1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Justice League: The New Frontier" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Feb 26, 2008.

?

Rate and Comment on This Feature - [i]Justice League: The New Frontier[/i]

1. *****

22.9%
  2. ****1/2

25.0%
  3. ****

25.0%
  4. ***1/2

8.6%
  5. ***

10.0%
  6. **1/2

5.7%
  7. **

2.1%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0.7%
  1. Juu-kuchi

Juu-kuchi Everypony's Starry-Eyed

Man, this movie was so short. I didn't feel like all the characters that were the main players were fleshed out properly. That's really the main complaint over the movie I have, because everything else is done very well. Once again DC Animation blows Marvel Animation out of the water, even with somewhat lacking affairs like this one. Some minor notes.

-I personally believe that the ending would have made more impact if it were 90 minute or so movie. The montage was rather moving and a nice way to cast off into the New Frontier, with a more fleshed out movie, it would be even better.
    -Lucy Lawless' performance as Wonder Woman was so good, I'd have much rather preferred her as JL Wonder Woman instead of Susan Eisenberg.

2. Nightwing

Nightwing WF Old Man

No, because it's not just one 'thing,' if what you're talking about is how Darwyn Cooke said he liked that the movie had the characters do costume changes in each scene. So you can pretty much compare any scene, as far as I can remember. One example would be Hal being driven to go meet Faraday, and the dinner scene before that. Different clothes.

If you like Math that much, you can calculate Bart Simpson's age while you're at it. ;)

I agree with Sisto sounding cool, but I would think that the voice he used (like in his threat against J'onn) was his "Batman voice."

I agree about liking the movie despite the moronic time retraint, but to answer your question: This....

Although let's not forget to put Stan Berkowitz's name in there. He scripted the movie, and he did an excellent job, says fanboy me and Darwyne Cooke.

3. Juu-kuchi

Juu-kuchi Everypony's Starry-Eyed

By the by, who was the guy in the goofy red spacesuit with the laser btw?

4. Peter Svensson

Adam Strange. Archaeologist who gets teleported to and from the planet Rann, (orbiting Alpha Centauri) as their part-time hero and savior. One of DC's first sci-fi heroes.

5. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Guest

Since another user brought this up, how does everyone think this movie compares to the last DC movie Superman Doomsday or even the Justice League series opener? I watched this movie again and once I read the book I think I will have a better opinion on how this movie stands alone and how it compares to the book. I just really like how we really saw an expanded DC Universe here.

6. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

Not as good as the comic, but good nonetheless. I will offer up a review after I watch it again. I think that some scenes have lost what made them special and meaningful to the story in the transfer to film, such as the Flash's confrontation with Captain Cold. I also feel that Hal was not fully justified as being the best candidate for the ring in the movie, as we don't have access to his inner thoughts beyond knowing that he wants to see the stars. Other than that, the only other thing I feel like mentioning now is that Superman was generally good, while the voices of Batman and Wonder Woman felt like they needed an actor's on-screen presence to make them as imposing as they were meant to be.

7. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

I don't have a ton of time at the moment, so this will be kind of a quickie review.

I don't know when I've gone into a DTV with higher expectations than I had for NF, based on such things as the fantastic nostalgic character designs and the fine trailer attached to The Batman's Season 4 DVDs. I really should have known better; that's always a trap, artificially inflating my expectations and making it virtually impossible for the film to measure up. So I must admit that I found my first viewing, on the Tuesday that the DVD came out, quite disappointing. The film seemed to rush too much through the character introductions, not forging enough of the groundwork for the dynamics operating between them, and the ending felt entirely too ... corny, frankly. I haven't read the GN, but I did purchase it at the same time, and based on its sheer volume, I just came away with the general feeling that the film was too rushed and impossibly compressed in order to meet WB's imposed 70 or 75 minute limit.

Last night, I gave the film a second chance viewing, and, with more realistic expectations after a few days' reflection, enjoyed it much more this time around. The character intros struck me as quite concisely executed, and the time devoted to them efficiently spent, given the overall film length limitations. The first half of the film is really very well crafted. I must admit, however, that the ending still just doesn't work for me. It's not so much the amorphous "Centre" that bothered me I think -- although I can't say I'm really wild about the whole ill-defined dinosaur-spewing living island villain concept -- but rather it's what should be the emotional climax of the film: Superman's speech following his sonic hand-clap, which reveals his epiphany that he can't simply be a mindless government lapdog any longer, and which is supposed to cut through all divisiveness and convince everyone to unite against the common threat. The speech feels a bit too artificial and contrived, a tad too ... "stock" I suppose, like some endlessly-droned chant at a political rally, and it simply doesn't elicit for me the emotional response that all of the heroes and soldiers give. But I did read that section of the GN, and I have to say, the speech doesn't seem to work there either; so I don't think this is the "fault" of the DTV -- it seems like an inherent weakness that comes with the story, just as part of the package.

I have to say, I am a sucker for the throwback 50's character designs; I loved the atmosphere that generated. Overall, at the end of the day, I enjoyed the movie -- certainly moreso than Superman: Doomsday.

And I was blown away by the Batman: Gotham Knight sneak peak --- I'm now officially REALLY looking forward to that one. The animation is stunning, and I'm quite intrigued by the taste we got of what would seem to be six VERY distinct takes on Batman. Of course, I suppose I may just be setting myself up for disappointment, falling again into my NF error :p ... but I don't really think so. (I hope not.) Superman: Doomsday was okay; New Frontier was better; and I predict that the new WP label will have its crown jewel in Batman: Gotham Knight.

8. pharmmajor

pharmmajor Member

Riddle me this, friends: How many of the villain headshots near the end of the film were you able to identify? Here are the rogues I could recognize:

Captain Cold
    Riddler
    Darkseid
    Brainiac
    Dr. Sivana
    Two-Face
    Black Manta
    Ra's al Ghul
    Cheetah
    Monocle
    Dr. Light
    Ultra-Humanite
    Star Sapphire
    Gentleman Ghost
    The Key
    Harley Quinn
    Joker

9. pharmmajor

pharmmajor Member

Amen to that. I can't wait to see the full feature. Did you notice in one of the preview clips, they showed some dead bodies with huge grins? I really hope that's a sign that Joker will be appearing in "Gotham Knight".

10. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

Ooh -- no, I didn't pick up on that actually; thanks for the heads-up. :) I'll have to watch it again.

... Now that you mention it though, it really would be a cryin' shame not to get the anime take on Joker, of all characters, wouldn't it? He just seems tailor made for the exaggerated/almost caricatured expressions of anime. Hopefully he'll get at least one cameo.

11. b.t.

b.t. Active Member

there you go, setting yourself up for disappointment again;)...

12. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

Dang ... however, it is extremely cool to hear from you, b.t. :D

Any chance you and the good folks working on the WP label would tackle the greatest Batman story of them all, The Dark Knight Returns? MAN, I'd love to see that get the sumptuous WP treatment ... maybe with a bit longer run time, if possible. ;)

13. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

Ok, HOW did I miss most of those?! Especially Harley Quinn?! I've just watched it for the second time and the only ones that caught my interest either time were Darkseid and Joker.

I only just realised that Phil Morris voiced Vandal Savage on JL. He did a good King Faraday here. I REALLY wish they had kept the explanation of Faraday's name in the movie; that part of the graphic novel really stood out to me. Plus, Faraday's homage death in the movie was not as good as his death in the graphic novel, which had more emotional impact.

14. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

15. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

I have to agree. While I enjoyed the movie there are alot of small moments lost that really do lessen the impact of the film. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the movie but s ince I've also read the book I couldn't help but notice thinking "Gee, I wish they kept that" a couple times. Especially since I've rewatched it a few times. I do like a couple of the changes they've made especially the scene in the Bat-cave with Batman and Superman and the altered scene where King Faraday dies. I thought that moment had a great shout-out to the The Losers stuff they had to cut from the movie when Faraday takes out the dinosaur.

16. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

As the arch derailer of the thread, I do apologize, James. :)

Btw, the pic you just posted w/ the black-background "S" reminds me, I LOVE the fact that they interwove the existence of the Fleischer cartoons into the story. I haven't really read the GN yet, but in skimming it I spotted a panel where, when Martian Manhunter meets Supes, he says something like, "I greatly enjoyed your animated adventures at the cinema." :p

17. DerekPowers

DerekPowers Ruler of Gotham City, 2049

Hey ShadowStar, I know you're from the UK, so did you find the movie too American or patriotic or nationalisitic? Did these themes in the movie effect how you viewed it, for better or worse, or not at all?? Whats your take on all that being you arent from the states?

Im really curious about non-american views on all the DC stuff, its interesting to me. And this movie doesnt get more "All American" so Im just very interested to know the reaction to it outside of America. Thanks.

18. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

Yeah, I felt that the theme of the "American Way" wedged in between the sci-fi elements gave the movie an "Independence Day" type feel. And considering that a lot of the heart was lost in the short running time (IMO), some of the patriotic moments like the speeches by Superman and Kennedy didn't feel entirely... earned. Though I must say that the music over the Kennedy speech was great and combined with the pan across the Teen Titans, it was something to behold. Other moments in the movie, like Superman with Lois Lane on the roof of the Daily Planet, felt strange; the nods to the real world were appreciated, but even though there was a clear message there, those nods felt a little gratuitous (sp?) if that word can be applied to this context. Superhero stories are better, IMO, when they are the escapist fantasies they should be and are subtle about morals and messages. The way New Frontier went about exploring its themes reminded me of the things I struggle to get around in live-action movies: how they try to be adult but end up making it feel more childish... So I agree with you to an extent. This is not to say, though, that I hated the movie. It was good. And I don't want to start a flame war about the patriotic elements I took away from the movie.

I wish the Starro scene had been kept as the epilogue.

19. pharmmajor

pharmmajor Member

Harley is hard to miss, but I caught one of the ends of her jester's cap right before her face was covered up by Joker's.

20. DerekPowers

DerekPowers Ruler of Gotham City, 2049

Reading over your posts it seems you liked the comic version, and like the movie, even if you had problems w/ it. So I guess what I'm asking you is did you feel like you couldnt "relate" to the film (or comic) because of the hyper-American message, or did you feel like it was cool because it gave you insight into a different country's culture, you know what I mean? How does someone from England view that kind of "americana" subject matter?