1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Justice League Action "Shazam Slam!" Series Premiere Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Dec 16, 2016.

?

"Justice League Action" - Rate and discuss the series premiere!

1. *****

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. ****1/2

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. ****

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  4. ***1/2

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Tune in to the long-awaited premiere of Justice League Action! The show debuts with a 4-part special episode tonight at 6:00PM ET on Cartoon Network!

[​IMG]

The world’s greatest Super Heroes return to television in Justice League Action, an all-new animated series. Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman lead the DC Super Heroes against their most infamous foes in adventures packed with relentless thrills, fun and action. Whether defending the Earth, facing invaders from space, or battling the bizarre forces of magic, the always-rotating team of Justice League heroes, are up to any challenge.

Justice League Action: "Shazam Slam!"
    Debut - December 16th, 2016
    Written by - Heath Corson and Patrick Rieger
    Directed by - Jake Castorena and Doug Murphy

The villainous Black Adam battles Batman on the Rock of Eternity and unleashes a horde of Djinn determined to turn the Earth back to its pre-human, volcanic state. Affected by the otherworldly powers of these primordial monsters, Batman becomes possessed and is turned into a giant flying Batmonster laying waste to the Hall of Justice, with only Superman capable of taking the fight to the Dark Knight. One by one, the Justice League - with the help of Shazam (voiced by Sean Astin) and The Wizard (voiced by Carl Reiner) - must hunt down and defeat each Djinn in order to yet again save the world from destruction.

Discuss the series premiere!

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Additionally, please use spoiler tags if you want to discuss episodes that have already aired in other countries before premiering on Cartoon Network in the US.

• Like Like x 2
  2. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Just to repost, The World’s Finest has reviewed the four-part Justice League Action “Shazam Slam!” series premiere, the kick off for the latest animated series based on DC Comics’ fabled superhero roster. In short, Justice League Action “Shazam Slam!” is a promising kick-off for the new DC Comics-based animated series and, while it skews to a younger audience, there’s still plenty for fans of all ages to enjoy. More importantly, it reminds us that super heroes can be fun! To read the whole review, which is accompanied by new images and a clip, click on the image below.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  3. HEATXZ

HEATXZ Duck Knght

Awesome Episodes :D
    This show has a lot of great action in it
    Also nice to see my Favorite Hero Plasticman again an was surprise to see John Constantine
    Looking forward to see more episodes

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Y'know, I watch a lot of Superhero cartoons, but I have to say it's been a while since I've watched something as fun and enjoyable as this premier for Justice League Action. After waiting so long for this series, it's nice to finally have, not only another DC action cartoon on TV, but an equal part awesome and entertaining DC Superhero show that I can look forward to on a consistent basis :D.

Certainly it's a series that's very oriented towards fast-paced action and humor, but it does both aspects very well and with great respect to the characters and the DC Universe. The action sequences are hard-hitting and dynamic, the humor genuinely funny and worthy of a good chuckle, and through it all the characters are all treated relatively in-character and as the great heroes that they are, while the show still has a lot of fun with them. It's all I could hope for from a DC cartoon, and definitely feels in a similar vein to the original Teen Titans and Brave and the Bold :).

And while the show is probably not going to have the kind of in-depth and intricate world-building of Earth-16, we still get the feel of a very big and fleshed out DC Universe over the course of these four episodes as we see multiple heroes, villains, and concepts/places come together. And the designs, while very stylized and cartoony, work very well in animation and with the series' tone, and the characters are all still fairly recognizable.

I'm not surprised that the opening of the series, at least as far as the US airing, was very Batman-centric, though pairing him with the Wizard (voiced with both great wisdom and humor by the legendary Carl Reiner) made for some good humor. With the similar feel to Brave and the Bold that this series has, having a Batman team-up to start things off felt very fitting ;).

Gary Cole was certainly an...interesting choice for Black Adam. I wouldn't say he was completely miscast, since I think his performance improved over the course of Adam's screentime, but it was definitely not the kind of voice I would ever expect to hear coming out of villain like Black Adam o_O.

