1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Justice League: The New Frontier" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Feb 26, 2008.

?

Rate and Comment on This Feature - [i]Justice League: The New Frontier[/i]

1. *****

22.9%
  2. ****1/2

25.0%
  3. ****

25.0%
  4. ***1/2

8.6%
  5. ***

10.0%
  6. **1/2

5.7%
  7. **

2.1%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0.7%
  1. Bloody Marquis

Bloody Marquis Quite smashing, eh?

So many cameos at the end. Did anyone get all of them?

2. jph139

jph139 Immortal

Huh, that was pretty awesome. Had a very retro, "America FTW!" feel to it, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. :D Lots of cameos and crowning moments of awesomeness... a guy grabbing grenades while being eaten by a T-Rex and then BLOWING UP ITS HEAD!? That's nothing short of badass.

And JFK's speech over patriotic and geeky images? I got tingles, I'll admit. Not perfect, but I loved it, personally.

3. Mickialla

Mickialla Suave Incarnate

Good movie. I liked the whole retro post-World War II feel to it. Most of the characters were created during this time, so it felt a little cool. They were lenient with the editing too, that guys head getting blown off and then that cult guy dead on the ground talking with blood on his face, that was creepy. I liked the Bugs Bunny cameo and all of the cameos at the end, which included the Teen Titans. I just wished that they did something with Green Arrow and Adam Strange, they both just stood their in the background for most of the time. And I also wish that they gave more background on the Centre, like where it came from, why it was an island, and why it had giant mutated dinosaurs coming out of it and why it was some sort of different dimension on the inside. Still a good movie though.

4. chdr

chdr Active Member

Apparently this movie is based on a graphic novel. Maybe there's some backstory to it in there. But from what I've heard it's supposed to be some Martian uber-weapon, but don't take me as a good source, I've never been that into the DC mythos.

5. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The Center is explained in passing in the movie I believe as just evolving from the Earth hundred of millions of years ago. It's explained in the very real graphic novel in the same way, just for anyone who has never heard of it.

6. konohamaru

konohamaru Salad Ninja

Watched it ... wasnt thrilled Im sure alot a ppl injoyed it ...I'll have to pass on the old school stuff..

7. chdr

chdr Active Member

Say, does anyone know how many edits were made in the CN airing?

8. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

Yeah I like the movie... and yes, even the old-school feel...

But this movie was just underwhelming!

9. konohamaru

konohamaru Salad Ninja

Exactly!! Have to agree with you on that one... ( for me it was to late by the time the whole movie came together..kinda got lost )

10. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

Ok so after just watching JL: New Frontier for the third time, this time it having aired on Cartoon Network, I still don't see what anybody likes about this movie. Dinosaurs??? Why is the Justice League fighting dinosaurs??? These dinosaurs have a floating island and apparently have telepathic abilities? I guess, whatever. I'll stick with my Justice League/JLU DVDs, thank you.
    [​IMG]

11. warnerbroman

warnerbroman Active Member

I just noticed something when jimmy olsen as being attacked wonder woman saved him but when she was hitting the monster he costume looked liked the modern one

12. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This was a pretty good movie. I unfortunately missed some of the beginning which may have made me feel a bit confused later on in the story. I really did like the post-WWII design and feel of the characters though. Batman's voice felt a bit odd at first, but then I got used to it later on in the movie. One of my favorite parts of this movie was how there was more focus on Flash, the GL and J'onz than on Batman and Superman. Don't get me wrong. Batman and Superman are my top two favorite superheroes, but it was nice to have some more focus on other characters that may not get their own series or movie anytime soon. I think that if I watched the whole movie again, I would understand it a bit better. I did liked JFK's speech at the end with all of those images since it worked nice as a way to close the film. Overall, it was an enjoyable and great movie. I personally would watch Gotham Knight over this, but maybe that would change after a second viewing.

13. tb4000

tb4000 Active Member

Gotta ask Darwyn Cooke that one. It's based on the adventures of the JL from the 1950s so.....it's pretty much similar to the stuff they'd dealt with in the era.

14. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Actually, the floating island and dinosaurs thing is a lift from The War that Time Forgot, a recurring plot element of one of DC's war comics that pitted WWII-era soldiers against dinosaurs on a mysterious lost island in the Pacific. It was pretty off-the-wall stuff -- some of the recurring characters included a trio of former circus acrobats in the Marines and a prototype robot soldier who'd get in and out of trouble with his handler. Darwyn Cooke tied those comics into the history of the JLA comics to make the villain of The New Frontier.

And what's wrong with the JLA fighting dinosaurs on a telepathic island? It's not that far-fetched from fighting telepathic, talking gorillas from a secret hidden city deep in Africa or a troop of interstellar cops with magic rings. Besides, except for Dinosaur King :p, adding dinosaurs to nearly anything makes it cooler :D.

-- Ed

15. Mickialla

Mickialla Suave Incarnate

I didn't mind that it was a floating island or that there were dinosaurs on it. I just wished they gave a reason as to WHY it could think and why it was floating and where it came from and why there were mutated dinosaurs on it in the first place. And maybe where it came from and why it was called The Centre, or why it had a whole other dimension inside of it. Otherwise, it was one of the flaws in the movie.

16. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

I guess I'm just one of those DCAU crybabies that is gonna look at anything being put out in this DC Universe as a wasted chance to add to the DCAU universe.

17. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Why can people or animals think? It was just an organism that evolved from millions of years ago. I don't see how that was hard to understand. Same reason why Dinos were on it. It was from the Earth and why does it matter why its name was the centre? Its not a big deal, its nitpicking. In the book it wasn't really another dimension, I believe it was just illusions.

Yes you are, which is fine. The problem becomes when people don't give anything else a chance because the creators want something to stand on its own instead of building an already vast universe of cartoons.

18. Master Moron

Master Moron Active Member

He did that in Justice League Unlimited as well.

19. Racattack!Force

Racattack!Force 私は、ああ、くそっバットマンなんだよ !

It was a different time. It aired a few months early. :shrug:

20. R-Taco

R-Taco Just A Little Bit Crazy

One thing bugged me about this movie. Every single male character looked almost exactly the same. I honestly had a lot of trouble telling Hal, J'onn and Barry apart.