1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Kennedy and the Ups & Downs of Silver Age Animation

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by SB20xx, Jul 13, 2003.

1. takineko

takineko I can do that with a pancake!

[​IMG]

Nice toes Yakko!

2. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Case in point: M-7.

3. Cartoonzrule

Cartoonzrule Member

To Jon: What ever happened with that show?

4. Jonny Mack

Jonny Mack Member

We were very good at making cartoons ... but we apparently weren't very good at selling them!

To answer your question, nothing happened with M7.

5. Cartoonzrule

Cartoonzrule Member

I just realized, why hasn't anyone been talking about Glen's and Jon's work on The Jetson movie?
    [​IMG]

6. Super Sonic

Super Sonic Fastest Thing Alive

Have you read the interview Martianinvader made with Jon, by any chance? :sweat:

7. Cartoonzrule

Cartoonzrule Member

Yeah.

8. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

I haven't seen The Jetsons Movie since it debuted in 1990, so I couldn't really discuss anything I don't remember. But I would imagine that since it's a feature film, it's more refined and uniform so that no individual animators' styles stand out (unless the scene specifically calls for it, like a wild take). But am I wrong? Do Glen's and Jon's styles stand out in particular scenes?

9. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

There are a couple of scenes towards the beginning (particularly Astro licking George goodbye for work) that have the "look" people associate with Pup Named Scooby Doo and the Kennedy Tiny Toons episodes (fluid and cartoony, but in an almost gelatinous way). Those could be Glen Kennedy's work.

David Feiss gets an animation credit, but nothing in the Jetsons movie resembles the look of Ren and Stimpy or Cow and Chicken (tragic, too)

10. wiley207

wiley207 Well-Known Member

On the subject of Kennedy Cartoons's dancing animations, here is a video I made a while back of much of the third act of "Gang Busters" set to Michael Jackson's "Beat It." I have to admit I think the song fit well with the setting and tone of the episode. I also tossed in a couple of "Buster and the Wolverine" clips for variety (only ones that matched with the music/tone!)

NOTE: It's in WMV format, so if you use a Mac or Linux, you may want to download VLC Media Player, or Windows Media Player for Mac (if you will be watching this on Mac OS X). Just a heads-up, since I didn't want to upload this to YouTube (and avoid getting suspended cause of it).

http://www.freewebs.com/wilee2005/Documents/Tiny Toons beat it.wmv

I wonder what Glen Kennedy's animation of the Moonwalk would've looked like? :anime:

Anyways like I've said, I think this ("Gang Busters") is one of the better Kennedy Cartoons-animated episodes. Even though Buster, Babs and Montana Max look rather weird at some parts, the others look OK, and the zany dancing cycles actually fit perfectly here because they're dancing for a reason!

11. wiley207

I think I saw a brief dance cycle on "High Toon," but it was a bit slower than the early uses. And I saw a couple of them on "The Looney Beginning," but VERY brief.

Besides, at least nobody on TTA was twirling his or her paws in the air while dancing, like Scooby-Doo did:
    [​IMG]
    But then again, I have to admit I LOVE Glen Kennedy's dancing cycles, but only when used on "A Pup Named Scooby-Doo" (cause they only dance when they are supposed to, during the musical chase sequences), and the TTA episode "Gang Busters" (again, they dance for a reason cause of the third act being full of music and "old school" rapping). I actually performed several of those dance cycles at a Halloween party I attended at my college. Quite a few people were actually impressed seeing Disney's Big Bad Wolf dance in the "Pup Named Scooby-Doo" fashion ;)

12. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Sort of on-topic, but I just discovered that Harold Duckett (one of the Kennedy animators on Tiny Toons) died last month. He was 51.

13. egfelixdcg

egfelixdcg Member

That's sad. Another person who died quite young :(

14. wiley207

15. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Not to sound rude here, but why does it matter what I think? No offense, but you make it sound like all I do is talk about Kennedy Cartoons, that I'm obsessed with it. I bring it up every now and then when it relates to Silver Age discussion, but it's not all I talk about. I'm not PCFamicom64 here. :sweat:

16. wiley207

I know that, I just wanted to also see if you noticed my Wang Film Productions joke, which I never wouldn't noticed in "The Looney Beginning" until I read your review on the episode. I know you're practically an expert on overseas animation studios (not just for Silver Age WB, but for "Ren & Stimpy," "The Simpsons," Disney's shows and others), and on the APM production music, among other things. It all comes from knowing you well from this forum, the GAC forum and the Spumboard forum (small world, isn't it? :D )

17. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Yup, I saw that in your YTP. And it's not the only episode that Wang fills in for Kennedy, either. ;)

18. wiley207

That's right. They did so in "High Toon" for one brief scene. And I could've sworn that one brief sequence in "New Character Day" was animated by Wang. I'm assuming with that one, Kennedy was the main animation studio, and Wang did the ink-and-paint/camera, like they did with many later Kennedy episodes.

This was also sort of the case with the first season of "A Pup Named Scooby-Doo," but Wang was the main overseas studio for that one, and Glen Kennedy was the animation director there and he animated many scenes (mostly anything that needed to be super-cartoony). To me, Glen Kennedy's work seems to look better on "A Pup Named Scooby-Doo," maybe because you expect the style to show up there, and at times they'd be more in control (his animation looked even better than in "Hare Today, Gone Tomorrow!") In some instances there would be a scene that I would think was drawn by a different Taiwanese animator until they give the "confused 'o' mouth" look or kinda move up a bit when surprised! The same story applied to the "Hagar the Horrible" TV special H-B did in 1989. Wang did the overseas animation, and Glen Kennedy was the overseas animation director. So you'd have Hagar dancing in the "Pup Named Scooby-Doo" fashion! :p

But it seems the "thick sketchy lines" Wang often utilized in their early Tiny Toons episodes also carried over to the "Ren & Stimpy" episodes they animated in 1994.

19. Robochao

Robochao Member

I read recently that sorta in the Games Animation era of Ren and Stimpy that they experimented with some different animation studios besides Rough Draft Korea.

I believe Wang Film picked up "Lair of The Lummox" and animated little bits and pieces.

20. wiley207

They sure did. Wang also animated "It's a Dog's Life" and "Egg Yolkeo."
    But I always wondered what it would've looked like if John K. decided to hire Glen Kennedy to be an animator on Ren & Stimpy. This could come in handy when Bob Jacques and Kelly Armstrong would be tied up with other things. Here's a little doodle I did of a Kennedy version of Stimpy:
    [​IMG]
    Looks better than what Games did, IMO.

Anyways, back on topic. I have noticed in the TMS-animated episode "The Wide World of Elmyra" in the segment with Tyrone Turtle, when he's running around on the street to avoid becoming roadkill, his legs are drawn in that squabbling fashion where the legs are a blur and his feet are little circles. That seems to be a common anime trait when characters are panicked. A few other early Tiny Toons episodes animated by TMS do have some anime-like movements and styling to them. And in "Sir Yaksalot," an early Animaniacs episode animated by TMS, near the end when that comedy club explodes, it does so in a very anime-esque manner (the yellow beams shooting out through cracks in the building for a second before the huge blast). Any other anime-ish traits/gimmicks others know about in these Japanese-animated Tiny Toons and Animaniacs episodes?