That being said, I thought this was a fairly good showing for Shazam's nemesis, as he served as the overall main villain of the special and proved a very challenging opponent for Shazam and the Justice League. I especially liked the effect of his black lightning :cool:.

Sean Astin returns as Cap-I mean, Shazam, and also voicing Billy this time around as well. I kind of wish they had gotten Tara Strong back because, while the idea of Billy and Shazam sharing the same voice is interesting, Astin wasn't really able to pull it off that well in my opinion. There's a reason the Big Red Cheese usually has two different VA's attached to him (one for Billy, and one for Shazam) :ack:.

Always nice to get a solid Shazam vs. Black Adam fight ;).

Jason Lewis is a solid Superman, almost sounding like a softer Tim Daly at some points. As far as characterization goes, Supes here is strong, compassionate, clever, and not afraid to smile. What more could one want from a depiction of the Man of Steel :proud:?

Rachel Kimsey's Wonder Woman has a lot of spunk to go along with her Amazon warrior personality, and she also tells it like it is. Also nice to see that, while Diana has a sword and shield here, she's perfectly willing to forego both for her fists and lasso :D.

So Jimmy (voiced by Max Mittleman who well-represents Jimmy's youth and pluck) is the Daily Planet's online cameraman here? Neat little update for him, though he still apparently hasn't moved on from bow ties...but it was nice seeing Jimmy show up and manage to help Superman and Wonder Woman, and he had some really funny lines :anime:.

Never underestimate the power of the Lasso of Truth, both in revealing villains' plot or in it's ability to subdue it's wielder :sweat:.

Jimmy mentioned "Ms. Lane," so I hope we get to see Lois make an appearance soon :).

Cool use of Martian Manhunter in this episode, bringing him in and using his weakness to fire to work against the Djinn's absorption ability. J'onn's attempts at humor were also cute, and Cripsin Freeman delivers a surprisingly solid Martian Manhunter :cool:.

As someone who watches Arrow on a regular basis, I have to say just how refreshing it it is to see a classic, jovial, and snarky Green Arrow showcased so well in this series. Ollie's lines were some of the funniest moments in the episode and Chris Diamantopoulos (reprising from the Batman Unlimited movies) continues to deliver a great Green Arrow performance :D.

So Wonder Woman is in contact with Olympus and the Greek Gods? Interesting. Curious to see how much of that pantheon we might see show up on the show, and I can definitely imagine Ares as a possible antagonist :evil:.

Wow, they fit in an "I Am Batman" a lot earlier then I was expecting. And of course Khary Payton's first line as Cyborg is a classic "Booyah" ;).

Diedrich Bader plays a fun Booster Gold, who's already setup as having an...interesting relationship with Batman. I guess Batman has to one-punch somebody when Guy Gardner isn't around :p.

Poor Hall of Justice. We only get to see a little of it before it gets completely trashed during Superman's fight with the Djinn :(.

Neat adaption of the Demons Three here with the final Brothers Djinn, and the "costume switcheroo" plan was fun. As was Plastic Man developing a taste for crossdressing :rolleyes2:.

Ahead of their appearance in the Justice League Dark movie next year, Constantine and Swamp Thing make their animated debuts here, which is pretty cool (and demonstrates that the show is willing to showcase less conventional and more obscure characters) :cool:.

Mark Hamill was a little more energetic then I was expecting for Swamp Thing, but he still looked pretty cool here, and while it was a little disappointing not to have Matt Ryan reprise the role here, Damian O'Hare does a solid John Constantine. Though I'm curious to hear what John sounds like when his accent isn't exaggerated :p?

I see what the show was doing with that lollipop in Constantine's mouth :rolleyes2:.

I hope that "Justice League...Action!" line is just going to be a one-time thing from Batman :sweat:.

Nice Green Lantern cameo at the end there :D.

So the League's main base is going to be a mountain Watchtower? Interesting, especially given it's a fair departure from how the Watchtower is usually depicted (particularly given it's not in space). It is a cool visual though ;).

• Like Like x 5
  6. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Man, that felt like coming home after a LONG trip away. It was excellent too. Thanks, Cartoon Network, for giving superheroes another chance.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Yes, I was getting some Daly deja-vu as well. I think Lewis and Kimsey have some great chemistry and given their characters' differing view points, should be fun to see the two paired.

