1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs on Twitter and Facebook!
    Go here to Follow Us and RT on TWITTER
    Go here to Like our page and Share the Giveaway Post on FACEBOOK
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

"Justice League: War" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Feb 4, 2014.

?

Rate and Comment on this Movie - "Justice League: War"

1. *****

26.1%
  2. ****1/2

8.7%
  3. ****

13.0%
  4. ***1/2

34.8%
  5. ***

4.3%
  6. **1/2

8.7%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

4.3%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

A time when heroes became legends.

[​IMG]
    Justice League: War
    Studio: Warner Bros. Animation
    Release Date: February 4th, 2014

Synopsis: In Gotham City's shadows lurks a mysterious figure, a silent guardian known only as the Batman. While battling crime and an ever-growing public distrust, he faces the injustices of the night alone. During a criminal pursuit, the Batman crosses paths with the arrogant intergalactic cop Green Lantern, and the unlikely duo uncovers an impending threat bigger and more deadly than anything the Earth has faced before. For the Earth to have a chance to survive, it will b a race to forge an uneasy alliance of its greatest super powers, including the Kryptonian alien, Superman; the Amazonian envoy, Wonder Woman; and the Scarlet Speedster, the Flash. Along with newcomers Cyborg and teen super hero Shazam, this awesome assembly of the world's finest are prepared to meet evil head-on and offer mankind its only hope, if they don't self-destruct first!

Discuss the Justice League: War animated feature!

Please post all discussions concerning about the Justice League: War animated feature in this thread! Discussion on the Blu-ray/DVD/Digital release of Justice League: War can be found in the proper talkback linked below.

Related Threads:
    -Justice League: War Feature Review (Spoilers)
    -Justice League: War Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Justice League: War Soundtrack Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Justice League (2011 Ongoing) Comic Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Justice League: Doom Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Justice League: The New Frontier Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Injustice: Gods Among Us Video Game Talkback (Spoilers)

Note: Remember, this talkback thread is for discussion of the feature film. If you wish to talk about the home video release, please click on the appropriate link above. We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

2. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this movie was pretty cool. The story wasn't that great - a simple (maybe too simple) premise, but it did lead to some great action scenes, which made the movie pretty entertaining. It's basically one action scene after another. In some ways it reminded me of the two previously released Superman/Batman animated movies, which I liked for pretty much the same reasons; good character designs, great fight scenes, but rather weak story-lines.

I liked how most the characters looked in this movie. Don't really have a favorite design, and I was alright with the costume changes made to match their New 52 looks. The voice actors did fine jobs with their respective characters, though at times I thought the dialogue sounded weird - and not only because of the occasional swearing, some lines were just odd. The character interactions could have used some more work though, as well as the way some of the main characters were portrayed here; they were pretty entertaining though some got rather annoying as the movie went along. Most notably, Green Lantern and Wonder Woman - though they also offered some pretty amusing moments at the beginning and end of the movie. Pretty much every hero got at least one good scene to showcase his (or her) powers and abilities, so there was at least some kind of balance in the movie.

What I liked the most about the movie was probably Cyborg - his new, updated origin was great. Though I didn't particularly care for his new design. Also, the neat friendship between him and Billy Batson/Captain Marvel/Shazam, which I thought was presented pretty well, despite it only being brought up briefly. Captain Marvel was also great here, though I was kind of expecting his origin to be revealed here as well, instead of him just transforming in the middle or so of the movie to join the others in their battle. And I thought calling himself Shazam was pretty stupid, though I understand why that change was made. The way these two characters interacted was probably the best, since it felt the most natural as opposed to some of the other characters getting or not getting along scenes, which I thought felt a little forced.

As for the villain... Darkseid looked pretty good though I'm not a fan of him being a giant compared to the heroes. He proved to be a real challenge for the Justice League (even blind, it seemed he was unstoppable), and I liked that. Sure he gets defeated in the end, but he could always come back I guess. It looked to me like the heroes wouldn't have been able to actually stop him using brute force. Darkseid has pretty much always been portrayed as probably the toughest villain in the DC Universe, so this wasn't really a surprise. His voice sounded good as well, though he didn't exactly have that much to say here. As for his army of Parademons - they served their purposes I guess. That is, giving the good guys something to fight so that the movie wouldn't get "boring". Also, I might have missed something but why was that Parademon at the start of the movie wearing a cape like Batman's? Trying to frame Bats for the kidnappings in the city, or something?

