1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Justice League Action" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Dec 24, 2016.

?

Rate and Discuss this Season of "Justice League Action"!

1. *****

10 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. ****1/2

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. ****

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Hmm, is this the first time Reyes refers to the scarab by its name Khaji-Da in animation? I think so.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

The Batman: TAS homage scene (and Blue Beetle's reaction) made the whole episode. That was awesome. They even used the original musical cue. Heck, it was amusing to even see Batman struggle with the grappling hook.

All-in-all, another really solid episode, which is why I wish I didn't have to say that Chronos had a really annoying voice. ><

Then again, if my only complaint is a villain's voice, that's not so bad at all.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. atomicbattery

atomicbattery Member

My defense of Andy Richter.
    The Chronos voice felt very '60's Hanna-Barbera villain to me, kinda Jonny Quest Dr. Zin.
    I have no idea if that was what he was actually going for, but it felt consistent with the retro-cartoon influenced visual aesthetic of this wonderful show, and like everything else in it made me smile.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Freelance Photographer

I think he was just trying to craft an obnoxious character who was just barely competent despite having access to fantiscal technology and powers. It livened up an otherwise rote time travel plot.

• Like Like x 2
  5. WebMasterSage

WebMasterSage Obey the Pecking Order.

Alan Tudyk would've done Chronos better. As Hilarious Andy Ritcher is as Conan's Sidekick, this was a Awful Casting. He just went TFS Nappa.

6. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Sorry, I don't see the connection.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

I really wish that this show would feature Wonder Woman more, especially with her live action movie coming up. You'd think someone would be saying to feature her more.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

I'm waiting for an episode with just Wonder Woman and other heroes. We've seen episodes with just Superman and other heroes and a lot of Batman and other heroes.

Sadly, Wonder Woman not having even one episode to herself (within the Trinity) is disappointing, and comes off as the same old underused or valued member of the DC Trinity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new episode of Justice League Action, today at 7:30AM ET on Cartoon Network!

[​IMG]
    Justice League Action "Under a Red Sun"
    Episode Debut - February 25th, 2017
    Story by - Shannon Denton
    Teleplay by - Heath Corson
    Directed by - Doug Murphy

Steppenwolf “boom tubes” Superman to a planet with a red sun in order to make the Man of Steel powerless. Somehow Batman and Big Barda have to locate the planet before Superman is destroyed.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Also, keep in mind this thread is only for the US airings of the show. If you want to talk about any episodes that have aired internationally before making their debut on Cartoon Network in the US, you must use spoiler tags.

10. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

1x10 Under a Red Sun

The first foray into New Gods, a Superman-centric episode, and a nice little bottle episode. I like that we got to explore a bit of the strategist side of Steppenwolf versus the invading general we saw in S:TAS many years prior contrasted with a Superman with only his wits and surroundings. I guess Superman's been around long enough that aliens like Lobo and Steppenwolf know of Superman's weaknesses already. Dug they got in a reference to Pa Kent and Superman being in the Boy Scouts when he was a boy. I couldn't help but draw comparisons to the Justice League episode "Hereafter" when Superman was stuck in a minutely similar situation. But definitely mirrors the Kamandi route so a lot of Jack Kirby influence, imo, though I pretty sure he'll show up at some point in the show.

Superman, Batman and Barda's ongoing competition of taking down the most enemies was amusing. Especially Batman and Barda on Apokolips. :D But the real joy of this episode for me was Virman. From Barda not telling Batman in time that Virman was short to Barda placing the Darkseid statue on him. Such a glutton for punishment, heh. I hope there's a WW-Barda episode this season.

And because I've watched Mask of the Phantasm way too many times, I recalled the scene when Batman jumped Joker when he was getting away on his rocket pack when I saw the part of Superman jumping Steppenwolf. I think Steppenwolf's line might have been the exact same. "Are you mad?! We'll both crash!" Then cue the random sand worm. lol.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

I thought this was a pretty fun episode with a great sounding Big Barda. It was nice to get a little insight on Darkseid and other New Gods in the show as well.

Superman fighting without his powers against Steppenwolf was pretty good. It reminded me of a recent episode from the CW Supergirl show with a red sun. Superman was pretty inventive and it was nice to see him use skills he learned as a young Clark Kent.

Batman and Big Barda's competition was pretty fun as well as their interaction with Virman. And yet at the end of the episode, Superman beats both Batman and Big Barda's count for enemy take-downs. :p

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. JoeMabbon

That was neat. They got good mileage out of the New Gods. I feel bad doing this, but I can't help but compare this to Ultimate Spider-Man. We would've had a bunch of expository cutaways explaining every little thing (Barda, parademons, etc.). That would've ruined the flow of the story. Just moving from idea/setting to the next quickly and letting the story elements speak for themselves was really the way to go.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The Red Sun gimmick is used pretty often to showcase Superman's natural abilities but I liked how this episode played out. It was cool seeing the Man of Steel use his wits to survive and defeat Steppenwolf. The stuff he came up with was pretty creative.

The Batman and Big Barda sub-plot was fun, and probably more entertaining than Superman's scenes. Nice interactions between the three heroes - this pretty much felt like a Trinity episode though with Barda in place of Wonder Woman. I agree a team-up between the two heroines would be awesome.

