1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Justice League: Original Soundtrack to the Animated Series" Soundtrack Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Jul 26, 2016.

?

Discuss and rate the "Justice League" soundtrack release!

1. *****

100.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Collecting music from the acclaimed Justice League animated series! Now available to order!

[​IMG]

Justice League - Original Soundtrack From The Warner Bros. Television Series, Volume Three
    Label: La-La-Land Records
    Shipping Date: July 26th, 2016
    Synopsis: La-La Land Records, DC and Warner Bros. Animation present the original score to the acclaimed Warner Bros. Television Series Justice League Finally, the soundtrack from one of the most celebrated animated series of the new millennium has arrived, assembled in a deluxe 4-CD set worthy of its titular, legendary superhero team. When Justice League ramped up for its 2001 debut, the composing team of Lolita Ritmans, Michael McCuistion and Kristopher Carter answered the call in super-heroic fashion, creating two full seasons of wondrous music that captured all the series’ action, drama, suspense and fun! Music from more than 20 episodes is featured in this stellar collection, produced by John Takis and mastered by James Nelson. Exclusive, in-depth liner notes by album producer Takis take you behind the show and the score, with comments from the composers, while Dan Goldwasser’s spirited art design springs the packaging into action. This is a limited edition of 3000 units.

Scores include:
    Secret Origins
    The Brave and The Bold
    Legends
    Eclipsed
    The Enemy Below
    Injustice for All
    Paradise Lost
    A Knight of Shadows
    Metamorphosis
    Tabula Rasa
    The Savage Time
    Twilight
    War World
    Only a Dream
    Hearts and Minds
    Wild Cards
    Hereafter
    A Better World
    The Terror Beyond
    Maid of Honor
    Comfort and Joy
    Starcrossed
    And additional tracks!

Complete track listings available at The World's Finest.

Discuss this Soundtrack Release!

Related Threads:
    -Batman: The Animated Series - Volume Four Soundtrack Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: The Animated Series - Volume Three Soundtrack Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: The Animated Series - Volume Two Soundtrack Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: The Animated Series - Volume One Soundtrack Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Superman: The Animated Series - Volume One Soundtrack Talkback (Spoilers)

2. JAG2045

JAG2045 New Member

Glad to see this release following on from S:TAS. I really hope we get a JLU release in the future as I actually prefer the music in that to JL ;)

3. Gabs Sama

Gabs Sama Member

:O :O :O

I wuv you, DC <3

4. John Takis

John Takis Member

The strength of sales will help determine whether and when JLU happens. But we definitely want to do it!

• Like Like x 4
  5. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

Ordered this about half an hour ago. As John Takis has said, the sales figures are so important - I hope this set will do well to ensure that we get both a second volume and a big JLU release! This set's packed with awesome music!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Crow

Crow Active Member

Yowza.

I hope I can still get ahold of this.

Does anybody else notice the seemingly out of sequence track listing? Am I missing something?

7. John Takis

John Takis Member

Yes, you can still get the set! http://www.lalalandrecords.com/Site/JusticeLeagueLE.html

Not sure what you mean by "out of sequence." While the overall arc of the series was an important factor in how we sequenced the scores on disc ("Secret Origins" comes first; "Starcrossed" is last; "Savage Time" and "Twilight" are in the middle, etc.) it was not the ONLY factor. Length, variety and musical flow were also taken into consideration. Within the individual score suites, the only time we took the liberty of nudging a cue out of episode sequence was "Paradise Lost, Part I."

8. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

Maybe you could list your favourite scores (and cues from within those scores) in the music thread, please, and e-mail them to La La Land Records as suggestions for a JLU set. Taking that sort of action will show demand for it and maybe help your favourites find their way onto that release.

Back on topic, I want to say that the JL set's cover is fantastic. The choice of image is hardly surprising, but still, wow.

The decision to go with score highlights rather than full scores for this release is understandable. The alternative would have been to release the full scores for a small number of the season 1 arcs and a small number of the season 2 arcs, leaving out so many great cues. And then imagine if it didn't sell well! I think this set does a better job of representing my favourite cues than the other approach would have. This might well be the way to go with Batman Beyond, in fact, and possibly Teen Titans.