Kryptonite would have worked but the irony of making Calythos weak against fire was hilarious. Though it was funny they beat Earth-16 Parasite the same way, too.

I think I'm going to love this pairing as well.

Yeah, the training session replay was one of my favorite scenes.

Totally. Seeing a lot of rooms in the Hall just for it to go to pieces in its first appearance. I guess they didn't want to bother with building permits and just took over the volcano.

Mark Hamill as Swamp Thing is something I'm still not sure about so I'll need to watch more of his guest appearances on the show for it to sink in.

Hopefully. But it was totally a jab at Titans...Go!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

Justice League Action, my next favorite awesome new DC action series after Young Justice/Green Lantern: The Animated Series, I'm glad Cartoon Network finally shows some action shows.

Episodes 1,2,3,and 4 were pretty awesome/enjoyable,

Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman look awesome in the new design style, Kevin Conroy to return as Batman was epic.

Cool seeing my favorite awesome DC superheroes Green Arrow, Captain Marvel, Booster Gold, and Plastic Man in it, yaaaaaay, all of their funny moments were enjoyable:D, Diedrich Bader/Sean Astin as Captain Marvel/Booster Gold, sweet.

Cool seeing Green Lantern(Hal Jordan), Martian Manhunter, Cyborg, and Swamp Thing in the new DC series:D, nice that Martian Manhunter bees funny/comical, both Mark Hamill/Crispin Freeman were great as Swamp Thing/Martian Manhunter.

Cool seeing Merlin the Wizard/John Constantine, nice that Merlin bees more likable on wanting Batman's help and less of a cranky old jerkhole in the end, Carl Reiner was great as him, cool underrated DC superheroes getting their animated debuts was great.

Cool seeing Black Adam/The Parasite, my top favorite awesome supervillains, love the Parasite's new design:D.

The Djinn Brothers Calythos, Uthool, Abnegazar, Rath, and Nyorlath were awesome new supervillains, love their cool designs.

Cool seeing Jimmy who's great/funny, Max Mittelman(Saitama/Ein Dalton) as him was great.

Captain Marvel vs. Black Adam and the DC superheroes vs. Calythos/Uthool/Abnegazar/Rath/Nyorlath were awesome fights with great action.

Rest In Peace Hall of Justice, but the Watchtower, best new headquarters like the original Justice League/Unlimited.

After seeing The Parasite/Black Adam, I'll enjoy seeing Lex Luthor, Vandal Savage, Ares, Deathstroke/Slade, Cheetah, Black Manta, Sinestro, General Zod(after his great Family Guy/Teen Titans Go! cameos), Bizarro, Mr. Mxyzptlk, Lobo, The Riddler, Killer Croc, Despero, Dr. Destiny, and the Faceless Hunter show up further episodes in the new design style:D.

• Like Like x 2
    #8 Radical, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  9. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

This premiere was really fun, better than I was anticipating. The characters are written in-character, but with enough flexibility for humor (but not cheap, over-the-top humor). The animation, while not amazing, did impress me with some of the action scenes. The voice acting is solid (Black Adam wasn't great, though), and the dialogue had me chuckling throughout. More please!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

And somewhere, Captain America and Iron Man are busting a gut.

Anyway, my thoughts are as followed; I thought this season premier was okay. The animation is good for the most part, the voice acting is great for the most part, and as a four part special, there was some semblance of a story.

If there's any problem I do have (save for some choppy limited animation and Gary's Shazaam) it's the portrayal of Wonder Woman! She's always looking for a fight, always acting headstrong, and has this saucy attitude to her even when she's not in battle. Wonder Woman can be cool sure, but I'd like if they made her more noble, benevolent and just as competent as Superman.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #10 Troy Troodon, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  11. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow, that was a better start than any Marvel action cartoon made in the past few years. Not surprising considering DC's track record of good action cartoons. It's clear they took everything they learned about what older fans and it's target audience would enjoy to make something everyone would like. Though the show is not something I'll work into my schedule, I'll definitely catch episodes I missed onDemand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I really enjoyed this premiere. A good balance between comedy and action, fun characters with some great dynamics, and a pretty cool story (one I think people could enjoy and get into even if they don't watch the episodes in order, or just on a weekly basis). The story didn't have that many surprising twists, but it was well-written and did provide a decent showcase for the heroes assembled here. And even for their villains.

