1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Kindergarten Cop II is Coming. For Reals.

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by SB20xx, Feb 16, 2016.

1. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Nothing can prepare you.

2. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Dolph Lundgren still does stuff?!?!?!?!!?

3. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Oh yeah man Dolph is actually really popular... in direct to video movies. Yeah the guy's career in terms of theater movies in the last 20 years may of only consisted in appearances in the Expandables and the briefest of cameos in Hail, Caesar! but Dolph has been releasing loads of films straight to video. Or you know DVD/Blue Ray nowadays. Which obviously this is another one of those. Part of me would find it weird how studios are still making these pathetic corporate cash in DTV flicks of classic 80's and 90's comedies like Christmas Story 2 and Jingle All The Way 2 and this (among others) when they never do well and get massive crticial and fan pandering but... not only are they cheap but we live in the age of Nostalgia overdose where anything old is tossed to the wall to see if it can be new and successful again. Even including Kindergraden Cop. Man wonder if this will be something brought up if Schwarzenegger comes back for Expendables 4 (Lundgren is already obviously in it but more well still relevent stars are still more a question) and the two shoot a scene together. That would be awkward... hilarious (more so likely then the sequel) but still awkward.

4. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

There's an Expendables 4?! D'oh!

Same to this!

5. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

Looks more like a reboot than a sequel.

6. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Fun facts I actually went to the school in Kindergarten Cop (well at least the exterior of said school) for two years.

...that's all I got to say about that movie. Goonies was better.

7. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Ahnold made that movie.

8. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I enjoy seeing Dolph still working. Always makes me smile :)

9. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

So, uh, as someone who likes the original...

That trailer was kinda painful. No wonder it's not getting a theatrical release (then again, if Zoolander 2 could get one...)

10. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

It was free on Netflix so I watched it out of morbid curiosity.

One of the big themes in this movie was how the kids that Zach (Dolph Lundgren) taught are too sensitive - unlike the first film's public school, the school here is an expensive private institution - and that they need to toughen up. Which is ironic, since the movie itself is a LOT softer than the first movie. The original Kindergarten Cop actually had quite a bit of an edge to it, with a villain that was truly a sick guy. The villains in this movie, by contrast, are not nearly as menacing or memorable, posing no real threat and being generic Eastern European/Russian goons.

Dolph isn't as charismatic as Arnold in the first film, and doesn't have any chemistry with the kids. Similarly, the principal here doesn't hold a CANDLE to Linda Hunt.

There are elements that are flat-out repeats from the first film (the abusive father; the montage of kids saying adult things they don't understand; the fellow teacher as a love interest), although to be fair there are some new things: A montage where Zach's partner feeds him information on how to be a better teacher through his earpiece, and the computer teacher who's a film/TV geek and wants to be Zach's friend, or a dancing scene (yes, really). But there still is quite a bit of deja vu here.

...Yeah, it's not a very good film. It's far from the worst I've ever seen, but it was a completely unnecessary sequel.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #10 SB20xx, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  11. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Oh dear. I was browsing Netflix and guess what I discovered?

Cop and a Half: New Recruit.

At least Kindergarten Cop was a successful film- what logic is there in making a sequel to a movie nobody* liked the first time?

* (save for Roger Ebert)