I do hope that a 4-disc JLU set would spotlight 20 or so complete scores though, and I don't see why not. In fact, what LLL could do is have the JLU set focus on 20 of the first 26 episodes of JLU, leaving the Legion of Doom arc for a possible future 2-disc second volume. I'm suggesting this because it would be weird to have the Legion of Doom scores when nothing from JL's Secret Society has been released. So hopefully some of the Secret Society cues will show up in a second volume of JL, to precede a second volume of JLU focusing on the Legion of Doom. Just an idea. If sales are strong, then hopefully this will all come about...

#8 ShadowStar, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  9. WyvernWizard

WyvernWizard New Member

Wow, I'd never thought I'd see the day where the complete soundtrack is released.
    Justice League is one of my favorite shows ever, and the soundtrack just added to the excitement of the fights as well as the majestic opening theme, which really does feel extremely heroic, like you're in the presence of extraordinary beings, almost like gods.
    I think one of my favorite tracks, besides the opening, is the themes in the Wild Cards episode, especially when the Royal Flush Gang first fights the Justice League. It's one of the most exciting episodes and the music there just added to the excitement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Skelly

Skelly Member

Haven't listened to the full thing yet, but I'm very excited to see some of the material from SECRET ORIGINS finally released.

Ritmanis had a particular style back then that I'm beginning to identify. It's very fun to hear a track, check the composer for the episode, and confirm, "Yep, that's her!" I guess I was bound to get familiar with how she composed in those days, since I've listened to Mystery of the Batwoman far too many times! ;)

Am I the only one who hears Walker's Batman theme about 1 minute into "Teaser / Discover Chamber"? Batman isn't in that scene, of course... Mr. Takis, if you're reading this, do you know if McCuistion composed a motif for the aliens that just sort of sounds like the Batman one? Because I think I hear it again 12 seconds into "Metropolis Under Attack". Or is it all a coincidence?

Speaking of motifs, it's so fun to hear all the little musical nods and easter eggs within the music that you could have easily missed amidst all the action watching the cartoon. This is all top-notch work.

One oddity I noticed was contained in the liner notes: it says that each of the three submitted a demo on what they thought the main theme could be. Yet you can hear, in this animatic, that a piece from Harry Robinson's "Twins of Evil" score was temp-tracked in. Were the demos all based on that temp track (in which case I imagine they would all have sounded more or less similar), or was Ritmanis the only one to adhere to it?

11. John Takis

John Takis Member

I am reading this! :) And in this case, any passing resemblance you hear can be safely chalked up to coincidence.

The three demos (which I have not heard) may have been wildly different, or they might have been quite similar. Any composer will tell you that when confronted with a temp, there is no "correct" formula for interpreting what the filmmakers will respond to, so I would hesitate to make any assumptions one way or the other.

12. Skelly

Skelly Member

Sorry - do you mean the Batman resemblance is a coincidence (which I can understand), or do you mean that McCuistion had no specific motif for the aliens in mind, and the similarities between "Teaser/Chamber" and "Metropolis Under Attack" are coincidental as well?

Incidentally, I think it's funny that nearly all the track titles for "Hereafter" read "Supes..." :p

13. John Takis

John Takis Member

The Batman resemblance is a coincidence. Anything recurring WITHIN the episode is probably intentional, though it may be more of a musical callback than a fully developed motif.

14. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

I've only listened to about half of the set so far, and will reserve my full thoughts until I've had the chance to listen to all four discs. In the meantime, I was wondering if you could please give us some examples of cues that nearly made it onto the release but ended up being scrapped, John? Or examples of cues that weren't part of the original 'list', but rather were late additions to the line-up, please? It'd be fascinating to hear more about how this set was compiled since it's so unlike the BTAS sets and the STAS set in the way it's been arranged.