I honestly didn't miss Aquaman in the movie, and I'm kind of glad the end credits scene hints that he'll be appearing in the "sequel" - now to wait just another year or so for it. Hopefully it'll be worth the wait. Speaking of end credits scenes... I wonder if there's any chance the one from Superman: Unbound will be revisited again. Probably not, though it could be kind of neat to see Brainiac again.

All in all, Justice League: War is a pretty good movie. It's not a masterpiece but an enjoyable enough adventure, with plenty of action for everyone. I also thought the animation looked pretty great, especially in the often mentioned fight scenes (which take up pretty much the entire movie), which only makes it more entertaining to watch. It's not the best thing to come out of the DC direct-to-DVD animated movie line but it's not terrible either. I'd say it's worth watching.

3. Splinter

Splinter Well-Known Member

Is it me or is that awkward Wonder Woman line "the earth belongs to everyone" cut from the movie. I don't remember hearing it during the movie.

4. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

I read comments like this on other forums. I believe you are correct.

I also read comments that Darkseid's voice in the trailer doesn't match it in the movie.

5. Hero Supreme

Hero Supreme Mr Jinx No More

I will go on record and say that I really liked Wonder Woman's design for this movie, much more so than the Justice League: Origins design. In fact, WW was one of the movie's highlights from her personality, to action scenes.

6. cjeromek

cjeromek Member

I rather enjoyed this movie. I loved that it was basically one giant fight movie. I wouldn't want these all the time but I find them pretty fun. Really loved all the character moments and the music is really well done in this one.

7. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

I would have preferred if they had looked like this

[​IMG]

And that Superman wasn't a word I'm not allowed to type

EDIT: Image credit: Phil Cho

#7 brickrrb2, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2014
  8. cjeromek

cjeromek Member

I agree with both counts. Superman was a bit of an arrogant jerk which while consistent with the storyline is pretty inconsistent with his portrayal in the New52.

9. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

What is it that they don't seem to want to grasp? IT'S SUPERMAN! Nicest Super heroin the universe period. New world New Age Different Generation my rear. If you ask me, Learning from the past would be giving something back to the World

10. cjeromek

cjeromek Member

I agree. It's the reason why still rewatch Superman Vs the Elite. To see that Superman that I love. That nice guy who believes with all his heart in the decency of man.

11. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

Plus they had Superman Kill....AGAIN! In almost the exact same manner

12. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

I'm going to disagree. It's nothing like Man of Steel. Man of Steel was a conscious decision. This movie, it was a case of a guy who's mind and body was tampered with in an experiment, and so there was no decision to kill involved. The only similarities are that they involved the villains' necks, and that they died.

13. cjeromek

cjeromek Member

I'm going to side wit BigFatHairyDeal here. There is clear difference here. What bothered me with death in MoS is that Superman could've found another way. There was ample time (for Superman at least) and opportunity for him to do something else.

14. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

My review of the movie for Toonzone News is live now. Fans are probably going to be mad at me.

I can confirm that Darkseid's voice is different in the movie than the trailer and pre-release materials. The pre-release stuff (and even some of the bonus features) are essentially Steve Blum voicing Darkseid. The movie adds some electronic post-processing to make him even deeper and more resonant, and add a bit of echo and reverb. I thought it was amazing, to the point where someone's finally usurped Michael Ironside as the ultimate Darkseid voice to me. Re-watching "Destroyer" afterwards made him seem so much smaller in comparison.

I do comment on the lethality of not just Superman, but all the superheroes in this movie. I don't think it's right for Superman to do that kind of thing, I definitely don't think Batman should be killing Parademons, and I can't even begin to talk about how fundamentally wrong it is for Shazam to be doing that. I think it's just the movie painting itself into a corner where killing the Parademons is the only sensible thing to do, but that all goes back to my "problems from first principles" comment. In this world they've built up, that's the only sensible thing to do. I don't care for this world they've built up at all.

15. Lord Sidious

Lord Sidious Active Member

Killing mindless monster para demons doesn't count.

Wonder Woman on her first animated origin movie has been killing monsters and Ares too.

Superman has tried to kill and then killed Doomsday on the first animated movie.

As for Darkseid's voice, why bother hiring a high paid voice actor like Blum if they can just get any person off the street to do that voice with that effects???

16. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

I find this assessment presumptuous, to be honest. Effects merely enhance what is already there.

