1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Justice League: Gods And Monsters Chronicles (Short-form Series)" News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, that stinks. I had actually forgotten about season two, so when I saw that the thread had been updated, it was a pleasant reminder. I mean, until I actually read the news. :(

• Like Like x 1
  2. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

It is disappointing. I have no doubt they're probably changing some things. I hope it's not legalities, I'm getting tired of that, especially since WB pretty owns most of their characters.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't know. The movie sales # shouldn't affect the digital series. Machinima ordered the 10 episodes back in May 2015. It's a separate series of costs. I wonder when it was actually shelved, there might be finished footage if it was this year. Hm.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

• Like Like x 2
  5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Bruce Timm did talk a little about Chronicles season 2 in a Q&A at the Paris Comics Expo (props to Driss3000 for posting it elsewhere).

At the 03:48-04:14 mark. He basically said - yes, all scripts are done but they're not sure if the season will be done or not because 'there's so many other things going on right now, they're on the back burner.' Take what you will from that. Maybe it's a combination of him being involved in multiple projects at once and a lot of DC animation projects going on at once, that season 2 was put on hold.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. RoyThomasConan

Good for Timm and Co. I really hope that follow-up gets made, I, like many others here was very interested in seeing it happen.

8. Green-Ghost

Green-Ghost Active Member

So, still "shelved"? Just rewatched the shorts and I would love to see more of this universe, but the silence on season 2 isn't a good sign...

• Agree Agree x 1
    #108 Green-Ghost, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Sam Liu confirmed they only got to scripts and initial design for work on season 2.

• Informative Informative x 4
  10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

We've seen some of the designs already, but I'm curious if anything else will ever see the light of day...

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

I have a feeling that if there is a season two, it will be purely in comics form.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

Tragic that this didn't go forward. Timm had so much enthusiasm for this version of the DC Universe. Oh well, I still loved the movie.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Going by Newsarama's live coverage of the "Spotlight on Bruce Timm" panel at Comic-Con, Timm talked a little about the Flash and Aquaman of the Gods and Monsters universe:
    But I think there was some previous talk about Flash and Grodd possibly appearing before the next season was cancelled.

• Informative Informative x 3
  14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I still like my idea of The Flash being a time-travelling Eobard Thawne :p.

Lori Lemaris as Aquaman (or Aquawoman?) would've been interesting. Given she's traditionaly a Superman love interest, I wonder what kind of dynamic she would have had with Hernan :)?

15. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

The Flash has a plefery of unique villains in his rogues gallery who can challenge him, plus there are several other villains for in the DCU as well, how hard is it for a villain to challenge a super speedster if they can just as easily confront heroes with enhanced strength, or even magic?!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Toddman

Toddman Hulk not good with words.

Those villains work in the comics because the writer and artist can dictate the speed of the interaction between characters using captions and inner monologue which the audience can read at its own pace.

Live action and animation doesn't work that way. Just watch the Flash TV show and you'll see countless examples of the Flash entering the scene to confront a bad guy, but instead of making the logical move of instantly disarming the villain and hauling him off to police HQ in a fraction of second, the Flash will instead slide into the scene several yards away from the villain and engage in banter with him before actually doing anything.

Timm obviously feels like that's too ridiculous of a scenario to portray properly.

Toddman

• Like Like x 2
  17. Troy Troodon

It's Superheroes, of course something's gonna look ridiculous.

18. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think that would be less of an issue for animation given, like in the comics, the medium allows for more dynamic and fast-paced visuals and storytelling then what you can probably do on a live-action TV show on a TV show budget.

19. Toddman

Toddman Hulk not good with words.

That's not really an excuse for illogical or poor storytelling.

It's not a question of visuals, it comes down to real life timing.

A comic book can depict action which takes place in a 1/10th of second using pages of exposition and numerous panels to narrate the action. It's up to the reader to manage his or her own pace in how fast the action "moves."

Unless you want everything on screen to run in slow motion (which is especially awkward looking in traditional animation - which is why it's rarely if ever used) the same technique cannot be applied. The viewer consumes on-screen visuals at a fixed rate of speed.

Super speed on screen needs to be super fast - - unless you like the slo-mo approach used by The Six Million Dollar Man in the 1970's.

Toddman

20. Troy Troodon

No it's not, but as long as the story achknowledges it's own absurdity and suspension of disbelief, while it's still good of course, then it's partly justified.

• Like Like x 1