15. John Takis

John Takis Member

The cue selection for Justice League was such a composer-driven process that I would rather defer to them when it comes to providing (or not providing) details about what was selected when, or what almost made the cut. While I was always in the loop, my chief role as producer was to sequence and shape the selected material into album form. If I wind up doing any interviews regarding the album, I'm sure I'll have more to say about that side of things! :)

16. Skelly

Skelly Member

I for one would like to see an interview done with you on how these great compilations are produced - there's obviously more to it than just pressing the CDs!
    (Hint hint, World's Finest! ;))

17. James Harvey

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Skelly

Skelly Member

D'oh! Shoulda know you guys would have covered that base already! :) Thanks for the heads-up.

19. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

I started listening to this set on Wednesday night and finished it yesterday morning, though I've also found the time to copy the music to iTunes and listen to an assortment of tracks on there!

The set is a spectacular compilation of many of my favourite musical moments from the series. I jumped ahead to the third disc straight away and was immediately in awe of the space opera themes of Twilight, especially the grandiose Brainiac theme in 'Darkseid's Doublecross' (a cue written by Kristopher Carter that feels as though it carries more than a touch of Shirley Walker's influence)! You've got to love the sense of scale that the choir brings to that cue, just as it does for 'Steppenwolf Steps Out' and 'Darkseid Gets Hotfoot'. I'm a huge fan of the music in Only a Dream as well, so I could scarcely wait to hear the music for J'onn's interventions in Superman and GL's dreams ('Superman Returns to Smallville' and 'Green Lantern's Decision'). The former contains a sublime reference to the Smallville music from The Last Son of Krypton part 2, while the latter features a wondrous statement of the GL theme from In Brightest Day. Needless to say, I love those cues and it's a DREAM (not sorry at all) come true to finally own them! The serene closing cue from Lolita Ritmanis's Hearts and Minds ('Aftermath') is another highlight of this disc, as is the stupendous theme for the Royal Flush Gang in Wild Cards ('Royal Flush Gang Revealed'), which I am ECSTATIC to have at last! It's one cue that, on previous viewings of the episode, always had me in the mood to 'rock out', and you're really missing out if you haven't heard it yet! Disc 3 also brings Hawkgirl and GL's romantic tension to a (dramatic!) head with 'A Man and a Woman', which was performed live in Krakow this year and is undoubtedly one of JL's most sensational - even breathtaking - cues! And to top it all off, the heroic Superman theme from Hereafter frequently recurs at the end of this disc, preceding the moving 'Savage Redemption' cue that brings the arc to a memorable finish.

But the other discs are pretty damn good too.

Disc 1 takes us through the Secret Origins arc, spotlighting Michael McCuistion's creepy theme for the White Martians and bombastic music for Superman and Batman's desperate battle with the aliens in Metropolis. It also has the glorious 5 minute cue from part 3 when the tide turns and the heroes defeat the invaders ('Batman to the Rescue'). This theme is a joy to hear coming out of those CD speakers - it's uplifting and exciting, plain and simple. It also dovetails into the theme for the League's formation very nicely, making for a wonderful listening experience. It must have been hard to decide on what to follow that triumphant score with, but guess what - 'Flash Catches Truck Thieves' from The Brave and the Bold does so effortlessly. It's been about 10 years since I last watched that two-parter, and I had forgotten just how much fun the music was. This cue marks the exhilarating debut of McCuistion's Flash theme, and there is so much to love about it. The JL's attempted escape from Gorilla City and the brief statements of Grodd's theme are quite nice as well. Ritmanis's Legends is noteworthy, too, for the feeling of nostalgia that pervades the score when it's focusing on the members of the Justice Guild ('The Decoder Rings'). I also appreciate disc 1 for its inclusion of a large chunk of the finale from Eclipsed - particularly Flash's race towards the sun ('Flash Goes for Gold'). And there's great drama interspersed with wonder in the cues from The Enemy Below - the 'Arctic Battle' track feels like a big celebration of the League's might, as they take on the Atlanteans!

