG

DreamWorks Animation is principally devoted to developing and producing computer generated, or CG, animated feature films. With world-class creative talent, a strong and experienced management team and advanced CG filmmaking technology and techniques, DreamWorks Animation makes high quality CG animated films meant for a broad movie-going audience. The Company anticipates releasing its feature films into both conventional and IMAX(R) theatres worldwide. The Company has theatrically released a total of eighteen animated feature films, including Shrek, Shrek 2, Shark Tale, Madagascar, Over the Hedge, Shrek the Third, Bee Movie, Kung Fu Panda, Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa and Monsters vs. Aliens. All of the Company's feature films are now being produced in stereoscopic 3D technology.

About Nickelodeon

Nickelodeon, now in its 30th year, is the number-one entertainment brand for kids. It has built a diverse, global business by putting kids first in everything it does. The company includes television programming and production in the United States and around the world, plus consumer products, online, recreation, books, magazines and feature films. Nickelodeon's U.S. television network is seen in more than 98 million households and has been the number-one-rated basic cable network for 14 consecutive years. Nickelodeon and all related titles, characters and logos are trademarks of Viacom Inc. (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B).

Caution Concerning Forward-Looking Statements

This document includes certain forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. The Company's plans, prospects, strategies, proposals and our beliefs and expectations concerning performance of our current and future releases and anticipated talent, directors and storyline for our upcoming films and other projects, constitute forward-looking statements. These statements are based on current expectations, estimates, forecasts and projections about the industry in which we operate and management's beliefs and assumptions. These statements are not guarantees of future performance and involve risks, uncertainties and assumptions which are difficult to predict. Actual results may vary materially from those expressed or implied by the statements herein due to changes in economic, business, competitive, technological and/or regulatory factors, and other risks and uncertainties affecting the operation of the business of DreamWorks Animation SKG, Inc. These risks and uncertainties include: audience acceptance of our films, our dependence on the success of a limited number of releases each year, the increasing cost of producing and marketing feature films, piracy of motion pictures, the effect of rapid technological change or alternative forms of entertainment and our need to protect our proprietary technology and enhance or develop new technology. In addition, due to the uncertainties and risks involved in the development and production of animated feature projects, the release dates for the projects described in this document may be delayed. For a further list and description of such risks and uncertainties, see the reports filed by us with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including our most recent annual report on Form 10-K and our most recent quarterly reports on Form 10-Q. DreamWorks Animation is under no obligation to, and expressly disclaims any obligation to, update or alter its forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events, changes in assumptions or otherwise.

*Source: NMR, most current data for kids 2-11, kids 6-11 and persons 2+, 3/23/09-5/3/09

SOURCE Nickelodeon

2. The Huntsman

The Huntsman Friend of Toon Zone

Took them long enough. I really liked “Kung Fu Panda” and I’ll definitely be tuning in to this. Whether or not they do a good enough job to keep me tuning in remains to be seen, but if its anywhere near as good as “The Penguins Of Madagascar”, I’ll be happy.

3. Mickialla

Mickialla Suave Incarnate

Meh, I personally think Nick and Dreamworks are just trying to cash in on big movie properties by making series like Penguins of Madagascar and this. There not bad per say, but IMO, their far from good or quality. What happened to original ideas and original cartoons that were meant to make people laugh, not to reuse ideas just to make money. Well, as long as Nick still creates original cartoons as well as these, I'm fine.

4. rainstorm46

rainstorm46 New Member

I never saw the movie Kung Fu panda. I am not sure what to say about nick keep making Nicktoons out of movies. I heard this movie was good but it is different that they are making Nicktoons out of movies alot now.

5. ManeFested

ManeFested Master Of All 4 Elements

I was wondering what was taking them so long. But I'm starting to think this is rediculous. Nick needs to go back to the old days when they were creative and thought of their own shows, not just ripped off movies. Next will be Shrek the series and Monsters the series (Monsters vs. Aliens)

6. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Active Member

Wasn't a Kung Fu Panda series announced like before it came out to theaters? I don't really like the direction this is heading with all of these spin-offs of movies.

