1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Justice League Dark/Dark Universe" Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Magmaster12, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I also think Suicide Squad's success, at least compared to BvS, might've convinced Warner Bros. that making another strong team ensemble with a different style then what people expect from the DCEU so far would be a good idea :).

I don't know about Tatum...he seemed to be the one really pushing for the movie to get made, just like Reynolds was pushing for Deadpool, and committed to doing research to get prepared for the role. I feel like that shows a lot of enthusiasm for the property on his part ;).

2. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Yeah, but Tatum is the ONLY one pushing for it. Every Deadpool fan has been begging Reynolds for a solo since Origins came out. Then he was campaigning FOX in fans behalf. No one has asked or clamored for a Gambit solo film.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Given the odds of a Shadowpact movie are incredibly low, it seems like a Justice League Dark movie would be a good time to introduce Detective Chimp if DC wanted someone to counter Rocket Raccoon's appeal.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

I'm not going to bet on the likelihood of Detective Chimp showing up in the DU movie except perhaps as an easter egg.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. the greenman

Doug Liman talks about this:

http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/10/28/director-doug-liman-talks-justice-league-dark-movie

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

"Unconventional takes" seems to be the rule of the day for the DCEU :sweat:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. the greenman

I personally always knew that about WB, and want that from them. My major issue is them trying to have a connective universe with no clear direction.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

I think they had a direction in 2011, but then Green Lantern bombed and they didn't know what to do next. Man of Steel was hurried into production and they've been playing catchup ever since.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

I don't think Green Lantern had plan either since they killed off Amanda Waller in it, it was equally rushed out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Spideyzilla

Just because she died doesn't mean she wasn't going to be a part of the future, I remember Angela Bassett saying she wanted to be DC's answer to Nick Fury. As we all know, death is comic book world is a temporary setback. It may not have been a good direction, but I think they had an idea of what to do. It wouldn't have been hard to tie MOS and Green Lantern together. Green Lantern shows up during Zod's invasion to aid Superman, the two bond later, and boom, universe begins. That actually would have been cool to see Green Lantern come in.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

The direction seems pretty clear to me. Darkseid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. the greenman

Yojimbo, I consider him a destination on most DC properties. Well, Geoff Johns did have plans for a Flash film amd also Hawkman. You could say we are seeing the results of what could have been in the films on the CW Arrowverse (as Berlanti was involved with GL and planned Flash). They certainly had a plan, but it's unclear who to blame. I want to suspect Johns, but still not certain.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Spideyzilla

A variety of factors. MOS, BVS and GL underperforming, a desire to compete with Marvel, poor development in actually getting movies made, classic growing pains in developing a series and poor organization. DC never really had a steady hand at the wheel, whereas Kevin Feige has been the head of Marvel since day one, and he's been doing a great job of steering it. DC hasn't had that. I remember after MOS came out, I read a report that said DC was considering making David S. Goyer their version of Feige. I was amazed, why hadn't that been done already? I know Johns is now the head of DC Films, but that means that three movies in this universe were released with no one at the helm with Wonder Woman and Justice League also in active production before Johns was appointed. Hopefully Johns can get them on track.

14. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Oh, you mean behind the scenes, someone leading the charge. Yeah, that's more the fault of the way WB/DC is structured vs Marvel Studios.

In any case, on topic, I'm hoping Dark will be a nice divergence from the main thru line the same way Guardians of the Galaxy is for the MCU.

I might be mixing it up, but I thought Arad was the head then Feige got promoted around the time of Iron Man and basically ascended from that point?

15. Spideyzilla

Feige was named head of Marvel Studios in March 2007. Granted, Iron Man and Hulk would have been in development by then.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'd like to think other Comic book movies think of themselves as character driven as well :sweat:.

It's going to be kinda weird seeing this film develop with the animated movie still fresh in my mind :confused:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, back to the drawing board then :sweat:.

20. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty much the DCEU's credo.

• Agree Agree x 1