I know the 11-minutes format was one of the things people were most concerned about but judging by these four episodes I think they can work some pretty awesome stuff into just one segment. Granted not every episode may be on the same level - some might be less entertaining, but others could be a lot more fun or action-packed than this.

The character designs look fine to me. To be fair I didn't really have any problem with them from the beginning, yes they are less detailed than some of the past DC Comics cartoons, but in no way horrible. They're not really that far off from their classic designs either (at least the few that have been featured so far).

It might be too early to judge it, but I liked what was shown so far. It feels great to have a show closer to the original DCAU again. I'm glad they didn't exactly go the same route they did with Teen Titans Go! - I usually enjoy that show but I wanted this to be different.

The show might be addressed to kids (more so than some of the past cartoons) but I enjoyed it as well. And I'm pretty sure I'll continue doing that. It's not as complex as Justice League/Unlimited and definitely not Young Justice, but that's alright with me. It's basically a Brave and the Bold show with a larger cast. Plus judging by these episodes, some story elements might continue in various episodes and we've got continuity. Add in some character development along the way, and everything should be fine.

Some random thoughts about the premiere movie:

- I liked how they handled Captain Marvel/Shazam. His design looked great, and he used his powers fairly well. The action scenes he participated in were fun. It's cool they added his arch-nemesis of Black Adam. He was a good antagonist and powerful enough to warrant a large number of heroes to assemble in these episodes.

- The Wizard was handled pretty well. Some of his lines were a little too silly at times but overall I think it worked. His team-up with Batman was a pretty random pairing but it did get the story to move along nicely and offered the Wizard a chance to learn not to underestimate humans.

- The fight scenes with Parasite and later on with Calythos were great. A lot of fast-paced action with both Superman and Wonder Woman going up against a villain that is slowly absorbing their powers. I really liked the opening fight scene with Superman and Parasite, the Man of Steel used his brains to make sure the villain didn't touch him. Also, I didn't think of this myself but saw it somewhere else online, that Parasite restoring his powers by absorbing cockroaches might have been a nod to Superman TAS (his first appearance there ends with him in jail, draining energy from a roach).

- Martian Manhunter's introduction was good. I like this more cheery version of the character, complete with his attempts at humor. Calythos absorbing his powers and thus his fear of fire was pretty clever. I also expected it to resort to Superman's weakness to Kryptonite, but I'm glad they didn't just copy this plot point from JLU. Instead, they borrowed from Young Justice. :p

- The Batman and Green Arrow team-up was lots of fun. I imagine we haven't seen the last of this pair and I am looking forward to more from them. The two have more than enough in common, and some differences to make an episode more enjoyable. It's cool they didn't continue using their rivalry from The Brave and the Bold, I liked that as well but it might get a little tedious after a while.

- The possessed Batman story was great, probably my favorite segment of the movie. In a way it kind of reminded me of that vampire Batman story from The Brave and the Bold. It was cool seeing the Hall of Justice (and then seeing it destroyed, like 5 minutes later) and the heroes there - Cyborg and Booster Gold. I don't think the former really did that much this time, but the latter had a very amusing role. The Booster & Batman sparring sessions were a very nice addition to the episode.

- The last segment probably had the most action and the most characters. I think it worked out great, nice seeing Plastic Man, Swamp Thing and even Constantine on the show. Their interactions were fun and it felt awesome seeing all these guys (and gal) in the same place. The Brothers Djinn were pretty good as well (though I think Ghast was missing).

- Their idea to counter the Djinn's spell was a little silly - it's straight out of the comics - but it was a fun gag and they didn't really exaggerate with it. Well, maybe Plastic Man went a little too far, but I thought it was hilarious.

- I admit I wasn't expecting Black Adam to return in the last segment. The fight was cool, and I liked they didn't forget about Shazam and brought him along as well. The "Justice League, action!" line was pretty unexpected and a fun jab at other teams like the Avengers' or even the Teen Titans' battle cries. I liked it but agree that it shouldn't be used too often.