7. Mickialla

Mickialla Suave Incarnate

Nick really is just trying to cash in on successful properties. What with the Iron Man and Wolverine shows clearly feeding on the popularity of the recent movies, and now Nick is taking full advantage of their relationship with Dreamworks. It reminds me a lot of what was happening in the 80's. There were barrel fulls of cartoons based on licensed properties, probably much more than there were original cartoons that were meant to be quality entertainment. Nick doesn't even care about originality in their cartoons anymore, IMO. If Spongebob wasn't such a well established cash cow, they wouldn't be feeding on its success the way they currently are. If Spongebob premiered this year and got decent ratings, Nick probably wouldn't even care for it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2009
  8. Master Toon

Master Toon New Member

I was going to say "didn't we already know about this?" but the last time I did that a mod got on my case about how we don't know anything until it's official. So I'll pretend like this is something I just found out about.

Oh my gosh! This is a complete and utter surprise! I had no idea that Nick would make a series out of Kung Fu Panda! :eek:

I doubt it'll be as good as Penguins.

9. The Huntsman

The Huntsman Friend of Toon Zone

Does it really matter if an animated program is original or not? It seems to me that all that matters is whether or not it is any good. Disney turned a lot of their movies into animated programs and plenty of people enjoy them, so I hardly think it’s the end of the world for Nickelodeon to do this.

10. Robochao

Robochao New Member

I don't know what to say about how this is gonna be..

But.

The Penguins of Madagascar is a good show. The voices, story, and writing are priceless. The creators of Kim Possible are the writers so it's bound to be funny.

But here's a problem.

The show is sent to a cheap 3d animation studio in Korea, and comes back stiff and bland almost like Family Guy. They snap from pose to pose with no frames between and makes it look like it was rushed.(It probably was, so Nick could get some quick cash fast.)

The storyboards are a sad waste of effort because of this, and it leads me to believe that the show would fly a whole lot better it was animated 2d.

11. CatChancey

CatChancey New Member

Especially because they've already done KFP in 2D for the intro, credits, and bonus film, and it looked lovely. 3D animation is a problem for most TV shows because it so easily looks like complete garbage.

12. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Nerd Life

Well, we've had this discussion before, but 3D and CGI, not the same thing. 3D is a perspective, not an animation style. The problem with CG animation is that good CGI is expensive to make, and for most TV shows, the CG animation is too expensive to keep producing if no one is going to watch.

Anyways, regarding Kung-Fu Panda, one of my chief concerns would be the voices, since we know that Nick won't be able to employ the likes of Jack Black, Angelina Jolie, Seth Rogan and Dustin Hoffman. I would hope that the new voice actors at least sound enough like the movie actors to do the series justice.

13. Bryan

Bryan TZ Schedules Admin

I don't know about that... Jack Black has a good relationship with Nick. He also has hosted two KCA's in the past (2006/2008).

Also, in regard to an earlier comment, we have know about the possibility of a Kung Fu Panda series years ago (2005 or 06 maybe). That was just "talk", this press release from Nickelodeon confirms their plans of creating the series... that's all.

14. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

As I've said before, they can make a TV series, they can make a film series, but they shouldn't do both.
    Especially since one will decide the success of the other and waste money.

Anyhoo, I hope the series is good and mixes humor and action well. Who knows, maybe they'll end up doing story arcs and be a great action cartoon.

15. Jacob

Jacob Moderator

The three Nicktoons that were spinoffs of movies (Jimmy Neutron, Back at the Barnyard, The Penguins of Madagascar) have all done extremely well. Kung Fu Panda will probably do well too.

16. ManeFested

ManeFested Master Of All 4 Elements

So will Kung Fu Panda knock Barnyard out of the Nick lineup? Its basically non-existant now anyways

17. Bryan

Bryan TZ Schedules Admin

Not true. It airs weekends at 10:30am, Tues & Thu from 6:30-8:30am and various times from 3-4pm on weekdays. Plus, next week we are getting 5 new episodes Mon-Fri at 5pm.

Now, The Mighty B! is a different story (though new eps are finally scheduled to come in June).

18. Silverstar

Silverstar Game On!

I agree. Unless the series is going to be done in place of the film sequels, this just reeks of overkill.

19. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

Well, to be fair, Nick already had a Jimmy Neutron and a Barnyard cartoon in the works before the movie came out.
    And the same thing was done for Tak and the Power of Juju.

20. Jacob

Jacob Moderator

I thought Tak was based on a video game.