1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs! Get your free key here: Twin Saga Starter Pack Giveaway
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

"Justice League: Season 2" Widescreen DVD Letter Writing Thread (Update: Success!)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Dec 6, 2005.

1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

This thread has been made the "official" thread for discussion on what is a major concern for fans planning to purchase the 2006 release of Justice League: Season Two on DVD. What could this problem be? Well, check out the news link below and read this thread for more details. Thanks to Funkatron for getting this going!

-Justice League Season 2 DVD Aspect Ratio Decision Nears

2. Funkatron

Funkatron Active Member

Justice League Season 2 DVD Widescreen Letter Writing Thread

well, thanks to TZ, we now know Jl season is fullscreen. With that being said, lets get our pens out and our keyboards handy to let WHV know the fans want Justice league in Widescreen, the way it was meant to be.

I'm writing mine tonight when I get home from work. As the mods would day, be polite and courteous and spellcheck, spell check, spell check.

3. PatrickG

PatrickG Guest

Wasn't the first season shot in full screen and then just edited with a bar at the top and bottom for the wide screen showing? I thought they only went to truy wide screen for the second season.

4. Funkatron

Funkatron Active Member

In that case, better to do a pre-emptive strike so that S2 is WS

5. William C. Maune

William C. Maune TZ News Editor in Chief

My understanding is that the episodes were framed for widescreen, just like Season 2. To make the season 2 episodes fullscreen they zoomed in the picture to get rid of the black bars, and thus the sides were cropped off. On the other hand, to make season 1 episodes full screen, animation was added where the black bars would be. Thus, nothing was cropped in the full screen version, but the full screen version included animation that was supposed to be there.

Personally, I really want these episodes in widescreen and I think a letter writing campaign is a great idea.

6. Trevor Balena

Trevor Balena Active Member

That's it, more or less.

I can live with Season 1 in fullscreen, but I'm more worried about the precedent it sets for Season 2.

7. John6777

John6777 Active Member

Yeah Since Season 1 was animated in fullscreen I would much rather it be the way it was animated.

8. ITDEFX

ITDEFX Member

I've gotten use to cartoons being full screen since the 80's :) The only time a cartoon needs to be in widescreen format is when it was a theater released and now going to video. I don't mind it being widescreen, but if the show was never designed for widescreen, instead we were "fooled" with "fake widescreen" then no loss for me. I'm watching a cartoon, not a full length live feature. I will still sign the campaign :p but also i will sign the campaign to CHANGE that artwork for JL Season 1 :(

9. S.C.B

S.C.B Too close.

Maybe we could be given the (har har) option of either fullscreen or widescreen.

10. William C. Maune

11. Funkatron

Funkatron Active Member

Mr. Maune, can you change the title of this thread to " Justice League Season 2 DVD Widescreen Letter Writing Thread ". At least we can pre-eptively let WHV know we want WS season 2

12. maxnugget

maxnugget Avenger of evil and ignorance

I agree, the real danger is that season 2 may be released in fullscreen.

13. FALLEN ELDOR

FALLEN ELDOR Active Member

I'm lazy and dumb. Somebody tell me the address to send it to.

14. FunTurtle

FunTurtle Member

The only Season 1 episodes I'd like to have WS is Secret Origins, Savage Time, and MAYBE Injustice for All...the rest were pretty ho-hum adventures...but yeah, Season 2, and pretty much all of Unlimited should have the WS treatment.

15. John6777

John6777 Active Member

Well is the JLU DVDs in Fullframe or Widescreen. Then there should be a fear but if not then We really have to worry. I figure since JL season 1 was made for Fullframe then it's better to have it in FullFrame. But since Season 2 was infact animated for WideScreen then it should get it's original aspect ratio.

16. b.t.

b.t. Active Member

yes, please, by all means, send those cards and letters....and do it NOW.

we'll be starting special features stuff for season two in the next few weeks, which means a decision on fullscreen or widescreen will need to be made very soon....i've been doing my best to persuade the whv folks to release the season two set (and all subsequent JLU sets) in widescreen, but it's an uphill battle (full-frame format is the standard default mode for "family entertainment" dvd's)....a deluge of (POLITE but emphatic) letters expressing fan support for widescreen dvd sets just might tip the scales....

i debated pushing this issue while we were prepping the season one set, but decided against it....i'd PREFER to have season one released in 1:85, but since those shows were actually made in full-frame format, no visual information is actually being lost (and i argued with myself that the most "complete" version should be on dvd for posterity)....from season two and onward it's a different story....

so plese please PLEASE, if you want season two in 1:85, let whv know.

17. William C. Maune

Does anyone know the best address to which a letter should be written?

18. Simpler Simon

Simpler Simon Always in Style

Now I'm scared.

Seriously, for awhile I thought we were all being overly paranoid and that WHV would naturally release season 2 in widescreen. Don't ask me why, I just figured they'd know to do it that way.

Shows how much I've learned.

So yes, a WHV snail mail address would be very helpful right now.

19. otter

otter Member

Thanks for the heads up. With things looking so good with the new Bats/Supes sets & the JL/Batman Beyond sets announced, I was just assuming Season 2 would be in widescreen. I'll definitely be writing a letter or 2. Since these are under the family banner, maybe I should have my "son" send in a letter just for kicks. I doubt they'd buy it, but it'd be funny seeing a 5-year-old write in asking for widescreen.

Can't seem to find an address for WHV either. Just want to make sure the letters are going to the right place before sending them off.

20. maxnugget

maxnugget Avenger of evil and ignorance

Here's the address info from the BTAS Vol. 4 DVD Extras thread:

We need to get these letters out ASAP (and don't forget, snail mail is slow so mail early!).

If you've got writer's block or want to see what a letter to WHV might look like, check the BTAS Vol. 4 Extras campaign thread. It doesn't have to be long, it can just be a paragraph or two stating your preference for season 2 in widescreen. Just write it and get it in the mail!

The only thing worse than not getting season 2 in widescreen would be not getting it in widescreen because we didn't mobilize and write enough letters in time to make a difference!

#20 maxnugget, Dec 8, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2005