I liked all the Jack Kirby elements in this episode - Barda, Steppenwolf, Virman Vundabar (his scene was pretty hilarious), Parademons, Apokolips, even a cameo of Darkseid himself (looking forward to his inevitable debut on the show!).

All in all, another fun episode. After the big Batman episode last week, it's cool we got a spotlight for Superman as well. Here's hoping Wonder Woman will get the same treatment in the near future.

Here's the cast list:

Kevin Conroy - Batman
    Peter Jessop - Steppenwolf
    Jason J. Lewis - Superman
    Laura Post - Big Barda
    William Salyers - Virman Vunderbar

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Superman? New Gods? Apokolips? Am I watching a DC cartoon or reading a Jack Kirby comic brought to life :D?

An episode focusing on a hero overcoming obstacles without their powers is a dime-a-dozen in Superhero fiction, but can be a pretty effective way of showcasing how "super" a hero is even without their extraordinary abilities. And on that front I'd say this episode's take on the classic Red Sun setting was great in showing just how awesome Superman is even without his vast array of powers :cool:.

It's always cool when writers focus more on how clever and creative Superman can be rather then just relying on his powers, such as in this episode where Superman is able to foil Steppenwolf with only his brains and ingenuity in-spite of lacking his powers and being stuck on a foreign planet. And without needing Batman or Barda's help either :eek:.

Interesting to note that we had Superman squaring off against another Superman, with Peter Jessop (voice of Superman in JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time) portraying a very arrogant and conniving Steppenwolf here. Reminds me of Batman (Kevin Conroy) vs. Batman (Diedrich Bader) in Batman and Booster Gold's "sparring" in the "Night of the Bat" :harley:.

So I guess this version of Supes was actually a boy scout :rolleyes2:.

Heh. I feel like it's a tradition for Batman and Superman to playfully compete over the number of bad guys they can take out :p.

Though most of that was between Barda and Batman, showcasing that even the no-nonsense and serious Dark Knight can get in on the fun, though Superman, as always, managed to pull out a win :proud:.

Barda was a lot of fun here, competing with Batman, beating the tar out of bad guys, and getting technical with Batman when it came to who took down Virmin Vundabar. Laura Post also did a solid job voicing Barda, conveying her warrior personality and toughness quite well ;).

Barda here would definitely get along swimmingly with this show's version Wonder Woman. Just the thought of them tearing through hordes of Parademons sounds too good to resist :anime:.

While he wasn't mentioned, I hope we can see Barda together with her husband Mr. Miracle at some point :).

What did Barda do to Virman's shield? Did she reverse the kinetic force back to push him against the wall o_O?

Count me in on wanting more Wonder Woman-focused episodes. I'll say JLA Wonder Woman has certainly stolen the show in the episodes she's been in, but if Batman and Superman can have central episodes to themselves, it would be unfair for the sole female Trinity member to be left out. Especially when she has a movie coming out this year :crying:.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #94 Frontier, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  15. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

If they do so, PLEASE let her character be written by Gail Simone or Greg Rucka.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

The short answer is physics.

The long answer. Like Batman deduced, steady pressure. Which is basically a form of potential energy - the opposite of kinetic energy in general physics. So Barda applied 'static pressure' with the Mega Rod. An object at rest still has energy. Potential energy.

The shield only repels kinetic energy or energy in motion or dynamic pressure. Potential energy (generalized as pressure here) is energy at rest or static pressure.

Energy and pressure are closely related. Pressure is the result of the collisions made by gas particles. Gas particles collide very often in a gas with higher internal energy. The higher the energy per unit volume, the more collisions and thus, the higher the gas pressure.

So the shield has x amount of potential energy. Barda's use of the Mega Rod with Batman's advice has a different x amount of potential energy (note how she first does a half swing then pauses - that kinetic energy became potential energy). When two uneven potentials contact, the equilibrium results in a kinetic event - in this case Virman was sent flying into the alley.

EDIT: [Disclaimer] I don't have a degree in physics.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    #96 Yojimbo, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  17. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

I don't understand what Ultimate Spider-Man has to do with it. The show has ended and while it had its issues, it was pretty enjoyable by the end. I feel like people like to criticize that show far too much.

Now that it's over, I don't think there's a point of criticizing it some more, whether you liked it or not. I do think Justice League Action is better than Ultimate Spider-Man with these few episodes alone, but I don't feel the need to bring up USM just to bash it.
    For years, we've seen Wonder Woman get the short end of the stick and sadly, the trend doesn't seem to be ending here. Out of the next few episodes of the show, "Repulse!" and "Luthor in Paradise" have more significant focus on Wonder Woman, but as the descriptions state, she's not the only Trinity member.
    Has the show gotten any comic writers (that don't have a history in animation) to write episodes of the show? I think the next best choice would be to write Wonder Woman similar how Simone and Rucka portrayal her. They have certainly done an excellent job writing her in 2016 alone.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

No, not yet but there's still more than half the season we don't know about so it's still possible.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. JoeMabbon

It's a point of comparison. They're both superhero team-up cartoons and I couldn't help thinking about how the writers skirted around exposition that would've tripped up a lesser show.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I really liked this episode. I've always hated the stereotype some people give Superman that he's all brawn and no brain, so it's always rewarding to see an episode where Superman has to use his wits and ingenuity to come out on top.

Also, all of his lines felt very Superman-ish, from his always a boyscout line to the "And I broke my leg", all modest like. These writers totally get Superman, and I love that.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1