On another note, I only got halfway through the movie last evening but I find myself having some of the same issues as Ed does with the core of the whole thing. One thing I'm going to single out as an example is Wonder Woman. Aside from the voice not doing much for me ("Ice Cream is wonderful!" was so awkward), I'm struck by this one part where she just outright says fighting is her real job and it's so fully transparent that she believes all her responsibilities and duties as an ambassador are just a pain in the ass. Her comments to Steve Trevor aren't quoted verbatim from the comic, but they do reflect this pernicious trend of the moment where too many creative minds think that to "modernize" cape comics is to all but totally eschew notions of heroes that stand for or represent anything. This is so completely contrary to what that character has traditionally been, to the point that I'm nearly ready to call this the worst interpretation of Wonder Woman in animation history.

#16 GWOtaku, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2014
  17. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!

We know they're mindless monsters, and we know that Apokalyps is the kind of place where things can only get worse, never better. If this is the first time they've ever seen Darkseid, this Justice League doesn't know that. So that means their first option when confronted with a foe is lethal force. Once they find out that the Parademons are formerly sentient beings who got turned into monsters, how do they know there isn't some Anti-Parademon machine on Apokalyps, or some way from some other planet those creatures (some of which may well have been kidnapped Earthlings) could be turned back? If they found one, what then? Look back on that giant mountain of corpses you left behind and go, "Oops. My bad." Doesn't seem adequate, does it?

Like I said, it's questionable. It's more questionable than it was when they had heroes presumably going lethal on Parademons in JLU, but at least there they knew there wasn't any hope of redemption from things that came from Apokalyps, and while they almost went with the idea that Parademons were created from living creatures taken from other worlds, the idea got nixed at the last minute.

And, as I said in the review, I can believe Wonder Woman, GL, and even Cyborg going lethal. If the Flash is a cop, I can believe he'd accept the necessity of lethal action even if he didn't like it. Absolutely cannot get behind Batman or Superman doing that kind of thing. And Shazam is a pre-teen/young teen boy in the body of a super-powered man killing living creatures in mass. Lots of the added stuff to this version of the JL is supposed to be more "realistic," but if we're going to play that game, then this would make Billy Batson a sociopath. I have a real big problem with that.

I'd agree, and on top of that, I very much doubt Steve Blum is "highly paid." If he's getting much more than scale plus 10 and residuals for this role, I'd be very very surprised. Very very few people are going to go buy this DVD based on name recognition of Steve Blum, and everyone (including Steve Blum) knows this. It's part of the deal of being a pro voice actor.

The comic is even worse. But yeah, some of her lines didn't fly right off the bat. The one about it being "glorious to be back in war" rang false to me -- I could have lived with "battle," but "war"? War sucks. Hard. Nobody knows that more than the warriors, and that's the way it's always been.

That said, I actually found her reasoning for leaving the White House to be more plausible than the comic (which I don't remember other than that I thought it was really stupid). It spoke to her misplaced expectations and the way the world doesn't know what to do with her yet that the President kept her waiting (even if this also led to the weird time paradox where he's on Air Force One within a few minutes of the invasion starting, which would suggest the President wasn't going to make his meeting with Wonder Woman because he was...uh...evacuating from an alien invasion that hadn't started yet). I also liked her moment when she socks Shazam in the kisser and tells him to grow up, not aware of the truth behind him. But it also makes me wonder why she didn't move to take leadership of the League once Superman was out of the picture. In the comic, Aquaman got a mildly amusing line where he asks, "Who's in charge? I vote me," and it was plausible that you had a bunch of A-type personalities all jockeying to be in the vanguard. This version of the League left it to WW and GL, really.

There was more, good and bad, but I can't remember much of it right this second.

18. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

5 minutes into this I suddenly thought to myself "This is how it's EXACTLY going to be (the characters and situations) in the upcoming live action Superman/Batman and Justice League movies." And that's all I could think about through out the entire movie. That's not exactly a good thing.

I wasn't too impressed with the comic story this was based on, so I honestly wasn't expecting much with this movie either. I really enjoyed "Throne Of Atlantis" and thought that was the first really good/noteworthy thing to come from the New 52, so I'll be looking forward to that animated movie.

