1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs! Get your free key here: Twin Saga Starter Pack Giveaway
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

"Justice League Dark" Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Jan 24, 2017.

?

"Justice League Dark" - Rate and Discuss this animated movie!

1. *****

16.7%
  2. ****1/2

16.7%
  3. ****

50.0%
  4. ***1/2

5.6%
  5. ***

5.6%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

5.6%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

I guess one of those nitpicks that tends to bug me is that powers are often written to suit the story, instead of the story fitted around the character's powers. WW's bracelets and lasso are two objects that have traditionally been classified as magic proof, but a lot of writers tend to ignore this because that's what the plot calls for. You can't zap her with magic energy blasts, and her lasso has protected her from spells of deception. Maybe that's not enough to save the day in this case, but that's still bringing a lot more to the table than Batman does against a magic based threat. Any defense against magic is better than zero defense!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I feel like they balanced it enough for Wonder Woman so far. The lasso helped free her from Trigon's Corruptor demon's possession but here she couldn't resist Destiny's influence.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

I still need to watch this a second time. But for the most part, I enjoyed what I saw. I would've liked to have seen Wonder Woman a little more, since I really love this version of her.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Interview with Ernie Altbacker
    -At one point, Zatanna wasn't in the movie
    -They toyed with using Madame Xanadu
    -Etrigan was the toughest to write for him, he tried to pitch olde English with contemporary in his rhymes but was rejected, Burnett helped him with the rhymes

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

Honestly I was pretty bored throughout most of this movie. The animation and action scenes were top notch, but everything else to the story and characters were so boring and bland I felt bored halfway into the movie.

It's been said the main cast felt so bland, they were right. Zatanna had virtually no personality. Constantine and the Dead guy just made quips all movie. Batman was just there. Etrigan was....Etrigan.

And man these movies go on way too long. A good 20 minutes could have been trimmed to improve the pacing. Hell I think Swamp Things scenes should have been omitted entirely, he had no real point in the film. The purple lady/woman or whatever the hell that was had no point either.

Really boring film. Shame because the action scenes and animation were nice eye candy, but everything else about it was dull.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

• Like Like x 2
  7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

From the sounds of it, it seems like next time we (possibly) see him Swamp Thing will be dealing with having his humanity ripped out of him and effectively no longer being Alec Holland, like in the Alan Moore run :cool:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Venkman182

Venkman182 New Member

Hey all, just watched the movie and loved it but was confused about one thing, we find that Felix Faust created that tornado & crap monster to attack the JLD, but I don't understand why? If Ritchie was the guy behind everything & Felix didn't have anything to actually do with Ritchie other than being framed, then why did Faust start attacking the JLD in the first place? Am I missing something here? Thanks for any help all.

9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Just defending his house?

10. Venkman182

Venkman182 New Member

Yeah, I get why he battles them at that point, but much earlier before Faust is even thrown up as a red herring you see his hands using magic to create that tornado & again a little later to make that feces monster. Like why is he attacking them all that time prior to the big battle at his house? There seems to be no reason for it, I mean is he just bored and needs something to do?

11. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I wrote off as it was Destiny, not Faust that did the conjuring and the audience was misled. I'll have to rewatch the movie.