1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Justice League: The New Frontier" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Feb 26, 2008.

?

Rate and Comment on This Feature - [i]Justice League: The New Frontier[/i]

1. *****

22.9%
  2. ****1/2

25.0%
  3. ****

25.0%
  4. ***1/2

8.6%
  5. ***

10.0%
  6. **1/2

5.7%
  7. **

2.1%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0.7%
  1. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

Well considering that this was the second time that it has aired over about the last month or so. I'm certain that it's aired at least 4 times now on Cartoon Network since it came out.

2. jph139

jph139 Immortal

Twice - once a few months ago, and once last Saturday. Unless it aired at some point between those two dates.

Trust me, I was been waiting, since I'm too lazy to go get the DVD. :sweat:

3. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I don't think using dinosaurs as a substitute for Communists was the intent in the graphic novel. It certainly wasn't anything that I picked up on. To paraphrase Freud, sometimes a dinosaur spawned from a gigantic telepathic monster is just a dinosaur spawned from a giant telepathic monster.

Even if it was, though, there's nothing wrong with using a monster as a metaphor for something else. Science fiction does this all the time to make social commentary. The power of the first Godzilla movie comes from the fact that he's not just a giant lizard stomping on Tokyo, but a metaphor for the specter of nuclear weapons. Most of the American monster movies of the 1950's essentially used monsters to sub for Communists (the giant ants of Them! come to mind immediately), and the Pod People of Invasion of the Body Snatchers are powerful metaphors for totalitarian thought of both the Communist and the virulent anti-Communist variety. I think the Center of The New Frontier is probably closest to the Pod People if it's meant as a metaphor for anything, but it seems to me that the dinosaurs are just dinosaurs.

-- Ed

4. SaBaWoJuLe

SaBaWoJuLe Active Member

At what point did you get the idea of dinosaurs actually being communists? There aren't any communists in this movie! The dinosaurs are a part of the Centre, and the Center is an evil entity that is part of Earth. End of story, and simple as that.

5. #1 defender

#1 defender Member

I remember Darwyn Cooke admitting that the thought behind the creation of The Centre was to make it a metaphor for communism, i think he says so on the dvd commentary or in one of the featurettes. He seemed a bit embarrased about it though, cause it supposedly didn't come across as well as he imagined it would when he came up with the idea.

6. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yea the Center was supposed to be Communism or a metaphor for it, but the dinosaurs, no, they were just there as a physical threat for the heroes to fend off at the end.

7. SaBaWoJuLe

SaBaWoJuLe Active Member

I just did a google search, and you guys seem to be right. How did I miss that? But it's the Centre, not the dinosaurs. I wonder how Cooke was presenting that connection between the Centre and Communism.

8. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

I never would've known that the Centre (or is it Center?) is supposed to be symbolic of communism. It's from the well knowledged group right here that I find out a lot of stuff that I wasn't aware of.

9. SaBaWoJuLe

SaBaWoJuLe Active Member

I know, maybe it was an original idea that he dropped. Because let's fact it: there is nothing communism about the Centre in the GN nor DTV versions. If we don' see it, nor can tell its connection, then it's not there at all.

10. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

So it appears that JL:New Frontier is scheduled to air yet again on Cartoon Network's "Action Flicks" block. I think in 2008, this movie will have aired on that block at least 5 times now. I think that Superman Doomsday and The Batman Vs Dracula have both also aired around the same number of times as well.

You'd think maybe someone over at DC could give Cartoon Network a call and let them know that there's other DC animated movies that could be aired instead of the same three all the time. There's Batman:Mask Of The Phantasm, Subzero, Mystery Of The Batwoman. As well as Superman:Brainiac Attacks (I know people don't like it as much as other DC movies, but at least it would be something different once in a while).

11. warnerbroman

warnerbroman Active Member

Batwoman is next week

12. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

Yeah, I saw the preview for it while JL:NF was on. That's good, MOTB wasn't the best DC animated movie, but at least it's not one of the same movies that they've been playing over and over again.

13. ROBOTRON

ROBOTRON 100% Pure Robot!

MOTB is killer...love that movie.:D

14. Kazuya Prower

Kazuya Prower Keeping it Tails since 2005

Seriously, what's the point of Action Flicks? To rerun the same certain movies over and over again? If that's the case, they shouldn't had cancelled Toonami.

15. Bones Justice

Bones Justice Bring on the noise!

I really regret buying New Frontier on DVD. I wish I had waited to watch it on television instead. I just didn't think it was that great.

Any chance they will show Gotham Knight again? I missed that one the first time that they showed it. They seem to be re-running everything else.

16. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I doubt that they will air Batman: GK again. A lot of parents complained (or at least all the ones I know).

17. warnerbroman

warnerbroman Active Member

looks like I need to hire deadshot again.....

18. chdr

chdr Active Member

If they can replay New Frontier so many times, they can easily air Gotham Knight.

19. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

So I went to circuit city and the dvds were 40% off. That meant I could purchase this movie for less than $10. I figured, less than $10, that's not bad. Even if this hasn't been my favorite DC animated movie ever made. I went home and decided to go ahead and throw it in the dvd player.

I think I want to take back some of the things that I've said in the past about this movie. I don't feel like the whole dinosaurs/floating island thing was the greatest. And I'm not gonna put this movie up there with Mask Of The Phantasm, Subzero, or Return Of The Joker. But I'd say I've come to like it about as much as Mystery Of The Batwoman, Brainiac Attacks (which I also no longer hate anywhere near as much as I once did), and Doomsday.

As I had mentioned in one of the last posts that I had done about this movie, I've really come to like the way both Superman and Batman were done in this movie. I thought that MachLachlan and Sisto were both outstanding. And I also really liked this version of Lois with Sedgwick providing the voice as well.

So Mr. Timm, I apologize for everything bad that I had said about this movie on this page, and amazon.com as well. As I said in a previous post, it definitely took me some time to accept any DC animation that wasn't DCAU. But I'm starting to enjoy this DC Universe thing. And as I've also stated before, I can not begin to express how excited I am for Wonder Woman.

20. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

I do believe that this is the kind of movie that is more rewarding on repeat viewing, unlike say Doomsday.

However... I'm still not sold on Sisto as Batman. A deep, gravelly voice does not a Batman make alone. It seemed off to me, minus the 'box of matches' scene.

Then again, if Timm and Co. bought him back, I wouldn't mind. Perhaps a Batman with a bigger role and a wider range of emotions would allow him more freedom.