1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Justice League: The New Frontier" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Feb 26, 2008.

?

Rate and Comment on This Feature - [i]Justice League: The New Frontier[/i]

1. *****

22.9%
  2. ****1/2

25.0%
  3. ****

25.0%
  4. ***1/2

8.6%
  5. ***

10.0%
  6. **1/2

5.7%
  7. **

2.1%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0.7%
  1. maczero

maczero Active Member

I'm surprised by the lack of praise this film is getting. Personally, I thought this was one of the best animated projects I've seen from the DC universe. The only gripe I had was the "center". I've never been a fan of generic aliens or monsters as the big threat.

2. Optimus81

Optimus81 Member

I absolutely agree. I enjoyed it but I felt the movie really lacked in some places. I would've liked to see more social tension, more historical background, and maybe more focus on just a handful of the characters. It felt rushed, crammed in many places and the climactic fight scene seemed flat. Other than the Flash, I would've liked to see more superheroes dealing with racism, McCarthyism, paranoia, etc. These themes are just too big for a cast of 20 and a story that takes place over a decade to fit into 75 minutes. Hopefully we'll get a Director's Cut or something one day, where we see the Justice Society trials, and more of the historical backdrop. At least I'm hoping.

Given all they were trying to do, the movie was good, and definitely wasn't bad. The animation and pacing was good (even if each scene was a snippet of a character). I've just seen Timm and company do much better. All in all, as a DCAU adventure I'd give it a C+. As an animated feature I'd give it about a B/B-.

3. ichormosquito

ichormosquito Member

The America Cooke was depicting had little to do with Vietnam, and there's no reason to believe the heroes would enlist in that war. If anything, the majority of them would oppose it. The story captures the brief national euphoria after Kennedy was elected - America was at a turning point after a decade of broiling racial tensions, the Red Scare, and nuclear hysteria.

Kennedy would never have allowed Vietnam to escalate the way it did.

#23 ichormosquito, Feb 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2008
  4. HG Revolution

HG Revolution Truth (with crazy opinions!)

5. Steven C

Steven C Active Member

One question - how did Flash escape the net? Where did he go?
    He could have vibrated through, but it looked like he was teleported out.
    He looked pretty scared when he was about to get shot, so I doubt he had time to think to vibrate through.

6. Wolf Boy2

Wolf Boy2 Active Member

Animation is always classified as "for kids." Welcome to America.:anime:

7. Silly McGooses

Silly McGooses Active Member

Man, I don't know what to think right now. I just got done watching it. There were some great bits, but over-all, I'm feeling very dissapointed in the final product. The best scene in the entire film is the opening credits sequence. I think most of the blame should be placed on WB and their absurd 75-minute edict that dates back to Mask of the Phantasm--honestly, how much more would it have cost for 5 extra minutes of animation? The story was so crammed that it really became just a parade of heroes for the last thirty minutes. So much of what made the book special was lost. The few glimphes that were offered of the film that should have been just made me more frustrated. Maybe all of the complaints that have been seen in EVERY REVIEW of this film about its length will have some impact on WB--it's just a shame that, if it happens, it's after this movie was made.

I also was not a fan of the character designs--Cooke's style is simple and elegant, which seems like a great match for animation, but this film really didn't mirror that look. Perhaps it would've been better back when Cel Animation was still done. The digital JLU-style backgrounds really disturbed me.

There were some really nice scenes: the opening, the very end, and most of the precious quiet moments in-between. Most of the film was also very nicely animated.

I think I have to watch the film again to really give it a fair rating, but right now, the most I would grade this film is ***/*****, when I fully expected to give it a *****.

8. Nate Palm

Nate Palm Member

Agreed. The center did seem kinda nothing. I was actually quite stunned when Cooke revealed that the center was communism. It honestly had never occurred to me.

Loved the movie. It being a period piece really made it click for me.

9. ichormosquito

ichormosquito Member

The film deserved a longer running time and a bigger budget. If it had to be short, it should have focused more on Hal's story arc. Still cool, though.

10. Cyporiean

Cyporiean lvl 99 Otaku

This is Barry we're talking about, he can run faster then TIME.

11. maxnugget

maxnugget Avenger of evil and ignorance

I understand completely if WB wants to limit each movie to ~70 minutes, I understand the budgetary need to do that. But they need to be better judges of what kinds of stories can be told effectively in 70 minutes. This may not have been one of them.

12. Gary L Thompson

Gary L Thompson Active Member

A reasonable question. My advice would be to ask Mr. Henrickson himself through the contact info given at the end of his column. To steal a line from Mr. Silver Age, "I don't write 'em, I just link 'em."

13. Maxie Zeus

Maxie Zeus Upside Down

Time for TZ's answer to Heckle and Jeckle. Click at the top of the image for my review; the bottom to read Ed's. Note: I haven't read Cooke's book; Ed has, and has things to say.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What Ed says about extras goes for me too. Buy the single disc edition.

14. Steven C

Steven C Active Member

he wasnt running at that time though.

15. Temple Fugate

Temple Fugate Active Member

He thought to vibrate so the dart would pass through his body, it's logical that he'd continue on that train of thought and vibrate out of the net.

16. PeppeRaskell1

PeppeRaskell1 Peanutized!!!

I've just put the book on reserve at my local public library, having had my interest in the "New Frontier" story enhanced by TZ's reviews of the movie and eager to check out what the book is like.

Plan to check out the movie, too.

17. tb4000

tb4000 Active Member

Does it earn its PG-13 rating with the violence/subject matter?

18. Peter Svensson

Yes. Yes it does.

19. Crimson

Crimson Weirdo From Another Planet

I thought the movie, like the original comic, was decent but unspectacular. There was a lot about the movie I enjoyed, but my overall reaction was unenthusiastic.

These kinds of stories -- that bounce through the years, telling vignettes here and there -- usually feel like a "Cliffs Notes" version of a real story to me. As a result, I rarely find them to be satisfying. There were allusions to side stories that I found more interesting than the main story presented in New Frontier; there's much about this "universe" I would have liked to see, but this particular story wasn't one of them. (Flash's brief battle with Captain Cold was more fun and interesting than the entire main storyline.)

I also found the tone of the movie, like the original comic, to be incongruous. On the surface New Frontier matches the optimism of the DC comics of the 50s and 60s, but beneath that there's a streak of modern cynicism and violence that was unknown in those books. Contemporary comic books wallow in cynicism but trying to force those modern sensabilities into an earlier era feels fruitless.

The animation was decent, if a bit flat and stiff. I liked how Darwin Cooke's style seemed to be filtered through that of Bruce Timm. The voice acting was excellent, even if it was jarring to hear new actors in the roles after being so used to the voices familiar in the Timm DCAU.

There was one little thing about the original comic that irked me so much I stopped reading it, and which also made it into the movie: the notion that Wonder Woman remains visible while inside her Invisible Jet, so that bystanders see a woman, in a sitting position, flying by. I don't know if that's ever been the implication of how her plane works previously, but the idea here struck me as so asinine that I put the book down and never finished it. My reaction to the movie was equally derisive.

*** out of *****

20. Maxie Zeus

Maxie Zeus Upside Down

Wonder Woman hates mimes. She had the jet specially built that way so she could freak them out. :p