1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Kennedy and the Ups & Downs of Silver Age Animation

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by SB20xx, Jul 13, 2003.

1. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I managed to wake up at 8 AM this morning to catch both Tiny Toons on Nick West; "Gang Busters" and "Toon Physics" were on. Well, I taped it and viewed some of the parts from "Gang Busters" in slow motion (no perv jokes, please). It's amazing how horribly awful many of the Kennedy movements are; for a perfect example, check out any time a character rushes off screen; their body takes up half the screen and their eyeball grows to gigantic proportions, with sloppy coloring to boot! Here's a pic of Montana Max: [​IMG]
    It's really quite revealing, and a testament to how bad Kennedy can be at times. After the incessant bounce and stretch job that "Gang Busters" was, I marveled at the quality that Akom brought to "Toon Physics", even if the episode itself was just average. Anybody have a screen grab of Kennedy at their worst?

#1 SB20xx, Jul 13, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2005
  2. UmmYeahOk

UmmYeahOk l33t haxx0r Narf!

Gang Busters is actually my favorite episode. And even though Kennedy is indeed sloppy compared to Startoons animations, its pretty good concidering that it was the first season and 21st episode. Own the first season of Simpsons? That's sloppy. But thats just cuz we're comparing these seasons to newer ones.

I love Gang Busters the best because being the dawn of the 90s they show todays viewers what the american culture was like back then. The Bunny's Hip Hoppin' was actually considered rap back in its day. And compared with others during that time, pretty good rap. This rap style occured right when it split into modern hip-hop and todays gangsta rap, which Montana Max showed viewers. Another cool bit-fashion. Every character dressed in outfits that at the time were consider "rad." I of course was too young to walk around elementary school in that get up, but the fashions were all over tv, especially with Nick and MTV. Clothes that hung, giant jewly, bizarre hats, and bright neon colors, that was what was in.

[​IMG]

3. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Yes, I happen to enjoy Gang Busters as well, even if the animation is pretty sloppy at times. You wouldn't happen to have a screencap of somebody running off-screen, would ya? It's really messy.

4. UmmYeahOk

[​IMG]

Yeah, they're known for their stretchy characters. I can only tell their animation apart from others by how stretchy their mouths can be.

5. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Thanks! That's just what I was wanting to post myself.

6. Lonestarr

Lonestarr Stop eating my sesame cake!
    Staff Member Moderator

Yikes!

That is awful.

Personally, animation notwithstanding, I find "Gang Busters" to be an uneven episode. The parts that I just love are the trial and the entire second act. Some of the highlights:

- the 'hole' sequence (one of the funniest moments in TTA history, IMO)
    - digging through the various places ("See if I stand in line for your sequel.")
    - the judge delivering his verdict

7. UmmYeahOk

For me I think my favorite part were the change in outfits for all characters, and the parts with the "modern" music, words and without. Most cartoons fail at the music and make it rather dopey to watch. A good example of this is Hampton's Charleston and Disco Inferno. But that was the hole idea for those song segments, to make Hampton look lame. The one thing about having Hampton do the Charleston is the fact that it was a poplar song and dance of the 20s, and a lot of Looney Tune characters sung it. Yes I know they weren't 20's cartoons. But the older a song is, the easier it is get permission to use it. Which is why a lot of looney tunes cartoons also had well-known classical music as their background music. Hopefully in 2010 cartoons wont be jamming to the Macarena. Basically for me, I saw this episode as another tiny toons music video.

As for "see if I stand in line to see your sequel"... ...Batman got his. Right before the final rap that forces Max to confess, theres a music piece that shows what Acme Acres is like being that Busters suposively in jail, and Max's gang is on the loose. Max spray paints backwards dollar signs everywhere.... ...even on Batman's cape.

8. Conekiller

Conekiller On the Cruise!

I usually don't post in this board, but being linked here from the General board I found a subject upon whcih I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed.

What was this style called (kennedy?)

I seem to remeber at least one more ep that had animation like this, the Peter and the Wolf parody.

The characterisitc of this style also had the characters' feet dance around alot for no apparent reason and their legs seemed overly stubby with puffy feet.

I recall an episode of Darkwing Duk that had this style as well.

9. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

In somewhat of a response to Conekiller:
    The 17 Tiny Toons Kennedy episodes:
    -Hare Today, Gone Tomorrow
    -High Toon
    -Buster and the Wolverine
    -You Asked For It Part 2
    -You Asked For It Again
    -The ACME Home Shopping Show
    -Gang Busters
    -The ACME Bowl
    -Son of Wacko World of Sports
    -Who Bopped Bugs Bunny?
    -How Sweetie it Is
    -Pollution Solution
    -The Looney Beginning
    -Fields of Honey
    -Inside Plucky Duck
    -Best O' Plucky Duck Day
    -Son of Looniversity Daze

Outside of Warner Bros., Kennedy Cartoons Inc. did animation for 6 Darkwing Duck episodes:
    -Darkwing Doubloon
    -Up, Up, and Awry
    -Dry Hard
    -Water Way to Go
    -Jurassic Jumble
    -Whiffle While You Work

9 (might be more) for Goof Troop: -Educating Goofy
    -Tub Be or Not Tub Be
    -Queasy Rider
    -Talent to the Max
    -Clan of the Cave Goof
    -Cabana Fever
    -Cat's Entertainment
    -Hallow-Weenies
    -Maximum Insecurity

8 (might be more) for Bonkers: -Out of Sight, Out of Toon
    -Once in a Blue Toon
    -Tune Pig
    -Miracle at the 34th Precinct
    -The Final Review
    -Goldijitters and the Three Bonkers (a compilation episode)
    -Frame that Toon
    -Fall-Apart Land

12 for Aladdin: -The Lost City of the Sun
    -Smolder & Wiser
    -Much Abu About Something
    -The Game
    -Stinkerbelle
    -Poor Iago
    -Mission: Imp Possible
    -Night of the Living Mud
    -Sandswitch
    -Eye of the Beholder
    -As the Netherworld Turns
    -The Way We War

It's my opinion that Kennedy looked and moved better when they were hired by Disney, but I'd still take Walt Disney Television Australia over Kennedy anyday.

#9 SB20xx, Oct 1, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2004
  10. Sprocket

Sprocket Problematic.

Didn't Kennedy also animate a number of "A Pup named Scooby Doo" episodes?

I always wondered what studio did that animation. Blech. I always hated it. So constantly unfunny and spastic.

11. TServo2049

TServo2049 THE WORLD'S GREATEST DETECTIVE

Yes, Kennedy did animate many episodes of the show, IIRC. The style looks almost identical!

12. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Well actually, A Pup Named Scooby Doo was done by Wang/Cuckoo's Nest, but Glen Kennedy (the man responsible for a majority of the bounce & stretch stuff) was an animation supervisor. This is why you'll see a perfectly normal scene and the next scene will be the trademark Kennedy sloppiness. You're right, it's completely uneven.

13. SilverKnight

SilverKnight Sigh.

Well, how about that. I actually liked his animation style. It felt very...bouncy. Not sure how else I could explain it. >shrugs< One man's trash and all that.

14. PeppeRaskell1

PeppeRaskell1 Peanutized!!!

Funny you should mention the "stretchy" parts. I just happened to remember the "Hop-two-three, jump-two-three, run-two-three, tongue-two-three" routine from a TTA ep where Babs is trying to rescue Buster from Elmyra, who's keeping him as a pet against his will (ep title escapes me right now).

Did they animate this one as well?

15. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Yep, that was from the episode "Hare Today, Gone Tomorrow"- my pick for the worst animated episode of Tiny Toons.

16. Lonestarr

Lonestarr Stop eating my sesame cake!
    Staff Member Moderator

Actually...

It was "hop-two-three, bop-two-three, run-two-three, tongue-two-three". The animation was pretty bad, particularly in that sequence; it's like Elmyra was just floating in the air as she did that routine.

I caught the show a couple weeks ago. Kennedy did the episode ("Best O' Plucky Duck Day") and. within the first few moments, you can tell it was them. Now, as a little kid, it doesn't really matter how the animation looks as long as the show is funny...but as a young man, the poor quality of the animation just leaps out at you.

17. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

Anyone ever get to read the gag credit at the end of "Hare Today, Gone Tomorrow":

Moral of the story: we need more animators.

18. drkfce

drkfce New Member

Error.

We need BETTER animators.

(error with the idea, not the actual quote)

Very funny, nonetheless!

19. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Colossal bump... ah well, that's OK because I was the topic originator. :p Anyway, I FINALLY figured out how to post screenshots, and so here are some from various Kennedy artists:
    [​IMG]
    This is the horrid-looking "skinny limbs" style that is seen every once in a while. This particular screenshot is from You Asked For it, Part 2.
    [​IMG]
    Yes, that is Babs Bunny running off-screen. :eek: From Buster and the Wolverine.
    [​IMG]
    The cigar-chomping style, from Gang Busters.
    [​IMG]
    And to end on a high note, the best Kennedy art style, Jon McClenahan's! :) What a breath of fresh air.

#19 SB20xx, Mar 25, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2005
  20. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

Kennedy did have some wacky moments, but most of the time it reminded me of that Avery/Clampett style of the 1940s in its bounciness. Startoons kinda did the same thing, but with snappier movements and more blocked character designs. Regardless, I still say Tokyo Movie Shinsha did TTA the best, with fluid motion and an anime-ish feel to the whole thing (which only makes sense).