"Justice League Dark" Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Jan 24, 2017.

?

"Justice League Dark" - Rate and Discuss this animated movie!

1. *****

16.7%
  2. ****1/2

16.7%
  3. ****

50.0%
  4. ***1/2

5.6%
  5. ***

5.6%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

5.6%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

La-La Land Records will release the score for Justice League Dark on February 14, 2017. The Limited Edition CD Soundtrack release will have a pressing of 1500 copies. More details can be found at The World's Finest.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

2/5: Oliva talked about spell designs on his twitter:

He wanted the good magic to be based on elven script and the demon magic to look more harsh and archaic.

Constantine's runes are based on whatever item he is using or spell since he can cast both light and dark magic.

Destiny and Faust's runes are also based on their own type of Dark magic. The colors of the runes were all based on the person.

2/6: First impressions, like JLvsTT, JLD was what this movie continuity needed and good stop in populating and expanding with magic and the supernatural. Faust was a great red herring - loved Constantine's summary of him. Only gripe that stands out to me was Black Orchid. Bit of a shoe horn, rather they saved her for another movie.

• Like Like x 1
    #42 Yojimbo, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  3. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

For those interested, after a little delay, The World's Finest has posted up its review of Justice League Dark. In short, Justice League Dark is the strongest Justice League movie in the revamped era of the DC Universe Animated Original Movie line to date. While each of these DC Comics animated movies have always explored new facets of the DC Universe, to varying degrees of success (usually positive), there’s something a little different about this one. It’s engrossing and interesting, rife with seemingly limitless possibilities. To read the complete review, click on the image below.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  4. Lord Sidious

Lord Sidious Active Member

Wow!!! Total epic letdown!

Dialogue and characters are not very interesting.

Dr. Strange live action movie did better in introducing magic to Marvel Universe.

While this failed epically.

If you are into these characters to begin with then you will love it

BUT introducing these to new GA then it failed and the sales will guarantee that this will be the last animated movie of JL Dark.

5. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

Well, that's one opinion, Lord Siddy. Other reviews have skewed much more positive, some calling this the best DCUAOM in ages. I liked it quite a bit, though I don't think it really earned its 'R' rating (and realizing that was not actually a goal for anyone). Predictions aside, it will be interesting to see if the real sales figures bear you out or not.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Another criticism is how they introduced Wonder Woman and Superman dealing with the suspects, and how coldly they are portrayed, while Batman of course was the only rash and comprehensive individual... again making him look better than all the rest.

I agree sir, it is art after all, and art is supposed to be subjective to different individuals; though given the bloody and especially intense and disturbingly harsh imagery, I say it definitely deserved the 'R' rating. (then again that might be me getting into my own quip on the MPAA rating system)

• Like Like x 2
    #46 Troy Troodon, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  7. Ed Liu

Ed Liu Frog of Thunder
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

My feelings about the movie up on the News now, too. I thought it was really enjoyable despite whatever quibbles I had with it (mostly that Zatanna spends most of the movie as Constantine's floating ex-girlfriend, Swamp Thing is pretty extraneous, and the big fight at the end looked like a bunch of magic people/demons/things swatting a giant glowing hamster ball around a city). It's the kind of fun that I had with the Wonder Woman DTV, where the stuff it did right was SO right that I could consciously ignore things like the giant amphibious water landing of the Amazons on a non-existent beach in Washington, DC.

The moment in Felix Faust's library almost makes up for Zatanna being CFEG for most of the movie, where I thought it was clear that she doesn't use magic as much as she can because she's holding back. It's a control thing. Would have been nicer if they had done something with this (like having her use more and learn to control it better by the end of the movie), but maybe the next one.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I interpreted that as : Out of the three, Batman retains his composure in the field plus I think unfortunately, he wasn't shocked by a murder-suicide attempt in Gotham. In addition, based the amount of pings on the world map of incidents during the JL meeting, I also got the impression Superman and Wonder Woman were at that breaking point and another bunch of murders they failed to stop got to them reacting coldly.

On Zatanna and Swamp Thing -- I felt like they might have been holding back for them to get the focus in the next JLD or a solo movie and that this movie was really more of a Constantine movie than a JLD one and 'JLD' as the title was a compromise because 'JL' is the selling point and whatever marketing assertions.

EDIT: Recording of the JLD panel in New York (some language). 42:14.
    *O'Mara's 1st recording was April 2015
    *Tucker mainly drew the messed up stuff - fecal monster was his idea
    *Would have put in the cigarette if they knew it was R, but not sure if allowed, cite the monster
    *Oliva added in the Mononoke influence to the fecal monster

• Like Like x 1
    #48 Yojimbo, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  9. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

I really enjoyed this one. Some stunning animation, excellent score work by Robert J. Kral and fresh, interesting characters.

They need to update their 'New 52' designs though. Superman and Wonder Woman in particular look awful.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

Around the 30 min mark of this podcast, Jay Oliva talks about Justice League Dark. He also talks about his other movies and working on the DCEU for any interested.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

Don't quite get why this was an R. Excepting the S bomb, even the language was fairly tame. Constantine stole the show. Surprised at the character deaths. Jason O'Mara just has no presence as Batman. I know I'm hung up on Conroy, but God, I miss him. Still don't know why Batman has to hang with the JLD other than to try to sell the movie. The rest of JL was barely in it. I see Andrea Romano has retired, and I hardly recognize anyone in the storyboard crew. I guess I'm getting old, lol. Decent, but unspectacular.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Troy Troodon

Because the bloody violence, disturbing imagery and atmosphere, and very subjective scenery like people beating and killing each other.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

As far as I know, Romano hasn't retired, though she has moved on to other things (such as the NetFlix Voltron series).

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Rama Kushna told Deadman to go to Batman. From there, he got wrapped up in the main story.

I would guess the murder shack and the suicide at the beginning sealed the R rating.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Troy Troodon

Frankly I'm still scratching my head as to how Flashpoint, JLWar, Throne of Atlantis, and the Batman/Damian movies got away with being PG-13.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Uh, because they didn't have suicide or a murder shack? :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Bestmand902

Bestmand902 Active Member

Batman vs Robin ;)

18. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

The story probably works better if only Batman is tagging along with JLD because of the comedy value and Batman's lack of intrusiveness to allow JLD to do their things. Nonetheless, I'd say it certainly felt like purely a marketing decision to make Batman the only main JL member involved. If you wanted to be in-universe practical, for a magic threat there are certainly better JL team members to choose, particularly WW or Shazam.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Troy Troodon

That goes for murder too ;)

20. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't know. A mother who kills herself after almost killing her infant is more drastic than Talon using Robin to kill himself.

Rama Kushna made the pragmatic choice, imo. She knew telling Deadman to clue Batman onto Constantine would lead him to Zatanna which would guarantee Constantine looking into things. Though you could argue Rama didn't care what became of Batman after that point.

I disagree. Their powers are tied to magic but they can't cast it. In terms of defense, WW or Shazam didn't fare too well against Orm's trident. WW didn't last long against Destiny in this movie before she succumbed. Same would have happened to Shazam, imo. I am curious if a Nth metal mace would have helped, heh.

• Like Like x 1