- The new Watchtower looks pretty cool. I'm glad they squeezed in a cameo of Green Lantern (Hal) into the premiere as well.

I'll probably post more thoughts later on, but overall, this looks like it's going to be a fun show. Looking forward to more of what this show has to offer.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

Good way to start off the series. Though stuttery at times the animation is really good. The designs are simplistic, yet complex and I really like the background art. Only criticism I have is that the pacing at the end feels odd. It felt like there was an episode missing between 3 and 4.

Can't wait for more episodes on January 21st I'm guessing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Could be the most obscure easter egg, but in "Power Outage" - evidenced by Jimmy's recording, Superman and Wonder Woman fought Calythos in Mid-City Park. If it's an intended reference -- On Earth-1, Mid-City was "on the outskirts of the greater Metropolis area, possibly near Midvale."

Yup, he was.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

This is, I think, Constantine's first official appearance in animation, but that is not the case for Swamp Thing. Swampy has had his own (short-lived) animated series!

• Like Like x 2
  16. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

I thought it was okay for an old, jaded guy such as myself. ;)

Seriously, it's good to have a show here and there that skews for a younger audience. I say this knowing that the old DCAU was a rated Y7, but it certainly seemed closer in tone to the T-rated YJ.

Looking forward to next week.

• Like Like x 3
  17. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Next week - Saturday December 24th at 7:30AM - "Classic Rock" is scheduled to air, which is basically a re-run of the first 11 minutes from this movie in its original format. Same for December 31st, and I'm guessing the first weeks in January when the other 3 segments should air. Actual new episodes will probably start around mid-January.

18. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The moment he took a monster form I was instantly reminded of Vampire Batman from Brave and the Bold, since the designs were similar (particularly with the sharp teeth and wings) :cool:.

And what else did those two episodes have in common? Booster Gold ;).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

You can say that again.

I wasn't blown away, but I wasn't horribly disappointed. I'm not a big fan of the pacing. There were already signs of strain and I'm still not convinced this'll work as eleven minute segments.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  20. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that this was a pretty nice premiere. I was expecting some kind of origin story for the Justice League or a bit more of a story to connect the four episodes than what we got here, but it wasn't bad. It was just a bit different than I was expecting in that regard. The animation was nice, the voice acting was great and it has a good mix of action and comedy. There were moments and bits that actually made me laugh a bit so that was nice. The pacing was also pretty nice. It does make me think that they'll be able to make the eleven minute format work for their episodes.

Most of the characters seemed in-character for the most part. Batman seemed a bit more talkative than I'm used to seeing, especially a Batman played by Kevin Conroy, but it still worked. I liked the angel they went for Martian Manhunter and most of the heroes they included stood out pretty well. The only one that seemed out of character for me was Wonder Woman, particularly her reaction to when they thought that Parasite was killed by a meteor. She didn't have any concern or sympathy for a seemingly brutal death. It was probably to establish Superman's compassionate nature and I could understand that reaction if Parasite had some personal history with Wonder Woman, but that seemed unbelievably cold based on what I know of Wonder Woman. That stuck with me throughout the rest of the special and not in a good way.

I also hope that the whole Justice League Action battle cry doesn't become a thing for this series. It worked in Teen Titans because the characters are kids there and having a battle cry worked for younger characters. Even Avengers Assemble felt more natural because it's just as much of a command as it is a battle cry. Justice League Action just sounded so unnatural, especially coming from Batman of all heroes. It wouldn't have worked with another character much better, but that just felt so weird to hear Batman say that line. The show is clearly aimed towards kids and that's perfectly fine. I think that's its good to have good fun shows aimed at kids without talking down to them and trying to appeal to the hardcore fans at the same time. Not every show can appeal to both young and older fans and not every show should have to do that either. I just hope that they don't turn that into their battle cry because it just doesn't fit well with the characters.

Overall, it was a pretty nice premiere. It didn't amaze me, but I was entertained throughout the special and I'm interested to see if other episodes work for me as well, so I'll give more episodes a shot when they premiere next year.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1