1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Kids'WB! Today

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by James Harvey, Jun 23, 2001.

1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

First off, the second season premiere of CARDCAPTORS was...the original first episode? Today's episode features how Sakura got her staff, how the cards got loose, etc...They really are airing this serie soutta order.

Second, MIB was great. The worms are still annoying and that Frank subplot was weird, but the episode was great. Can't wait for part 2.

2. Leaping Larry Jojo

Leaping Larry Jojo Searching for a map

3. James Harvey

So, who does she live with? I'll admit I dozed off during this episode this morning becuase of my long night beforehand.

4. Leaping Larry Jojo

That's okay. Most of the Card Captor Sakura episodes aren't mindblowing anyway. Only when they had the supporting character Mei-Lin there was it actually entertaining (In my opinion)

She lives with her father and brother. It's a shame that they always skip over the bits concerning her mother, though. They would have had some real emotion there, since her mother died at a very young age (in her 20s) when Sakura was but a baby. They had many episodes devoted to her mother's past, but they have skipped all of them so far.

5. DR. BELCH

DR. BELCH Member

CCS and MIB

Agreed. I mean, they irk me, and a lot of season 4 scripts use them too heavily as compared to season 1. Also, in one episode it's mentioned that worms die at subzero temperatures, which is why the Emporer Worm couldn't be iced with the bugs in the hotel, yet in another the coffee worms were frozen solid with no ill effect. Another incongruity for the P.P.P.G.A.L.F.'ers to nosh on....
    As for Frank...well, I'm just surprised that woman can't tell the difference between a male and a female dog. True, she was standing at a distance...but a dog who has just given birth has, shall we say, very telltale signs of it, which I can't say in mixed company (but if you ponder it a moment youi'll catch my drift!).

Again, I agree. That's when the animosity between Li and Sakura started to turn into something diferent...and ironically by fussing about it Mei-Lin served only to deepen it. What can I say, I love a good love triangle....

KWB doesn't have the cojones to discuss natural death on Saturday morning. When a character loses a parent it's always through divorce or a violent act (cf. Static Shock's Virgil). I'm presuming it was natural...what did kill Mrs. Avalon? And of course they downplay the Sapphic angle of Madison and Sakura (though there was that little hug in the water card ep, and the mike-melting way the actress reads her lines).

6. Sharklady

Sharklady Active Member

> ...but a dog who has just given birth has, shall we say, very telltale signs of it, which I can't say in mixed company (but if you ponder it a moment youi'll catch my drift!). <

But those puppies obviously hadn't *just* been born. Their eyes were open and they were eating Frank's dogfood.
    A mother of pups old enough to be weaned wouldn't still be sporting those 'telltale signs' (something I know about, having spent part of my growing years on a farm.)

7. DR. BELCH

DR. BELCH Member

Dog gone it

True--they had to be at least four weeks old. They made the same error in The Simpsons when Santa's Little Helper fathered 25 children in one litter--the pups were clean and had open eyes. Now that I tried to let go, since on TV they seldom show newborn hew-mons realistically, either.
    It depends on the dog, really. Often a pudgy young female dog+little physical exercise=a heavy mother. A female Lab I had for a number of years never lost her baby weight--it spread to her hips and butt--and, after bearing subsequent litters, came to resemble a cow in her later years.

#7 DR. BELCH, Jun 24, 2001
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2001
  8. RockItShipper

RockItShipper Master of Flying Guillotine

Re: CCS and MIB

Not quite sure. Here's what I know: Nadeisco(sp?) was very good friends with her cousin. But not as much as her cousin, who wound up mothering "Madison", wanted. Nadeisco was exceptionally clumsy, which was how she met her future husband. Fell out of a tree and right into the young teacher's arms. He made some comment about how an angel fell from the sky, blah, blah, blah... "Madison's" mom later mentions to Sakura that his complete lack of flaws is why she never had a chance and why she's so bitter about the whole thing. Anyway, Nadeisco took up modelling and had two children with her one-time teacher before dying. But she's not completely gone. In one episode, Sakura leaves a birthday present by her mother's picture before leaving for school. And then a very slightly surprised Touya (Sakura's big bro) sees mom's ghost floating around. "I was a little worried about her, but it seems she's alright now", or words to that effect, come from the ghost and Touya's miniscule surprise vanishes.

9. Leaping Larry Jojo

Re: Re: CCS and MIB

By the way, the next episode, titled "Under the Weather" (?) is widely presumed to be episode 39 in the original Japanese, which supposedly has a reference to Nadeshiko. Or she appears in ghost form. I forgot; it's been a while since I saw it. Let's see how the WB version handles it.

Concerning Sakura's mother's death, I would assume it to be similar to Tenchi's mother's death in that the causes may be related to the child having magical powers, which seems to be a common pattern in anime. (Has Toonami aired Tenchi Muyo in Love yet? It's a _Back to the Future_ style feature film where Tenchi and pals go back in time to when his mother was still alive in the 1970s)

#9 Leaping Larry Jojo, Jun 25, 2001
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2001
  10. RockItShipper

RockItShipper Master of Flying Guillotine

Re: Re: Re: CCS and MIB

Well, that may be part of it. Not to get into too much on the spoiler end of things but there's magic on "Mr. Avalon's" side of the family so to speak.

11. James Harvey

So it's possible they may delve a bit into Sakura's Mom's death? I think they should. I'd like to have somewhat of an explaination.

12. Leaping Larry Jojo

Re: Re: Re: Re: CCS and MIB

Well, since I've already seen the whole 70 episode series a few months back, you wouldn't really be spoiling stuff for me, just jogging my memory. I honestly can't remember much of the show except for the fates of the characters. I guess it would be inappropriate to post it in public here, though...

Anyway, it seems in anime, magic is seen as dangerous to a normal human's system....;)

Though in Tenchi's case, it was the reverse. His mom was the one who had...whoops!

13. DR. BELCH

DR. BELCH Member

Sakura's mother

In "Mei-Lin's Story", Sakura admits she can be clumsy at times. I guess she inherited her mother's natural dexterity as well as her father's magic....
    Now the query is, why did Sakura get the mutant gene (so to speak) and not her brother? From a biological standpoint I'd presume it's like blonde hair or blue eyes, a recessive gene that shows up infrequently...or, to get a little darker, magic can be seen as an inherited disease like hemophilia or sickle-cell anemia (which would explain Mrs. Mysaki's death). Now whether this means Sakura is fated to die young or give birth to mutant children remains to be seen.
    Nadiesco's death may be rendered in the dub as a congenital heart defect or maybe cancer...which is probably as good an explanation as any. I just hope they don't go the cheap route and have her shot or bludgeoned to death by thugs.

14. Leaping Larry Jojo

Re: Sakura's mother

Now that I saw some previews for this weekend's shows, I'm almost fairly sure :confused: that the episode airing this weekend *should* touch upon Nadeshiko, if not have her make a (somewhat) of an appearance. That is, if the episode is aired fairly intact and not given the 'hack and edit flashbacks' treatment.

By the way, Sakura's brother sometimes sees ghosts. That's all I'll say about that.