There are plenty of great moments on disc 2. Lolita Ritmanis's Injustice For All includes a cheeky theme for the Joker ('A Party Without Me?'), which becomes quite menacing as he subdues Batman for the Injustice Gang. There's also a very pure statement of Shirley Walker's Batman theme at the end ('Luthor's Grand Entrance'). Kristopher Carter's mythical Paradise Lost score is a welcome addition to this disc too, mainly for the supreme (yet foreboding) air that the Felix Faust theme carries ('Returning Home') and the brilliance of the Wonder Woman theme at the end ('Diana Banished'). A Knight of Shadows seems to foreshadow McCuistion's Time's Up! score with its lovely interlude to the imagined setting of a restored Mars, as Morgaine Le Fey tricks J'onn into believing that his wife and children are alive ('Morgaine's Psychic Spell'). This track revels in the happiness of J'onn having what he wants most - at least until the part where Etrigan arrives and shatters the illusion! There are some other very affecting touches towards the end of this disc too, in the form of J'onn coming to his senses in Tabula Rasa ('A Real Hero') and the Wonder Woman/Steve Trevor love theme from The Savage Time ('Enjoy the Moment' and 'Reunited'). That last cue actually made me cry.

For all of that though, I think disc 4 is my favourite of the four discs. McCuistion's A Better World brings home the grandeur of the Justice Lords' power in its opening track ('Smallville University Demonstration'), as well as the lingering feelings of doubt concerning whether their abilities are being used for good. Lord Batman's debate with the other members about whether to cross over to the League's universe is included here too, and it's a cue that has a very cosmic feel. It's just epic. And speaking of epic, the entire 'League vs. Lords' cue is just so exciting to hear with dialogue and SFX removed. From that moment when the penny drops that 'Luthor' is really J'onn, to Superman raising the American flag and Luthor being interviewed by the press, it just delivers all the thrills and chills. But McCuistion isn't the only composer who really gets to show off on disc 4. What about Lolita Ritmanis's tearjerker theme for Grundy's death in The Terror Beyond ('Soul')? It's understated, gentle and bittersweet, capturing the complexity of Hawkgirl both mourning her friend's passing and appreciating that he's at peace. Then we have Maid of Honour, which for me at least is Kristopher Carter's most impressive contribution to this set. The opening cues are charismatic and elegant as they set the scene for Wonder Woman's encounters with Bruce Wayne and Princess Audrey in Paris. Diana's defence of the latter ('Thugs Crash Party') offers the chance for an amazing showcase of the Wonder Woman theme. The excitement continues to build with the recap theme before we're treated to the last few minutes of music from the episode ('Flash Payback' and 'Audrey Ends on Top'), which include a snazzy, pulse-pounding James Bond-esque theme for Savage's meteorite - a huge action track for sure! Then it's on to Comfort and Joy for the divinely beautiful 'Christmas Eve' and 'Merry Christmas' cues (J'onn observing the Christmas celebrations in Smallville and Flash treating Ultra-Humanite to a Christmas present). These cues ought to make listeners very happy - I know they manage it for me, and I think the soft chiming is what achieves this effect, ensuring that these cues tug at the heartstrings. And finally, Starcrossed - I have wanted the last 10 minutes or so of music from part 3 ('Watchtower Reclaimed', 'Talak vs. Green Lantern', 'In My Eyes' and 'Farewell Hawkgirl') for so long, and it really feels like a big deal to me that's it's finally available. The music is the perfect complement to both the high-octane drama of those scenes and the sadness of a beloved character leaving the team. It's a dynamic finish to the set and the series - but would you really expect any less of the Dynamic Music Partners?

I hope that fans all over the world buy this set and enjoy it immensely. It's hard to believe that these 4 discs cover a range of scores from more than 40 of the series' 52 episodes, and yet it all flows so well! I'd love to get my hands on a second, 2-disc volume of further highlights from the show someday. This is great though - it does justice to the League and its 'Trinity' of super-composers (who are indeed worthy of the Bats/Supes/WW comparison) at long last. :)

Those are some of my fav cues - anyone agree/disagree with my choices, or have any they want to flag up and discuss?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #19 ShadowStar, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  20. James Harvey

ShadowStar wrote up a fantastic review for the Justice League soundtrack release. I highly recommend folks hop over to The World's Finest and read his very thorough, detailed breakdown of La-La Land Record's fantastic release!

• Like Like x 1