1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Justice League: The New Frontier" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Feb 26, 2008.

?

Rate and Comment on This Feature - [i]Justice League: The New Frontier[/i]

1. *****

22.9%
  2. ****1/2

25.0%
  3. ****

25.0%
  4. ***1/2

8.6%
  5. ***

10.0%
  6. **1/2

5.7%
  7. **

2.1%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0.7%
  1. GL's Light

GL's Light Keeper of the Green Flame

It wasn't dropped. In the DVD's special features Darwyn Cooke said that he intended for the Centre to represent communism and that he was surprised that no one got it or made the connection.

2. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

I agree. I didn't like New Frontier much the first time I saw it, then I began to like it more and more with each viewing. The opposite happened with Superman: Doomsday, where I liked it the first time, but with each viewing disliked it more and more. I think of the 3 DC original animated movies released so far (Doomsday, New Frontier, Gotham Knight), New Frontier is the best of the lot.

As for Sisto as Batman - I didn't like him much at first either, but now I really do; It's like Darwyn Cooke said, he sounds something like Adam West would sound if playing a more darker Batman.

3. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

The funny thing is that I find the same is true about the graphic novel, although I had a much more positive impression of the GN the first time through than I did of the movie. I re-read the whole thing before reviewing the DVD and it vaulted from being "kinda cool, awesome art" to being "completely cool, still awesome art."

I also think it was the best of the DTVs released so far, but only because Wonder Woman hasn't streeted yet to kick it off the perch ;).

4. Munkiman

Munkiman Hail Hydra.

I didn't especially like this movie. It was too slow for my tastes, and a lot of the characters were hard to tell apart. The only really good part was superheroes fighting dinosaurs. As a whole, this movie was OK, but not great.

5. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Lord Vader

Fascinating viewing experience. This was my first exposure to The New Frontier. And watching it, I felt that there a lot of elements not quite to my liking, such as the retro look/feel, or the prehistoric creatures/dinosaurs toward the end, or just that there seemed to be a lot of different things going on with not all of it maybe getting the time that it needed/warranted. Yet, I found myself thoroughly interested inspite of any uncertainties I had. Definitely seems a case were the whole came across better perhaps than the sum of its parts. My initial reaction was that I didn't like this nearly as much as Crisis on Two Earths, but after watching NF last night, I felt drawn to re-watch it with each of the two commentary tracks today, and with each I gained a better appreciation for it. Even though I'm sure I could name so many more individuals bits and pieces from Crisis that I preferred, I think as a whole I find Frontier more impressive. I'm not entirely sure why.

Though I initially resisted watching this for awhile because of the retro designs, that is at least part of the charm. I thoroughly enjoyed a different atmosphere and feel. I liked all the different stories that seemed to make up the whole. Completely loved both the opening segments with the creation of The Last Story and the depiction of the Centre, as well as the opening credits, both of which set a great tone of the rest of it.

Appreciated some of the Watchmen-like aspects with the government's views/attitudes toward costumed heroes.

I liked the epic nature of the threat.

A lot of character moments/interactions which I found striking, such as the early Superman/Wonder Woman clash over the latter's actions in Indo-China, Superman and Lois sitting atop the Daily Planet, and the Batman/J'onn scene in the batcave.

I found some of the moments late in the movie incredibly effective in establishing the threat posed by the Centre. One was the black & white footage of Lane's report of what was happening and the visual of the floating island behind above the churning waters. Another was the sight of the bloodied Diana in Supes arms after her plane crashed. And then later Supes going down as a fireball into the water.

I was especially impressed by the portrayal of Hal Jordan. I've always liked Green Lantern, but I was never really a fan of Hal Jordan. But after watching this, I can understand why so many are fans. I can't ever remember seeing Jordan portrayed as well as he was here and I think I enjoyed ever moment he was featured.

One thing that confused me a bit was exactly where Superman stood between the government and the superheroes. He talked early to Diana about the loyalty oath to the government. And we see later Faraday use that red phone to call in Superman for his aid. So it seemed like he was on their side. But then later after his rousing speech, he calls for cooperation and shakes Faraday's hand, almost as though they'd been in opposition or disagreement. In the comic, where did he fit into all this? If he was lending aid/support to the government, was there any tensions between Superman and the other heroes. Was there more conflict between him and guys like Faraday in the comic than seen in the movie?

6. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan I Will Find Him!

I can't believe I never rated this movie 5/5 just superb. Kyle MacLachlan owned as Superman. Its just a shame they couldn't have done a two hour movie and included everyhing from the Graphic Novels but they do a superb job with it. I think the best voice has to be Jeremy Sisto as Batman he was unbelievable the line he said about a book of matches to John Jones was my favourite line. To be honest I thought every voice in this was spot on. Up there with the best of the DC DTVs 5 out of 5

7. Zentron

Zentron Member

It was a nice idea, but if I was to ever to try to describe what a turd would look like if someone tried to polish it, I would recommend they watch this movie. The only thing I did like about it, was the retro costumes, the movie just felt like they had only spent a few weeks getting the script together, getting it animated, then a big Warner/DC boss waliking into the room and telling them to cut it short, making it even worse. I was really looking forward this movie when I hear about it and saw some of the design work, but after watching it, I felt like I had just drank a gallon of liquid scienide :sad: :mad:

8. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

I remember at first I didn't care much for it, but after a couple of viewings, I'd grown to love it. Since I was so used to the modern version of the DCAU's Justice League, it was the retro aspect that made it tough for me, and the fact that Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman are only in minor roles, but then after reading Darwyn Cooke's series (which also took a few times to get into) and after a few repeated viewings of the movie, I grew to accept it and appreciate it more and more for the exact same reasons that I didn't like it. I now love Cooke's Golden Age-into-Silver Age take on the characters and I really love the voice casting on each of them. The film now stands as probably my favorite of the DCU DTVs (although I still love Batman: Under The Red Hood very much, too).

9. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan I Will Find Him!

Watched this again yesterday for the first time in ages and I have to say I loved it even more than the first time. I still think they did an amazing job of cutting down from the source material yet still having it feel like a complete story. I would love Darwyn Cooke to revisit this world (I have ordered but am yet to read the New Frontier special) and maybe do a trinity story or this Justice League taking on Starro as we saw briefly at the end.

10. Gravitea

Gravitea Member

Great movie.

I like the character subplots for Hal Gordon and Barry Allen as well as the relationship between Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman as Clark noticed his friends had changed.

Also enjoyed how the Justice League was formed.

11. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

12. JTMarsh

JTMarsh Wing Commander

You know, way back when this was released a friend of mine complained non-stop that the advertising was "misleading", that the film was basically all about Green Lantern/Hal Jordan and the other characters were just background filler. I never really understood that complaint given that the film is about multiple characters dealing with multiple problems across the 1950s, and I was wondering if anyone else felt the story was too 'Green Lantern happy'.

13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I think they bounced between heroes pretty equally in this movie. Hal was certainly the audience's POV - entering this world of superheroes, aliens, and spies and experiencing it for the first time like us.

Has your friend read the source material?

14. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Yeah, Hal Jordan's Green Lantern was definitely the central point of the film I think representing the Silver Age. Even though according to the comics, Barry Allen Flash is the mascot for the Silver Age, in this Darwin Cooke wanted to use Hal Jordan, and with the space race as a backdrop of significant shift in reality, of our hopes and dreams, yeah GL was the poster boy in Cookes vision of the Silver Age. I think DC was really pushing Green Lantern as their Iron Man back then, with the live action film and everything.

15. JTMarsh

JTMarsh Wing Commander

I don't think she did. I tried encouraging her to read it but she just wouldn't. At the time she even went so far as to insist that "Superman: Doomsday", which I personally thought was terrible, was a better feature simply because the advertising was "honest". :shrugs:

[QUOTE=the_greenman}
    [COLOR=#FFFFFF]Yeah, Hal Jordan's Green Lantern was definitely the central point of the film I think representing the Silver Age. Even though according to the comics, Barry Allen Flash is the mascot for the Silver Age, in this Darwin Cooke wanted to use Hal Jordan, and with the space race as a backdrop of significant shift in reality, of our hopes and dreams, yeah GL was the poster boy in Cookes vision of the Silver Age. I think DC was really pushing Green Lantern as their Iron Man back then, with the live action film and everything.[/COLOR]
    [/quote]

The book admittedly did do a better job of giving everyone their own space and making them feel like equals in the story, but I felt she exaggerated things a little bit when she started saying stuff like "they should have just called it Green Lantern Rise of A Hero".

I think New Frontier predated DC/WB's attempts to make Green Lantern their Iron Man, what with the original story being published in 2004 and the animated version not coming out until 2008. I don't think the "Iron Man push" came until the film actually got the go ahead, and it feels like they're still kinda trying to make GL their Iron Man in things like Justice League War where his sarcasm is sky high but painfully unfunny unless you're amused by the sight of a man who is just so stupid that he doesn't realize how ineffectual he really is.

16. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

JL: The New Frontier was definitely not part of DC's push to make Green Lantern their Iron Man. I'd say that project was GL: Emerald Knights, which came out more or less in conjunction with the live-action movie. Even then, though, the anthology format and the fact that Hal isn't much more than the narrator makes me think it wasn't an effort for anything other than to get "Green Lantern" into the public consciousness a bit more.

Regardless, I think that in principle, GL is DC's Iron Man in that he's a great wish fulfillment character. The origin story means that anyone can be GL or Iron Man, once you get yourself the power ring or the armor. I'd say most of the problems you have with GL are also rooted in the source material for that specific movie, but I've already detailed my problems with that.

For the record, if your friend is going to judge movies on their advertising, I don't know how she can ever enjoy anything, but that's neither here nor there.

17. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I don't have solid proof of the 'GL push', but they had the GL film in production since 2007 with director Greg Berlanti helming. Incidentally, the Batman episode 'Ring Toss' premiered December that year. Iron Man buzz on the internet came around that time I remember, and then after that DC went full throttle with the film production and 'GL push'. Incidentally, I believe Marvel's dtv slot was their push for their films. Iron Man came first, and well, we'll get Dr. Strange soon. Also, GL was supposed to come out in 2010, but decided to push it to $ummer 2011.

Berlanti lights up ‘Green Lantern’ | Variety

18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty much. The odd thing is originally it was a prequel to the Green Lantern: First Flight movie and didn't have Hal in the main story at all - it was Sinestro and Abin talking to Arisia. But corporate "insisted" Hal be inserted so canon was broken and it's its own thing.

19. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

I actually just rewatched the dvd of this less than a month ago. I remember back in 2008 how much I disliked the movie. It took many rewatchings of the movie on Cartoon Network for me to warm up to this movie. I remember Cartoon Network regularly aired this movie as part of their "Action Flicks" block on Saturday nights back in 2008.

20. JTMarsh

JTMarsh Wing Commander

Well, most if not all superheroes are wish fulfillment in some way or another, but trying to mimic Iron Man's cinematic formula backfired for whatever reason.

I admit I still don't get her logic for not liking New Frontier, just as I don't really get her dislike of Wall-E, which she complained was too much of a rip off of Star Wars (among other things), even though Star Wars itself was a rip off of Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, Akira Kurosawa films & many other things, and she insists the Star Wars prequels are good films. :shrugs: