1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Justice League: The New Frontier" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Feb 26, 2008.

?

Rate and Comment on This Feature - [i]Justice League: The New Frontier[/i]

1. *****

22.9%
  2. ****1/2

25.0%
  3. ****

25.0%
  4. ***1/2

8.6%
  5. ***

10.0%
  6. **1/2

5.7%
  7. **

2.1%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0.7%
  1. The Flash

The Flash Fastest Man Alive

Well, it’s been a few years since I’ve followed much of anything in regards to animation – I finally got caught up on JL & JLU this month believe it or not. With that said, I enjoyed the movie a lot. I don’t fully understand the negative tone of this thread. It wasn’t the best flick we’ve ever seen, but it was far from the worst. It was damn good.

I’m a big fan of old school stuff so the setting had me happy from the start. I believe that title sequence was the best DCAU opening we’ve seen yet. It had a very Hitchockian feel – Saul Bass inspired graphics with Bernard Herrmann-est music. As far as the story goes - I’ve never read the graphic novel, but I don’t feel that it much matters if you have prior knowledge of the story or not. I know the characters, and I knew that I wanted to be entertained for 75 minutes. The movie did just that. I never once got bored, and for what it’s worth it didn’t seem short either. They obviously had to shorten the story, but I think it makes for a great and entertaining movie. The animation was some of the best we’ve ever seen. To those of you who think it's bad -- go watch some 1992-1994 Batman episodes. You're insane if you think this has bad animation. Take Flash’s running, for example. It never looked that fluid on STAS, JL, or JLU. And how cool was the Batman fighting scene? Voice acting was as always stellar. Though I’ll admit Batman’s new voice took the most getting used to, but by the end of the movie I was comfortable and pleased with it. As far as the comments on the DVD itself… buy the single disc version; for sure.

Yeah, 75 minutes kinda sucks, but if that’s what they have to do to keep making cartoons for us – I wouldn’t complain too much if I were you guys. If this were 1995 and you had told me they were going to make this much high quality DC animation I would’ve laughed my ass off at you. Think about how much steller stuff we've gotten since then. Face it; we’re spoiled rotten. I mean, we freakin’ got to see Hal Jordon animated as a main character in a Justice League movie…

2. dtemplar

dtemplar Old School Professor
    Reporter

I thought it was very good despite the fact that I've never read the comic.

4.5*

When Warner doesn't have anything after Wonder Woman.

3. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Guest

I can't believe that barely anyone has commented on this movie. I thought it was a great movie from start to finish and I am now going to find the books to read, too. I thought the animation was really good through most of the movie and the story itself was good. I wish The Center was more developed but that's okay. The bad guy made for a great villain at the end. I thought it was just a really good movie and I really liked seeing more DC heroes here.

4. Robin2099

Robin2099 Active Member

It's always been that way going back to the first time she used it in the comic.

5. Silly McGooses

Silly McGooses Active Member

I have to say, that greusome scene where she comes down in the plane, where you can see the blood spattered all across the invisible walls, is one of the most striking and effective visuals in the film and one of the best and most creative uses of blood I can think of in any movie.

6. Crimson

Crimson Weirdo From Another Planet

I find that unlikely. I've read Wonder Woman comic books my entire life and, aside from New Frontier, I can't recall a single instance where it was stated that bystanders could see Wonder Woman inside her plane. Of course the readers could see her; otherwise we would have been looking at an empty panel. But that doesn't mean that people in the comic book could. What is the point of an Invisible Plane if not to render things invisible? That's like having a camouflaged jeep and painting a big red bullseye on it.

7. Silly McGooses

Well, I have to eat some crow. I watched it again and I really, really enjoyed it. All the things I've said I don't like...I still don't like. I think there are major issues. But the good outweighs the bad. ****/*****

8. Jade_GL

Jade_GL An Aperture Science Original

This animated movie is one of my favorites out of all of the features that have been put out by Marvel and DC in the past few years. It blows the Marvel stuff just clear out of the water, makes Superman/Doomsday look very lame in comparison, and it even outdoes animated Hellboy, which I like quite a bit.

Most of the small issues I had with the movie were entirely because of time constraints. I wish there was more stuff to see and experience, but I understand that they can't cram a six issue comic book miniseries into just 70 or so minutes. THe animation and character designs were beautiful and classic and it was just really fun to watch.

I really have no concrete complaints about the story, characters or anything. Like I said, I wish I could just get a little more. :)

9. Raidon Makoto

Raidon Makoto Long Live The Heroes

I just got this, and got the last special edition at Best Buy (with the Lantern Figurine). Have yet to watch it, but I am looking forward to it.

10. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, sad to say, I was rather disappointed. Visually the film was great to look at. I loved Superman's design, which really reminded me of Max Fleischer. Storywise, I thought it just sort of lazily wandered around, especially the first act or so, which seemed really jumpy. The pacing was rather sluggish until around the time The Center (or the island, whatever it was) showed up, and by then the film was nearly over. There just wasn't much suspense, I felt, to the story. (Whereas Superman: Doomsday really wowed me and had me glued to the screen.) The cast was okay; nothing special. No one really stood out for me, though I thought Jeremy Sisto was off as Batman. I don't know, just something about the darkness of his voice not matching the look of his character.

Overall, **/***** :(

11. Silly McGooses

That's funny, for me it was the exact opposite. I thought the second half was a huge come-down from all the great character and period stuff in the first half.

12. Robin2099

Robin2099 Active Member

If you go and look at Wonder Woman comics back during that time period then yes, it's exactly like how it's portrayed in New Frontier, and yes characters could see her sitting in the plane as well. Eventually though it got changed around post crisis so that the jet was actually invisible and her as well, but until that time it was used exactly like it was in NF. Plus it wasn't really a weapon that was used for stealth it was more of a way to get from point A-B for her. So no, Darwyn didn't make that up when it wrote the comic.

13. Peter Svensson

[​IMG]

This is from Sensation Comics #1. Part of Wonder Woman's origin. See, it's just a transparent plane, and Wonder Woman has to hide it, because otherwise people would see it. Meaning it's not invisible. It's just one of those artifacts of the conceit that New Frontier uses the 50s versions of the DC heroes, so 50s Wonder Woman doesn't have a truly invisible plane, but a transparent one.

14. maczero

maczero Active Member

Would her plane show up on radar?

15. Batlaw

Batlaw Member

This pretty much sums up my opinions as well.
    I completely loved this movie. Any and all complaints I have are all attributed to the forced limited runtime (which I usually dont make a big deal about one way or the other), but here, it was truly the biggest, most obvious, and most painful flaw. What was spectacular, couldve been a perfect.

16. Raidon Makoto

Raidon Makoto Long Live The Heroes

Watched the movie last night, and loved it. It could have been made better by being longer, but it was still good. My only complaint was a lot of the... visceral-ness of the end really wasn't necessary. I guess I'm just used to JLU not having gorging amounts of blood leak from Dinosaurs that were just ripped in half by Martian Manunter, or in one case...

All in all, 4 1/2 Stars.

17. Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask Member

I am glad they made it. I enjoyed seeing the Silver Aged Justice Leaguers but all in all I was bored by it.

I'm ready for a JSA/JLA crossover now.

18. Nightwing

Nightwing WF Old Man

Time. Time time time, my number one complaint (not at the fault of any of our cast or crew, though) that I read here which was also the first thing I thought of was time. A comic like this, with a story like this, DESERVED MORE TIME. Also important to note, though, is the excellent job the crew did putting as much as they could into the 75 minutes and connecting it properly. Many thanks to Stan Berkowitz and Lois Lane, to name the top two I can think of.

It REALLY sucks that Best Buy had some sort of Special Edition with a Hal Jordan figurine. I wish I had known about that. Anyway. Buy the movie if you're of the DCAU Clan. If nothing else, repeat viewings will highlight the good you find over the bad you may find.

Yes, a stupid pop culture reality we should all remember. With that in mind, I always browse the kids section when I'm at a DVD store and wonder if I'd see the UNCUT Return of The Joker. :p I haven't often, but I have at least once.

Honestly, the fact that this story is rooted in an actual piece of American History just made it a million times better for me, even though I never read the comic. The opening credits let you know that you need to slide back to the time period in order to literally get IN TO the story.

50s America is comforting for those who were there. It was a simpler time because, by definition, time always changes and gets harder. New challenges, new dangers, more places to be explored, physical and otherwise. Read all of JFK's New Frontier speech, he sums up the movie and time period for me exactly, so I understood.

I can see people saying they don't jump into the power and righteousness that the characters feel because YOU know what comes next, but I think it's just about portraying the hero's strength to hold human ideals and move forward. Of course mistakes are going to be made. Sliiide into the era.

Therefore, what the story says is the part that's relatable. I don't see ignoring differences and banding together with common human goals as patriotic, or nostalgic. If it is, then I'm pretty sure I don't want to be living in today's America. And even if it is, it shouldn't be.

I can agree that PC references taint the fanasy world that's made, but I still look at the story's bigger picture from the era in which it was being told. It's like a Dragonball Z movie. Same characters/personalities, same emotions, separate storybook. Regardless, we have a hidden weakness of trying to tie things together every time we see a new chapter, since the DCAU is so immense.

I loved everything I was given, and I especially want to thank the excellent cast. Kyle WAS a 50s Superman. That's what we needed and that's what he gave us. People often forget that a character from one generation shares the CORE character, but is also a product of his/her time period at the same time, thus creating who he/she is for THAT generation of fans. I did feel sort of off with Mr Sisto as Batman, but the only reason is because his voice is quite powerful. I wouldn't honestly hear him moreso as someone like Darkseid. His performance of every line was so spot on, though, that I got used to it eventually.

Superman is very hard to write for, physically. Sure I would have preferred it if he didn't get knocked down, but I simply took it as a power level check, to indicate that they had to go on without their inspirational speech leader man. So I allowed that, as well as Robin's very cool appearance. Again, voice actor very well done, AND we got to see the historic "Dick Grayson is in awe of his Superman-fandom" character trait, which is important. AND the scene itself was moreso to discuss Batman's transition from "almost evil" late-1930s Batman with light-looking 1960s Batman with side order of circus boy.

So that's it! The only thing negative I can say is time. This movie made me watch Doomsday again, PLUS I watched New Frontier the first day, and then later a second time that night. I've never done that before. And props to me for not gushing over the fact that not only did Hal Jordan make his first leading role appearance in the DCAU, but he was voiced QUITE SUCCESSFULLY by David Boreanaz, despite the fact that ANGEL is my favorite show in all sentient worlds.

uh oh...does that count...?

19. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Okay, I have never noticed this but seemingly there is a costume change? Can about provide pictures until I can grab a copy of this thing?

20. Jade_GL

Jade_GL An Aperture Science Original

Superman had to get punked out. It wasn't supposed to be his story. Not only did it show that the Center was super powerful when it took him out, it also set the stage for Green Lantern and Flash to be the heroes of the piece. And that was the point. It was really their story.

One of the main things I got from both the comic book and the film was that their was an old guard (Superman, Wonder Woman) and a set of new heroes that had to emerge (Green Lantern, Flash, Martian Manhunter). In the new era, the older heroes had to adapt and change. The new heroes just had to come to terms with themselves and their limitations and become the heroes that the new era needed.