Kids cartoons based on live action films

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by classiccartoon, Nov 4, 2013.

1. classiccartoon

classiccartoon New Member

Hi everbody,

I was wondering what was thte last cartoon to be made that was based off a live action film? Do they still make kids cartoons based on live action films?

2. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!

I think the latest cartoon based off a live action movie would be "Black Dynamite" but that wouldn't be a kids cartoon.

Unless someone has something more recent, Star Wars: Clone Wars would probably be that latest kids series. And there will be a new Star Wars series coming soon.
    Then there was "Transformers Prime." Even though there have been other Transformers series, Prime had influences from the movies.

I'm not too worried that there aren't many cartoons based on live action movies since there are so many animated movies that would translate to television better.

3. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

I'm probably wrong about this, but the last one I remember was The Mummy: The Animated Series from 2001-2003.

4. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

I believe Tron: Uprising was the last live action film to get turned into a children's series.

5. kid rabbit

kid rabbit Active Member

the real ghostbusters cartoon is a classic

6. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

Oh, of course! How could I forget?

7. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

Transformers Prime doesn't really have anything to do with the Bay movies, which is part of the reason it ended.

8. SF4Ever

SF4Ever New Member

I can think of plenty- Men In Black: The Series from the late 90's, based on the feature film series of the same name with Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith. Also from the 90's, there was the short-lived Dumb & Dumber, based on the off-beat feature film of the same name. Free Willy, based on the 1993 feature film from Warner Bros.- I do recall ABC scheduling it, opposite Disney's Aladdin on CBS on Saturday mornings, back in 1994. From the 1980's, Ruby-Spears produced Rambo & the Forces of Freedom, based on the Sylvester Stallone movie series about the Vietnam Vet that took on the terrorists, but R-S toned down its animated version to make it viewer friendly and more on the same wavelength of the ever popular G.I. Joe series. Back to the beginning of the 90's, CBS aired Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventures, based on the MGM movies of the same name, also the animated version of Back to the Future, based on the Michael J. Fox/Christopher Lloyd movie series of the same name. There's so much more, but I'll turn the floor back over to you posters.

9. stephane dumas

stephane dumas Active Member

There was also a Police Academy cartoon, released around 1988-89 in syndication based on the Police Academy movies alhought by the time it aired, Steve Guttenberg (Mahoney) and Bobcat Goldhwaith(Zed) wasn't part of PA anymore.

Wasn't also a Robocop cartoon who once aired?

10. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Nerd Life

Yes, Robocop had an animated series.

And I remember Police Academy: The Series. The Zed in the cartoon neither looked nor sounded anything like Bobcat Golthwait, but as I would learn later on, the producers most likely didn't want the cartoon characters to resemble their live action counterparts too closely so that they wouldn't have to pay the movie actors royalties.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2013
  11. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Let's mash it up!

The first series that came to my mind was that Beetlejuice cartoon from the early 90s.

12. SF4Ever

SF4Ever New Member

Oh yes, I remember Police Academy: The Series- Ruby-Spears produced it for Warner Bros. Television, back in 1988. I also remember Robocop- there were also live-action TV series spinoffs to both shows, too. Let's also remember, the Ruby-Spears' Police Academy series used primarily Canadian voice-over talent with the exception of Howard Morris.

13. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

I loved how there were so many cartoons based on R-rated properties.

14. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

The OP never stated he was unaware of the existence of these types of shows. He was wondering if it was still a common practice in recent times. Shows that are 20+ years old aren't exactly current.

15. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Active Member

Tron Uprising is the only current one I can think of. They definitely dwindled in numbers once creator driven shows came back.

16. Alonso Torrejon

Alonso Torrejon Member

Beetlejuice was the best film-based cartoon I've ever seen. I remember seeing it on Nick when it was great.

17. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

I think that Tron: Uprising is the most recent cartoon series to be based off of a live action film. I think it was more common place in the 80s and 90s than it is now. There are more animated movies to make an easier transition from movie into TV series and there might be more complaints from parents if PG-13 or more likely R-rated films had cartoon series aimed at kids than when they were more common place.

18. SF4Ever

SF4Ever New Member

Disney, unfortunately, wasted a golden opportunity with Tron: Uprising- 2 years ago, I spoke about what things would be like if Disney Channel slotted Tron: Uprising opposite Cartoon Network's highly rated Star Wars: The Clone Wars, in order to bring back to Saturday mornings what's been missing, TV program competition for viewers. At the same time, it would've helped Disney Channel to succeed the late ABC Kids as a major animation programmer on Saturday mornings. BTW, for all of those animated programs, based on live-action PG-13 or R-rated films, there was a good reason to tone them down- to make those programs viewer friendly, while in compliance with the syndicators/network's Standards & Practices policies. It's a real shame that people didn't realize that.