"Justice League: Gods And Monsters Chronicles (Short-form Series)" News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

No, we don't know it's using the Timmverse designs or if Phil Bourassa is involved. Shane Glines was working on the movie with Timm. It's possible he's character designer on this Chronicles 3 parter, too.

2. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

No, you're right. There has been no confirmation on a character designer as of yet.

However, I would prefer it if Phil Bourassa wasn't associated with this one. His 'Justice League' designs are now connected to the New 52 in the DVD line, and as this is out of continuity, it would need something fresh. I would love it if Glines got a proper stab at designing.

3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

What work has Shane Glines done in terms of DC Animation? I can't say I'm acquainted with the name.

It would be nice to see Phil Bourassa finally take a break from being the main designer, if only because of all the design work he's already done for the DTV line and for DC animation in general. I'd say he's earned one :sweat:.

4. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Shane Glines has worked with Bruce Timm heavily on most of the DCAU shows.

He was a character/prop designer on Superman: The Animated Series, The New Batman Adventures, Batman Beyond (in which he was very involved) and Justice League. He also inked some of the Harley & Ivy mini-series that Timm and Dini did, as well as some Gotham Girls covers.

Most recently he has been one of the prominent designers working alongside Glen Murakami on Beware the Batman.

5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

It does appear that Mr. Bourassa is only main designer for the New 52/Animated movies. So 2 of the 3 each year. The one-off movie appears to be done by someone else. Suzuki was Assault on Arkham and it looks like Timm and Glines are doing Gods & Monsters though Glines may get the credit. Don't know. It will be awhile until we learn more I imagine. There's still Throne of Atlantis and Batman vs. Robin PR to go through.

Pfeiffer-Pfan nailed that down. Mr. Glines has been involved in DC animation since 1994. I believe he was inspired to work on it after watching B:TAS and reading the Mad Love comic. I think it was in this interview: Spyvibe

6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I looked him up, and his art is really great. Looking forward to seeing what he and Bruce Timm come up with, and it would be cool if he ended up as the main designer for Gods and Monsters :).

Yojimbo, had Suzuki done any DC animation work before Assault?

7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Me, too.

He has. I think he's been around since Teen Titans and The Batman doing character design. Then he's been on the design team for a couple of the DCU movies before becoming the main designer on Assault. I'm fairly sure he's part of the group that got their start in the late 90s in Sony animation and later moved on to do work at WBA like directors Sam Liu and Jay Oliva.

8. Indeed! Bruce Timm rocks! Pre-ordering this disc for sure. Looking forward to seeing more Bruce Timm Justice League!

#28 nightwingscot614, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  9. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

And we haven't even seen season one yet :sweat:.

11. Nightwing26

Nightwing26 Active Member

At least we know it's coming in June...

12. Dayspring

Dayspring Active Member

#32 Dayspring, May 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2015
  13. Riddler

Riddler Active Member

Well that's exciting! I was getting worried that they might have scrapped the Chronicles series in favor of the comic book series because there hasn't been much said about it recently. Now they are announcing even more episodes before the first ones even air! Awesome!

This is really turning into its own little franchise.

14. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Hmm, so there 3 episodes in releasing in June 2015. 10 episode second season in 2016. Wonder Woman is from a warring nation called Ares... not a lot of info but beggars can't be choosers I guess.

15. Lord Sidious

Lord Sidious Active Member

Do we have to pay for subscription like Netflix for this?

Or can we watch this on youtube??

16. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Just to note, the actual announcement posted on DC Comics concerning Justice League: Gods and Monsters Chronicles features images directly from first season episodes. Click here for more.

17. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So it seems like this Diana is still a Greek-inspired warrior, just one of a more Ares-inspired persuasion than Athena :sweat:.

Which makes me wonder even more how the heck she got involved with the New Gods...

18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

As I recall, the New Gods and Olympian Gods did have a connection through the Godwave. Even a couple New Gods went to Europe back in the day, even Darkseid - well Uxas. Plus, it seems there's still a strong connection between them in the New 52 with some of Darkseid's progeny.

19. Pfeiffer-Pfan

I'm genuinely surprised that WB have put so much faith into this concept. Perhaps it's the Bruce Timm name, or perhaps they simply want to expand their scope outside the DVD line to create longer interest and more sustained income.

I'm excited all the same. DC animation just isn't the same without Mr Timm.

20. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Blastr had an interesting summary of the Machinima upfront - a clip description and bits about season two.
    Machinima unveils programming slate with DC Comics, Clive Barker, Roberto Orci...and Robocop | Blastr