19. Monte

Monte Active Member

The movie was boring... All action, very little substance. I mean they did try to do something with the idea of humans being afriad of heroes, but they didn't go far enough with it. The issue was there in the beginning, it was there at the end, but it was forgotten about in the middle. It just makes it feel a bit tacked on. I also did not care for the portrayal of the characters; Only characters i like were Batman, Flash and Cyborg... Superman and GL came off as arrogant jerks; Shazam was just annoying and so immature (where's that wisdom of solomon); And Wonder woman seems so shallow... Ya i take issue with WW attitude; she seems like such a better character when she is written with more nobility and less "love of war". Honestly she may be an amazon warrior and enjoy a good fight, but that last thing she should desire is war; i mean the amazons isolated themselves to escape from wars started by men. War is hell. I prefer the more diplomatic wonder woman

Also i can already tell they are pushing the SupermanXWonderWoman thing on us... Honestly it just feels so shallow. I mean heck it seems like their entire interest in each other is based on "wow, your (physcially) strong". Superman is a farmboy who was raised by ma and pa Kent and became a journalist; I would think he'd place more value in brains over brawn. And wonder Woman comes from a Xenophobic society that hates men; seems like she would require some more time to open up before going for the first really strong guy she meets. Honestly pairing just feels like it lacks substance... Instead of something natural, they just wanted world's strongest man and woman to be togehter

And y'know i can't help but feel like Superman Contributed so little to the fight. I mean batman made a big deal about needing to get their big guns if they were gonna win, but by the time they showed up, Darksied was blinded, his army was banished, and he himself was already knocked half-way through the portal that would banish him; honstly the guy was 99% beaten by the time supes showed up... Feels like if they just gave them a few more minutes the other heroes would have finished the job without him or batman.

Aslo as i mentione din the other thread, I didn't like them starting off with Darksied. on the plus side, You want a world threat to give the heroes a reason to ban together but Darksied is too big. The guy doesn't even feel like that high level of a threat and comes off as something as a brute. There's no build up; it makes him feel like a lower level threat as opposed to being one of the biggest of the big bads. Not to mention after seeing them beat Darkseid I won't be as interested in taking on a lesser threat like Ocean Master... if they can beat Darksied they can beat just about anyone. That's why it seems wiser to have the team start with a big world ending threat, but one that's on a smaller scale comprare to other world ending threats... so you can build up and keep the tension going. Tension is kind lost when you know the heroes have already faced worse

As for the issue of the parademons... I can buy them willing to kill them because they see them as nothing more than monsters. I mean while these characters generally have a no kill policy; that policy seems to mostly hold for sentient creatures, not animals and monsters. This is why it never bothered me in DCAU, because the Parademons came off more like trained vicious animals than sentient creatures. HOWEVER, the excuse of killing them because they are monsters is lost when its revealed that Parademons were formally human... once that is known it seems like the priority should be to cure them. Now I could except the excuse that the determined what happened to them was truly irreversible and thus the person they were is for all accounts already dead; the problem however is that the movie never addresses it. Heck, Cyborg didn't even bother to tell them about why Darksied was harvesting humans; he only told them about the plan to terraform the planet. The issue of saving human lives seems to take back seat to the battle; sure they saved the the captured people at the end, but it felt tacked on like it was an afterthought. I mean i think for like a moment there, it seemed like Barry was thinking about civilians, but it passed and i can't really recall... they just got caught up in the action

This movie takes no time to breathe... no time to let the characters sit back and think... no time to take it all in. Every single moment is dedicated to moving the plot, and the plot is 90% action. I would have liked to take a moment to step away from the action just to get a feel for the characters. Cause honestly, i didn't care for ANY of these characters. You can contrast this with Trapped in Time where I cared A LOT about DawnStar and Karate Kid despite them both being characters I have ZERO knowledge about. THAT movie actually makes me want to pick up a Legion of super Hero comic and start reading... This movie though; this did not make me the least bit interested in the new 52; heck i'd say it makes my opinion even MORE negative

20. BigEclipse

BigEclipse Member

I thought it was an okay movie. Nothing particular really blew me away. I liked some of the action sequences, as well as some of the direct adaptions from the comic like Batman and GL's encounter. I found most of the characters flat or one note. Since it was just a nonstop action ride, there was little time for any character development. Superman and Wonder Woman came off very shallow and unlikeable. I also found the animation rather uninspiring. It didn't seem that much better than anything you see from a network cartoon show which was surprising. The DC animated movies always seemed to step up their animation game with their DTV releases. I also felt Darksied was a waste. He was just some rampaging monster, and not all all fitting of one of DC's all-time great villains. You could more or less have substituted Doomsday and the movie wouldn't have missed a beat. Overall, I was underwhelmed.