1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Justice League: Gods And Monsters Chronicles (Short-form Series)" News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Sep 17, 2014.

1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Since this is an alternate universe, it could be pretty much anything. An entirely new character or even a female version of Barry Allen or Wally West, or any of the others. Not to get too much off-topic here, but on a recent episode of Ultimate Spider-Man, he travels to a parallel universe where he meets Spdier-Girl, a reversed-gender version of Peter Parker named Petra Parker. So they didn't use any of the characters who had the Spdier-Girl identity from the comics (at least as far as I know, and after checking Wikipedia :sweat:). They just might do the same for Flash on Gods and Monsters. Of course, we'll just have to wait and see but speculating is fun.

As for Green Lantern, I think it would be funny if they used an updated Alan Scott, since he's had the least animated appearances so far.

2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

6/21:Unfortunately, at the upfront, it was revealed he's like a fishy alien Green Lantern -- so unless he's the Abin Sur of this AU, the next GL wasn't chosen from Earth but some place else in the sector.

7/11: The SDCC 2015 edition of TV Guide had an article of Gods and Monsters and revealed a few more things about season 2!

1) Mary Marvel - while darker, "she's still very pure with a heart of gold," Timm promises

2) and a version of Steel that will be a mash-up of John Henry Irons and the Hank Heywood character DC first published in his own comic in the late 1970s

3) And there will also be the introduction of the Green Lantern Corps. "We wanted to embrace the absolute sci-fi-ness of the Green Lanterns," says Timm. "In this version, aliens aren't commonplace. We figured if the Green Lanterns showed up, it would be a big-ass first-contact story."

Here's the whole scanned article in its entirety. Click for full view.
    [​IMG]

3. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The Green Lantern stuff sounds pretty promising. So we have GL, Mary Marvel, Flash and Steel confirmed so far for the next season (unless I missed anyone else).

Wonder if they'll give the Steel/Commander Steel mash-up a look similar to Marvel's Iron Patriot. :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm interested in Steel as well. With Mary Marvel, I wonder if it was just her and no others, not even Billy. Can't wait to see 'em.

5. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

The designs were shown off.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  6. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Those designs look pretty awesome.

Green Lantern kind of looks like Saint Walker. He also reminds me a little of a character from Ben 10, called Rook.

That patriotic Steel armor is cool. And Mary Marvel looks nice as well.

• Like Like x 1
  7. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

My fave of those is Mary Marvel. I feel like I have seen that kinda image before, maybe a Deviant Art fanpic. The other two look odd to me, and it seems Green Lantern looks completely alien. No problem at all with it.

I'll say my least fave of the three is Commander Steel. I never really liked the character anyway, so I'm not sure how it could've pleased me at all.

8. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

From the three designs released I'm mostly looking forward to the new Green Lantern. I'm also intrigued by that "lady Flash" that was mentioned a while ago.

Mary Marvel could be pretty interesting too, especially if she's the only member of the Marvel Family in this universe.

I admit I don't know much about Commander Steel, and I'll probably always think of him as the Captain America knock-off that threw a mighty shield during JLU's final episode. I'm guessing there's more to the character in the comics, though.

• Like Like x 1
  9. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

They said in this universe he's a combination of the better-known Steel (the one who works with Superman) and Commander Steel so it looks like it's John Henry Irons as a patriotic cyborg.

• Like Like x 1
  10. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

Off topic but am I the only one who thinks that this Amanda is sort of attractive

11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Has season 2 been confirmed to take place after the movie? So that means Sivana probably won't be in the Mary Marvel episode, though maybe they'll introduce the Gods and Monster version of Black Adam in that? Mary looks pretty cool :cool:.

Definitely curious how they'll handle Green Lantern, and if the Corps. still works the same way as they do in the regular DCU or if it'll be very different. There's a lot of potential in focusing on an alien GL and all the unique attributes and elements that would bring :).

His chest emblem is a Lantern, but I wonder if his powers will still include constructs? Also wondering the identity of the GL will be...Abin Sur? An altered Saint Walker?

Steel is basically Iron Patriot :p.

12. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

7/13: Essentially yes. On the record, Bruce Timm only stated season 2 is a follow up to season 1 and the movie and it would help to watch the movie before watching season 2.

9/7: Back in June, Shane Glines posted concept art of Harlequin here and here on his instagram.

4/3/16: Bad news. Apparently season 2 has been shelved until "some stuff is worked out." :(

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Man, that's really disappointing :sad:..

I wonder why, though? Especially given they had already gotten to the point where the lead characters (Green Lantern, Mary, and Steel) had been fully designed. Were Gods and Monsters sales no up to snuff? Or is WB Animation working/figuring out where they want to go with the universe and its tie-ins o_O?

14. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

The only way that could possibly be good is if they're weighing doing a movie instead of another miniseries. Ugh. I'd much rather see this than a comic book adaptation if we've got to have darker DC animated movies being made.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

It's puzzling definitely. I wonder where the issue lay, between DC, WBA, or Machinima? Maybe a character's rights were tied up in legalities and they discovered it late into production? Or like Frontier said, maybe bad sales? Or as GWOtaku postulated, maybe they want to fold it into a movie sequel down the road... now I really hope someone asks Mr. Timm about it at that Paris Expo in two weeks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Harlequinn

Harlequinn Joker's Henchman

Well that's utterly disappointing. We can't even get a short-form online serious toned DC series.

17. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Disappointing news. Hope they will manage to sort things out eventually and we'll get at least another project set in the Gods and Monsters universe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Wonder what stand alone film they'll put up for next year, in the mean time?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

Ah man... I thought this was some much needed news when the thread got bumped.

God & Monsters was the lowest selling DTV of 2015, so perhaps that affected WB's interest moving forward? A real shame, I so wanted more adventures in this world.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

Hmm, could this have something to do with DC not being able to use the name Captain Marvel anymore (at least, I assume they can't, as he's been going by Shazam for a while now and Marvel seem to be pushing the Captain Marvel name for Carol Danvers...)? Because if so, then what would they call Mary Marvel? Maybe they can't call her that, and it's causing issues?

Mind you, even if all of that turns out to be true, it would probably take something more significant to cause the whole thing to be shelved. Pfeiffer-Pfan is probably right about poor sales.